Rumor - Free Hd Equipment From Direct?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The fax is now posted in post one of this thread.

But here it is again if you missed it. :)

Attachments

• dirctvletter.pdf
    133 KB · Views: 815
The fax does not say a new HD DVR will be free. It says that they will have an aggressive offer that will require a 2 year commitment. Also this notice is being sent to retailers. That implies the subscriber is purchasing something. I doubt this has any impact on any swap-out/upgrade offer from D* for existing HD-Tivo or HD users. It does imply that they will retail new HD DVR's for less than the $1000-$700 that we paid.

The fax talks about NEW subscribers. I have 3 e-86's and 1 HD-tivo. Did I miss where they mentioned a swap out for existing subs?

A lot can be read into the release.

'If' they include mpeg4 DVR's and can compete with E* HD package, I'd seriously consider going back to D*. I've already got the triple LNB's just begging to be put to use.

Will wait and see what comes down the pipe.

This might even get Charlie's attention. :D

Thanks Scott!

Folks this is just part 1 of a multi part announcement.

Read Paragraph one again.

They are planning agressive offers for the third quarter of 2005, do you really think that the agressive offer is to rope people into a 2 year contract?

There is more to it and that being free equipment. This is what I am being told. This letter to retailers is the first part of whats coming down the line. :)

For them to get me to agree to a two year agreement there better be at least 20 HD channels not counting locals for what I'm paying now and this HMC thing better blow my socks off.

With all that has been going on with them lately, no new HD $99 HD games for sunday ticket. I'm not cutting them any slack.

I would switch from Cox to DirecTV if this becomes reality. Do you get free installation with this deal too.

f300v10 said:
The fax does not say a new HD DVR will be free. It says that they will have an aggressive offer that will require a 2 year commitment. Also this notice is being sent to retailers. That implies the subscriber is purchasing something. I doubt this has any impact on any swap-out/upgrade offer from D* for existing HD-Tivo or HD users. It does imply that they will retail new HD DVR's for less than the $1000-$700 that we paid.
Bingo. I dont see anything in here other than : "dealers you must sell a 2 yr commitment for new advance hardware and we are raising cancellation fees". Where is all of this GREAT stuff in the message? A 2 year commitment?:rolleyes:

I'm not really happy with a two year lock. Example, when they start this new offer and get rid of HD lite and I make the commitment. Then 12 months into it D* decides to go back to HD-Lite, I'm screwed. I would like to see them also have an option of paying for the hardware with no commitment for us untrusting folks.

vurbano said:
Bingo. I dont see anything in here other than : "dealers you must sell a 2 yr commitment for new advance hardware". Where is all of this GREAT stuff in the message? A 2 year commitment?:rolleyes:

There is more coming. :)

Again the letter says "aggressive offers" are coming. So far the only thing aggressive mention is a 2 year commitment on DVR's and HDTV receivers.

I am sure there are people waiting in lines just waiting for the exciting 2 year commitment. (NOT)

There is more to come. :D

Also this letter only talks about New Customers, thats because this letter is going to retailers, whos focus is to sell and install to new customers. It is very rare that the dealers find out about existing customer offers.

The bigger piece of the pie is this will help them transition into MPEG4.

rad said:
I'm not really happy with a two year lock. Example, when they start this new offer and get rid of HD lite and I make the commitment. Then 12 months into it D* decides to go back to HD-Lite, I'm screwed. I would like to see them also have an option of paying for the hardware with no commitment for us untrusting folks.
with ya on this one for sure...

two years is a long time for a commitment, but if it is free upgrades, you can understand where they are coming from.

rad said:

#1 I'm excited that something is "starting" to happen.
#2 I can't see myself doing that...it better be a sweet deal, very sweet w/no price increases during the commitment....
#3 buy, rent, or "possible" free............hey, at least some options....

I'm leaning on renting......but since I'm #54 on the list, I'll just watch/read how the subs in the 1st group get taken care off.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)