Rumor - Free Hd Equipment From Direct?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
DTV TiVo Dealer said:
That's a very good question. I saw herdfan post it on TCF and thought I would research tomorrow and see if I could get an answer from DIRECTV.

Yeah I know...I had the same question myself, so I cut & pasted it....you may have noticed that I posted what you said over there also..hope it is ok?

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
Absolutely OK. I usually post here first.

-Robert
Thanks Robert...appreciate your help...I have been worrying about how to handle my HR-10-250 problem, trying to plan on not losing too many $$$$
THANKS

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
Here's the official news on the August 1, 2005 price breaks.

1. Only for new subscribers, the $50 DVR rebate will go up to $100, so a SD DVR will cost zero after the rebate.
2. The new $100 DVR rebate will be good for the HR10-250 as well.
3. The H10 or if we have the new H20 MPEG 2/4 will go down to $199 for new and existing customers. Sorry it's not going to be free.

We may also see a very small drop, something like $50 to $100 max. on the HR10-250.

To take advantage of any of the above deals the customer must agree to a 2 yr. DIRECTV service agreement.

That's All Folks!

-Robert

Wow. Now that is a let down. I don't see anything worth locking in to a two year committment for. I was hoping for a better HD-Tivo discount. Sounds like the Mpeg 4 hardware might not be just around the corner. No mention of the new HD-Tivo people were excited about. A thread so full of promise only to be dashed by a cold bucket of reality. I guess I'll wait and see what Dish offers for their Mpeg 4 solutions, blah, while Comcast continues to suck my wallet dry.

pstineme said:
Wow. Now that is a let down. I don't see anything worth locking in to a two year committment for. I was hoping for a better HD-Tivo discount. Sounds like the Mpeg 4 hardware might not be just around the corner. No mention of the new HD-Tivo people were excited about. A thread so full of promise only to be dashed by a cold bucket of reality. I guess I'll wait and see what Dish offers for their Mpeg 4 solutions, blah, while Comcast continues to suck my wallet dry.

Surprised you feel that way. Free HD MPEG-4 hardware upgrades, a lower price on the H10/20 and the HD DVR HR10-250 and more HD programming, what more could you ask for?

-Robert

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
That's a very good question. I saw herdfan post it on TCF and thought I would research tomorrow and see if I could get an answer from DIRECTV.

As far as more information, here's a brief recap of what we know.

The first generation HMC will feature 6 tuners, 2 OTA/ATSC and 4 SD/HD Satellite and is due out January 2006 and will support up to 4 SD clients. Clients can be connected via CAT 5 or coax. HMC servers can be connected together to provide more clients. Later versions should support WiFi and HD clients.

No price has been disclosed, but the model looks like a rental offer for $10/mo.

DIRECTV is also working on the next generation HD DVR (MPEG-2/4, due out around the same time.

-Robert

VE Advanced Digital Technology Dealer

Robert,

It may be Cat 6E or at least Cat 5E from what I hear.

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
Surprised you feel that way. Free HD MPEG-4 hardware upgrades, a lower price on the H10/20 and the HD DVR HR10-250 and more HD programming, what more could you ask for?

-Robert

How about what the thread started as:

"Please consider this a rumor until verified, but SatelliteGuys has learned from two seperate sources that DirecTV is planning on giving away it's HD equipment INCLUDING their new upcoming MPEG4 HD DVR's for FREE with a two year commitment."

I'm not a current customer and I see no reason to jump on a 2 year commitment.

1. I save an additional $50 on a standard dvr, not worth the extra year committment.
2. Rebate on the only HD-DVR currently available still doesn't bring its cost under $500. That is no where close to free and doesn't address the Mpeg 4 issue.
3. I like DVRs, standard or hi def, so this doesn't do much for me.

Finally "Free HD MPEG-4 hardware upgrades" I don't see this confirmed anywhere in your post let alone from Directv. No way I'm going to drop $1000 on the two HD Tivos I'd need without seeing it from the company first.

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
Here's the official news on the August 1, 2005 price breaks.

1. Only for new subscribers, the $50 DVR rebate will go up to $100, so a SD DVR will cost zero after the rebate.
2. The new $100 DVR rebate will be good for the HR10-250 as well.
3. The H10 or if we have the new H20 MPEG 2/4 will go down to $199 for new and existing customers. Sorry it's not going to be free.

We may also see a very small drop, something like $50 to $100 max. on the HR10-250.

To take advantage of any of the above deals the customer must agree to a 2 yr. DIRECTV service agreement.

That's All Folks!

-Robert
If you look at item 3 it says the the HD-DVR will drop to $199 for new and existing customers and that is before the $100 rebate. $100 is a far cry from 1000 or 500 dollars.

No the H10 is a just a plain HD box, no dvr. From what I've read, the H20 or whatever is just the successor to the H10. So basically that would be an H10 with MPEG 4 capabilities and no dvr.

DTV TiVo Dealer said:

-Robert

The HD DVR HR10-250 will do us no good!!! We won't be able to see the new HD feeds because they will be MPEG-4.

This is not a good situation at all!!!

Well, they are ASSUMING that they will swap out HR10-250s for free. No guarantee so I can't see any reason to be a new new sub right now.

pstineme said:
Well, they are ASSUMING that they will swap out HR10-250s for free. No guarantee so I can't see any reason to be a new new sub right now.

When the HD locals (LIL) are online and the HMC(Mpeg4) is available then it will be worth the 2 year commitment. And now that sounds like next year.

Its Déjà vu all over again for us displaced voomers.

More than 100,000 HR10-250's have been sold to date and most at $999.99 plus tax and these folks have been enjoying their HD DVR service and could not have been happier.

Now we will see more HD content, the HD DVR drop to under $500, non-recordable HD receivers are under $200. The features of the HR10-250 are unmatched by any other multi-channel provider.

This is all we will see until sometime in 2006. So you have all of the information to make the decision that fits you best.

-Robert

If the two year commitment is too much for you then I invite you to call Robert at ValueElectronics and order your High Tech DirecTV receivers NOW this way you are only stuck with a 1 year commitment.

I actually met with someone last week who knew more about whats going on behind the scenes, he told me what I posted as a rumor was "mostly accurate" however the dates may change. It seems like they are awaiting for their satellites to be in place and operational before making the big announcements.

Because of the problems they have been having with their satellites (including almost losing Spaceway 1 yesterday) I am sure their plans have been thrown back a ways.

Yes I'm sure there are a lot of happy owners. But the whole premise of the thread was the fact that Directv was going to have big price breaks or free after rebates. Seems like this thread should be unstickied and maybe the title changed. The rumors didn't live up to the hype.

Edit for new above post: I have no problem with a two year commitment if it contains value. To ME, the new deal being reported is not a value at a two year commitment.

I am confident they will will have large price breaks or free equipment when everything is ready. I also would not be surprised if the 2 year commitment date is moved out until the other promo is ready.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)