SciFi channel HD??

Please describe to us again how Atlantis and Battlestar Galactica look in HD.

Can't speak for Battlestar yet as the only HD feed I have seen is on Universal HD, but Atlantis looks great! The details are crisp and there is an obvious improvement in color, detail, and overall image quality over the SD which should be pretty obvious. The fabric detail on the uniforms is clearly visible. Looks much better than the locals Direct has in HD for me. I haven't noticed any problems with the SciFi HD PQ. Much better than what most of the stuff on dish looks like now, which is sad.

BSG: Razor looked great on SciFi HD. I don't watch SG: Atlantis, but have tuned in every so often just to see the PQ and it too looks great. Tin Man also looked very good.

I take it back. After previously saying that the SciFi channel doesn't have much to offer I saw "DR. WHO." I'm hooked. Would love to see this series in HD. When is DISH catching up with the rest of the world???

Dr. Who is not done in HD. It is only widescreen SD, so you will not see in HD ever. Torchwood Dr. Who spin off is in HD however. You can see it on HDNET.

I don't know what the budget for the new Dr. Who is (I thought the BBC was having budget cutbacks across the board the past few years, so I was surprised to hear they were going HD), but the original Dr. Who was for years the cheapest-looking program around. The special effects on the early episodes made Red Dwarf look professional.

B&w

I don't know what the budget for the new Dr. Who is (I thought the BBC was having budget cutbacks across the board the past few years, so I was surprised to hear they were going HD), but the original Dr. Who was for years the cheapest-looking program around. The special effects on the early episodes made Red Dwarf look professional.
The early episodes of Dr Who were done 30 yrs ago and in B&W. Now are you talking about the early episodes of the new series?

No, I was talking about the original series. I just wanted to comment that the BBC isn't known for having a big budget.

The producers of Dr. Who readily admit that it is low budget. Why do you think so many monster/villains appear so often? Makeup and special effects budgets are non-existent. When they create a monster he stays around for a while. So far we haven't had the usual SciFi plots we have all seen, i.e. 1. Dr. Who splits in two...the good Dr. Who and the bad Dr. Who... 2. his evil twin brother appears, 3. Dr. Who looses his memory ...ooops they did that one, 4. An all powerful entity needs a ride on the TARDIS....oooops they did that one also. As Emily Latella would say.............. Nevermind.

Dont forget the ones where he meets his previous selves. Many of the actors are still around. A possibility, I forget her name but they could bring back the blond time lord who went to the parallel universe with K9. Many people like blonds. :D

Dr. Who is not done in HD. It is only widescreen SD, so you will not see in HD ever. Torchwood Dr. Who spin off is in HD however. You can see it on HDNET.
Doctor Who may not be in HD, but widesccreen SD (when it is broadcast and takes the full screen) looks pretty good. Torchwood looks incredible.

I was under the impression that Doctor Who had started broadcasting HD last season, but I can't find anything that says so.

Also, interesting trivia tidbit ... Torchwood is an anagram of Doctor Who.

Also, interesting trivia tidbit ... Torchwood is an anagram of Doctor Who.

IIRC the reason for the name was to prevent leaks by fooling those BBC people who didnt need to know anything about the first Dr Who episode. So the tape was labeled Torchwood and hidden in plain sight. "Huh? Torchwood? Never heard of it". But that could be folklore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)