Rumor - Free Hd Equipment From Direct?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
charper1 said:
As fast as we are growing here in the Phoenix metro (about a 35% clip) I was hoping we would be bumped into the DMA's top 12 by now. I find their data weird, being #6 by population rank, yet we are ranked #15 in their TV list.

The following suburbs (US population rank) are part of the Phoenix-Valley Area and their TV originates from Phoenix and you would think would bump us up higher than #15.

Census Growth List

Mesa #40
Glendale #79
Scottsdale #85
Chandler #113
Tempe #125
Gilbert #203 (my burb)
Peoria #209

There's a lot of upside down markets like that. Kinda weird.

IIRC - San Antonio is the biggest anomaly. They are like #10 in population - but #37 by Nielsen DMA. Either they have much less developed surburban areas, or the city limits factored for population are much larger geographically.

Houston is another city with tremendous "new growth". I know they passed Philly to become #4 in the country about 10 years ago - yet they are the #10 DMA.

Ok, I have a question... I live in New Orleans (DMA in the 40's)... I have a HD STB and a ST DVR. Since I have a HD box, I understand that I should get the opportunity to upgrade soon, but will I get the chance to upgrade both boxes?
To further compound matters, I need to install another box in my spare bedroom fairly soon (which requires a switch, crawling around a tiny attic crawlspace, cables, etc). I'd really like to do this once and only once, as I'll be putting in a ton of insulation once the wires are inplace.
Any suggestions? Wait for new boxes? Go ahead and run the double strand coax to the bedrooms in question? Go for the whole enchilada and wire the switch, the bedrooms and buy another box that will be upgraded very soon?

Sooooo confused....

It will be very interesting to see all this come to fruition. If D* is able to complete the swap-out by mail and with the current installer pool this certainly would enable them to add quite a few new subs. Especially if Longhorn's info is correct on the national HD pool and timeline. Just with Voom 21 subs alone they could add whatever is left of the 25000 sub pool and I would imagine that would happen just about the day of the announcement. Well I suppose that number is lessened by those that already locked themselves into a two year deal with Echostar.

Very exciting times! As a NFL ST (won back) sub I will be anxious to critique the full bandwidth MPEG4 broadcasts that will be coming down the pipe. I just hope it is all still 10.99/mo or I will probably only add it for review and then cancel again. Thanks for the updates LonghornXP

slacker9876 said:
It will be very interesting to see all this come to fruition. If D* is able to complete the swap-out by mail and with the current installer pool this certainly would enable them to add quite a few new subs. Especially if Longhorn's info is correct on the national HD pool and timeline. Just with Voom 21 subs alone they could add whatever is left of the 25000 sub pool and I would imagine that would happen just about the day of the announcement. Well I suppose that number is lessened by those that already locked themselves into a two year deal with Echostar.

Very exciting times! As a NFL ST (won back) sub I will be anxious to critique the full bandwidth MPEG4 broadcasts that will be coming down the pipe. I just hope it is all still 10.99/mo or I will probably only add it for review and then cancel again. Thanks for the updates LonghornXP

You also hit something right on the money. If D* is indeed going to add new national HD channels including the Voom 21 they have to start acting now because they know that customers will think twice about paying to get out of a two year contract. They need to get things in place or risk losing both new and current customers to Dish in which a good chance that they won't be coming back for at least two years. If you have just 50,000 customers that you lose for two years that is a very big deal if you intended to compete on that front.

Now on another note D* also wants to lock in a customer to them for two years as well. Right now from what it looks like is that Dish sometime after the first of the year will have HD locals in a few of the top markets along with a nice handfull of HDTV channels. D* knows that their customers have been vocal about picture quality and national HD selection and they are running very thin and running towards the end of accepting nothing. Now add that cable will be competing more and more with both satellite companies and SBC/Verizon fiber offerings. The big key right now is what company will be locking in that customer for the short term. Business today is more about the short term and if you meet the short term the long term will work itself out.

I just spoke with a contact with DirecTV and I am told that there will be some news soon.

In fact in a few minutes they have a big conference call with some big dealers out there.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I just spoke with a contact with DirecTV and I am told that there will be some news soon.

In fact in a few minutes they have a big conference call with some big dealers out there.

Maybe Robert will be able to tell us what's up :D

Scott Greczkowski said:

Well none of my contacts have heard anything new because I just called them this morning. Now if your information is the same as what I was told a few weeks ago that would be great but it gets hard to keep up sometimes.

Also Scott when you say news soon does that mean sometime "today" or later as in days later.

I don't know what soon means, I am just passing along what I have been told.

The big conference call just started a few moments ago. I should have any important details which come out of the call as soon as it is over.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I don't know what soon means, I am just passing along what I have been told.

The big conference call just started a few moments ago. I should have any important details which come out of the call as soon as it is over.

"ASK YOUR CONTACT IF WE WILL KNOW TODAY FOR CRYING OUT LOAD"

The above in uppercase and bold is yelling in excitement if my info pans out because that means excitement for all us thinking about D* as a provider.

Just talked to my contact, so far on the call the announced the NFL Sunday Ticket would be FREE to commercial establishments with an occupancy level of 150 or below if they agree to a 1 year commercial choice package.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Just talked to my contact, so far on the call the announced the NFL Sunday Ticket would be FREE to commercial establishments with an occupancy level of 150 or below if they agree to a 1 year commercial choice package.

If I adopt 149 cats and sell them fancy feast can I get free NFL Sunday Ticket it I commit to one year of total choice premier with the fancy feast 3D HD channel.

Can we get the numbers of these conference calls so we can listen in? :) That would be sooo much fun..

Scott Greczkowski said:
I hope they announce more than that because that doesn't do me any good.

I dunno Scott... as info hungry as we all are, I think any tidbit of scoop is worth hearing. Even if it doesn't pertain to consumers, it's nice to know what D* is doing. Thanks for getting us the info you did! :)

LonghornXP said:
If I adopt 149 cats and sell them fancy feast can I get free NFL Sunday Ticket it I commit to one year of total choice premier with the fancy feast 3D HD channel.
Sure you CAN! It just require the commercial choice package which is about $600/mo to start LOL!

slacker9876 said:
Sure you CAN! It just require the commercial choice package which is about $600/mo to start LOL!
OMG I had no idea the commercial accounts cost that much $$$... For that price they should get every sports deal included! Way to stick it to the bars... holy crap! :shocked

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)