Regarding Local Channels "Not Available" help!

ric0chet06

Original poster
Jul 6, 2007
I'm getting extremely tired of paying $60 a month for tv I dont like. I got stuck with a 18 month contract after being pushed around. Quick recap of how my dish ordering went 6 months ago:

Attempted to order it online. Got almost to the end, then on the page where its supposed to say that my order's in, it glitched out and the web page was not right. Tried again a few days later, this time something else happened and a guy had to call me. He helped me do my order, and both times I ordered I made sure I had no contract. The guy said he'd call back after he figured out some "problem". Never called back. I believe some other person called a few days later, I had to say what I wanted all over again, and finally some dudes came out to install it. But wait, they said the job was "too big for just one person" so they had to come back tomorrow and put it in. Then, with all 3 of them standing there they gave me the contract, after they've set evertyhing up and installed. I kind of felt obligated to sign the stupid contract, even after I said i didnt want a contract.

K, so thats done with, 6 months ago. I'm getting extremely bored with the tv programming now. I dont have my local channels, which are cbs, fox, abc, etc. Survivor, lost, etc are all on those channels. I'm stuck watching speed channel, vh1, mtv, discovery all day long. My mom talked to a coworker, who signed some petition to get her local channels. Anyone heard of this? My area code is 95501, northern CA. Any help is appreciated.

Look at threads that have "moving" in the topic.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/124292-how-do-you-move.html

Understand that many times when folks discuss "moving" especially when in quotes they are not actually moving. Changing service address but keeping their original billing address with paperless billing.

SF signals probably reach your area. But I would defer to some of the more technical experts that help out on this forum.

Using a friend or relatives address that is in the qualified SF market area and just adding an apt number to the address works well.

Another option-- if you have a RV or a van or a SUV-- fill out a RV waiver with All American Direct and you can subscribe to Atlanta and SF network feeds on your equipment. Not in HD at this time.

In some areas outdoor antennas hooked up to your SAT receiver work well to get your local channels. Signals are much better in many cases than several years ago- that is if they are near you and if they broadcast in HD

Nope. No plans for local channels in Eureka from Dish.
Dish%20current%20and%20announced%20locals.gif

You do know that local channels can be picked up with a $19 rabbit ear antenna, right? I understand the frustration and wanting to get locals via satellite, but until then you don't have to be "stuck".

From the zip you gave me the following should easily be available with the cheapest of rabbit ears.

KJEM TV 3
Eureka, CA NBC
KVIQ TV 6
Eureka, CA CBS
KEET TV 13
Eureka, CA PBS
KAEF TV 23
Arcata, CA ABC
KBVU TV 29
Eureka, TV Fox

ugh. So no one knows of a "petition"? I may just have to ask this lady how she got the channels. Is is possible to just have dish hook me up with the local channels from like san francisco?

Whatever DMA your physical address is in is the only local programming Dish Network can offer you. The only way to recieve locals from a different DMA is to do what the previous posters have said to do. Either contact All American Direct and pay them for the SF DMA or get a set top antenna from your local retailer and get them for free or contact Dish and "move" your service address.

Just an FYI...with HD programming through an OTA, it looks the same as getting your locals through Dish..and the best thing..all it is gonna cost you is $20-$30 for a set top antenna...

the Philips MANT410 is an excellent set top OTA and it goes for like $28.00 at WalMart...I am 30 miles away and I recieve signal strengths between 75-89 across the board with it, and it picked up 18 digital locals

With my $30 set-top amplified antenna I get channels from 50 miles away!

Before cable, this was the way we all got TV. With HD channels, the antenna signal looks at least the same if not better than cable/satellite because there is no compression.

See ya
Tony

Get Direct TV!

Is there an email when I can send to Dish Network to carry local channels still not on Dish? Some channels are avaliable on cable tv and I believe, Direct too, but not Dish. These aren't new channels either.

you can email them, not too sure though. But it is not like it will do any good. they are launching more sats that will expand their local availability...you will just have to sit and wait until your DMA is next on the list.

I'm getting extremely tired of paying $60 a month for tv I dont like.....I kind of felt obligated to sign the stupid contract, even after I said i didnt want a contract......
Would you please explain why you don't pay the $13x12month early cancellation fee and get an OTA antenna instead ? IMO that would be a lot cheaper than paying $60x12month to continue a contract you are not happy with. TIA

Last edited:
Antenna

Go to antennaweb.org, put in your zipcode, and it will tell you what locals are available, where they come from, and what direction you would need to point an OTA antenna to get the channels.

It doesn't get much easier than that.

Then you go to the OTA forum here,:eureka and get a recommendation for the best antenna to buy based on your distance from the towers. If you can't mount the antenna yourself,:confused: you could probably even find somebody here to come over and do it for you.;)

Full service site here.......
Do you want fries with that?:D:D:D:D:D