Rumor - Free Hd Equipment From Direct?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I would assume the good news is to follow. Generally, "aggressive offers" doesn't normally refer to aggressively sticking it to customers and so far that's what they're saying. There must be a quid pro quo.

I think there should be some kind of Service level agreement to go along with a 2 year comitment like stated above HD Lite just won't cut it.

steverobertson said:
I think there should be some kind of Service level agreement to go along with a 2 year comitment like stated above HD Lite just won't cut it.

LOL, it would be a first where a service agreement doesn't basically say the company can do whatever they want to too bad for you.

I will be looking forward to getting an MPEG2 HD-Tivo really cheap then when people starting have no use for them :)

rad said:
LOL, it would be a first where a service agreement doesn't basically say the company can do whatever they want to too bad for you.

Well I may push for one with the Office of the president just to bust their chops and see what they have to say just for some fun and let them know we are watching them

Heh... I'm trying to think of creative uses for my beloved D* tivo after the next gen boxes are out. I'm sure there will be a slew of people posting online of things they modded their old boxes out to do. :)

I wouldn't be getting rid of anything till had the other in my hand............and besides, what good is a HDDVR with no HD to record

Not sure..

Not sure if this is part of the plan, or if this has already been discussed before, but when i called in to cancel my service yesterday, the retention rep told me that starting in the late July/August timeframe, they would be offering rentals on new HD-DVR equipment, if I would just hold on a little longer as a customer.

Sounded like they were trying to overcome the barrier to the high-prices of some of the top-end equipment that some folks are lamenting and going to other services for.

vurbano said:
IF they dont offer some kind of compensation for existing HDtivo owners then they can go Fk themselves. Sell it for 700 bucks one day then give something better away for free the next?

That's the chance you take with this stuff though. It's also why I'd never spend $1,000 on a sat. DVR. It's like cell phones. They start out at $400 and within a year they are free.

ummmm I got a queston . Who gets to own the free equipment D* or the customer? If its D* whats the big deal? e* has been doing this for years

I have had my HD TIVO for just about year now and it has been worth every penny so far no regrets on this from me.

If you choose a rental option on the new equipment for D*. At what point do you stop paying a monthly rental fee? Is there a set price once you have obtained through your rental fee's do you then actually own the equipment?

I ask b/c I have D* & Bright House. I pay a monthly rental fee for the remote and HD receiver with BH. Over the long haul monthly fees add up to yearly fees and so on.

Any thoughts??

I just hope they have some new HD ch's as well. I would hate to get all this new equipment for the HD that they offer now. Which is not enough for me.

rkr0923 said:
I wouldn't be getting rid of anything till had the other in my hand............and besides, what good is a HDDVR with no HD to record

I agree on the first part - as far as the 2nd part, the vast majority of my HD recordings are OTA networks. Assuming you could maintain an account with Tivo, it'll hold it's value (somewhere below whatever the price new) for awhile.

steverobertson said:
I have had my HD TIVO for just about year now and it has been worth every penny so far no regrets on this from me.

IF someone paid 1000.00 for it, had it a year and D* makes it obsolete or useless and starts giving away a better one for free then they inessence paid an $83.34 rental fee every month (12mo.). A reallyyyyy BAD deal. D* has to give existing HDtivo owners some kind of compensation for this.

I don't think they are going to be giving away free boxes, but rather leasing them. At least that's what I remember Longhorn telling me. Still doesnt intice me if they'll continue to have HD-Lite and a crappy lineup

whoops, didn't realize there's already 4 pages to this thread, so I imagine everything I just said has been talked about

I want to point out that this rumor did not say it was for new or exisiting customers. If I had to guess I would say that the free equipment would first be offered to new customers. Exisiting customers would be able to upgrade to MPEG4 for agreeing to a service commitment.

This is just MY guess on the matter and is not back up by any facts anywhere. :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts