Seattle HD Locals

cebbigh said:
Charles,

All of this is in the works and you should have KCPQ HD in your Dish system very soon.

Michael Z. Goodman
Director of Engineering
Tribune Television Northwest
1813 Westlake Ave. North
Seattle, WA. 98109

sharkdanger said:
I sent an email and got this response:

I do not know when KCPQ Seattle will be included in the local HD package as the two companies are still working out Re-transmission agreements on a national level, sorry.

Michael Z. Goodman
Director of Engineering
1813 Westlake Ave. North
Seattle, WA. 98109

I wonder which one is the latest info? The top one is certainly more encouraging. Can you guys tell us the dates your replies were received?

sharkdanger said:
I sent an email and got this response:

I do not know when KCPQ Seattle will be included in the local HD package as the two companies are still working out Re-transmission agreements on a national level, sorry.

Michael Z. Goodman
Director of Engineering
1813 Westlake Ave. North
Seattle, WA. 98109

I wonder why national level retransmission agreement discussions would only impact the Seattle Fox HD station. No other Fox station on the "List" appears to be affected, even Spokane and Yakima, WA. They approved the SD channel here, why would HD even be in question? It has to be a local consent problem.

The two different responses has me concerned as to whether we'll ever see KCPQ in HD now. SD wasn't an issue, so like rixhd said, why would HD even be in question?

I'm not seeing any strobing effect on any of the 3 HD locals with my 622. The audio sync problem with KOMO went away with the last reboot my receiver put itself through about a week or so ago...

cebbigh said:
"All of this is in the works and you should have KCPQ HD in your Dish system very soon."

The time stamp on the e-mail I received was:

Mon 5/15/2006 9:14 AM

sharkdanger said:
"I do not know when KCPQ Seattle will be included in the local HD package as the two companies are still working out Re-transmission agreements on a national level, sorry."

Timestamp on my received reply was:

Tue 5/23/2006 5:53 PM.

Hmmmm, it does look like things are going in the wrong direction.

Seattle Voom and 129

I am using a 942 I have a Dish 1000 as well as a Dish 500 pointed at 61, but I have a 622 here ready to hook up. I am waiting and hoping to get the upcoming 1000.2 dish. I get blockyness every 20 mins or so watching Voom. So I think I need a bigger better dish.

I do have a Dish 500 pointed at 61, I wonder if I would do better to have it repointed at 129. Or if the 1000.2 will fix this problem.

Anyone in Seattle have another solution?

Thanks

rixhd said:
I wonder why national level retransmission agreement discussions would only impact the Seattle Fox HD station. No other Fox station on the "List" appears to be affected, even Spokane and Yakima, WA. They approved the SD channel here, why would HD even be in question? It has to be a local consent problem.

The agreement would be between Tribune Broadcasting and Dish, not FOX. Tribune is the station that owns KCPQ, along with many stations across the country (WGN is their flagship). I bet if you looked, there wouldn't be any Trib stations in HD on Dish right now.

pbrown said:
The agreement would be between Tribune Broadcasting and Dish, not FOX. Tribune is the station that owns KCPQ, along with many stations across the country (WGN is their flagship). I bet if you looked, there wouldn't be any Trib stations in HD on Dish right now.

You're right. The only other Fox station owned by Tribune that has HD LIL is KTXL in Sacramento and it is marked for retransmission approval also. There are two other Fox stations not owned by Tribune that are marked for retransmission approval also, XETV in San Diego and KSAT in San Antonio. I missed them in my last post. Doing a page search doesn't always pick them up for some reason.

delos said:
I do have a Dish 500 pointed at 61, I wonder if I would do better to have it repointed at 129. Or if the 1000.2 will fix this problem.

Yes, you will most likely do better with the 2nd dish pointed at 129 than even a 1000.2 could do. If I were you I would tweak the 1000 you have now to 110 & 119 and point the 2nd dish to 129. You will always get a better signal if the dish is devoted to just one bird rather than 3 birds.:D :D

I'm going to try the 1000.2 when it's out and see if that fixes my problems with 129. I don't really want two dishes outside... If the D1000.2 doesn't resolve the problem, then I'll have no choice but to go to 2 dishes, but E* shouldn't be using such a lousy sat for HD anyway.

Sent a reply email back to KCPQ asking if they have any status on when it will happen. It has the initial response from them attached. Doubt I'll hear anything until Tuesday. Just feel it's best if they know there are viewers out here that want it.

Last edited:
long_time_DNC said:
I'm going to try the 1000.2 when it's out and see if that fixes my problems with 129. I don't really want two dishes outside... If the D1000.2 doesn't resolve the problem, then I'll have no choice but to go to 2 dishes, but E* shouldn't be using such a lousy sat for HD anyway.

If the 1000.2 doesn't fix it we are in bad shape. I still experience picture breakup with two 500's. It's short in duration and I don't loose the transmission/recording entirely, like I did with the 1000, but it does get annoying.

I appreciate that the response came so early the day after a holiday. From the earlier posts, I agree the local station probably has little to say about it. But then again it can't hurt for us to let them know it is important to us. If I could rely on the OTA 100% of the time from KCPQ I wouldn't care.

Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2006 6:04 PM
To: Goodman, Michael Z.
Subject: RE: dishnetwork retransmission request

Is there any new information regarding when this will be made available?

Reply: Tue 5/30/2006 7:05 AM

None as of yet

Michael Z. Goodman
Director of Engineering
1813 Westlake Ave. North
Seattle, WA. 98109

Here's the response I received today on my inquiry on when KCPQ would show up on Dish Network in HD:

When the satellite providers and our parent company reach an agreement on Re-Transmission, so it is out of our hands on the local level, but will happen at some point soon we hope.

Michael Z. Goodman
Director of Engineering
1813 Westlake Ave. North
Seattle, WA. 98109

I hope so soon too...

long_time_DNC said:
Here's the response I received today on my inquiry on when KCPQ would show up on Dish Network in HD:

I hope so soon too...

I got pretty much the same response. It's in the interest of KCPQ for it to happen. It boils down to contracts being negotiated at the corporate level. There isn't much we can do but write letters/e-mails to both sides to encourage them to move the process along.

What is Michael Z. Goodman's e-mail address? I trust that those who are reading this thread won't spam him, but I, for one, would like to send a thoughtful note that I, too, am anxiously looking forward to KCPQ-HD on Dish...

I went to:

http://ekb.dbstalk.com/110list.htm

Then clicked on the link to KCPQ and sent a message to the links there. Overall I am very pleased with the prompt replies. But I am sorry to say that it is a matter out of KCPQ's control based on his responses. The local station wants it just as much as we do. But it isn't their decision to make. Mr Goodman has been very forthcoming and honest in his responses to me. I believe him when he says he doesn't know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)