Set to get installed Feb 21st

Good luck! And happy birthday in advance!

Good Luck...I had mine scheduled for Today...21st....Canx for the second time...El Paso, TX area...GOOD LUCK...

Shawn95GT said:
My installer called this morning to verify the 12-5 install window. It's 12:30 now :). anytime now.

Shawn
Good luck Shawn. Let us know how the install goes. You also mentioned in the Phoenix thread that you will be getting the larger dish. I'd be interested to know how your reception is this week (with the storms expected). The last rain storms were a bit much for me - I completely lost the signal a few times.

randyoh said:
My 40th birthday present to me! :D

Nice of you to Hang yourself on your 40th birthday, just to give the kitty a toy to play with. Great Avatar!!!!!!!!

My installer made it! He had to go get a bigger ladder so he left me the STBs to get into place.

All except one came up to an install menu to set the screen resolution. The 'main' one comes up with the Voom logo and 'Staring please wait' then the screen goes blank. I figured this one out. Apperantly my TV doesn't like Voom's 720p. 1080i / 480i/p work fine. 1080i it is!.

I'm just waing for the installer to return with a longer ladder (he brought a 20' and I have a two story house). He didn't bring a 24" dish but he assures me that the 18" will do the trick. I kind of expected this.

He was glad to use my existing OTA antenna as well as the 'mast' from what was left of an existing E* dish.

The STBs are now all installed and we just need a dish and few coax cables (wall to STB) to be in business.

Shawn

Rain and Phoenix...

RPacion said:
Good luck Shawn. Let us know how the install goes. You also mentioned in the Phoenix thread that you will be getting the larger dish. I'd be interested to know how your reception is this week (with the storms expected). The last rain storms were a bit much for me - I completely lost the signal a few times.

Rain in Phoenix?

Suffering rain withdrawal in Seattle, Gill

Well, happy birthday to me, the installer called yesterday and said he was in Michigan, not in Ohio on Mondays and the Voom people know that and should not have set up the install for Monday. :confused: So he is suppose to come today, Tuesday 2/22 between 8am & Noon, so with this info, we'll start taking the wagers...even money till 8am ET :D

randyoh said:
Well, happy birthday to me, the installer called yesterday and said he was in Michigan, not in Ohio on Mondays and the Voom people know that and should not have set up the install for Monday. :confused: So he is suppose to come today, Tuesday 2/22 between 8am & Noon, so with this info, we'll start taking the wagers...even money till 8am ET :D

let me know if they do not come by noon?

I'm sorry to hear it. My install went without a hitch yesterday. The rain even waited for the installer to get done!

A couple hours after he left the rain started and hasn't let up since. It's a lot of rain for us but it's really more a heavy drizzle. I didn't get and wouldn't expect rain fade in this kind of weather. I haven't seen the signal go below 94 and I checked it again this morning (still raining) and the signal is at 96!

This is the standard 18" dish.

Make sure the installer shows you how to re-scan the local channels. You will likely need to do it again once the recievers pull down the 737 update. Mine wouldn't lock on to some of the channels until I had re-scanned the locals long after the installer left.

Shawn

This worked out exactly as everyone here said it would. They just called and said they could not make it today. :mad: The installer has the flu. I ended up using 2 vacation days for this and unhooked all my equipment twice for nothing. I called and cancelled Voom.

randyoh said:
This worked out exactly as everyone here said it would. They just called and said they could not make it today. :mad: The installer has the flu. I ended up using 2 vacation days for this and unhooked all my equipment twice for nothing. I called and cancelled Voom.

you should have let me call the field manager he is my boss he would have got them to send someone else or and a different company come. What is the name of the company?

randyoh said:

I really hope that you give Voom another shot. My first installation date was also a bust since the installers did not bring out a 40ft ladder as they were supposed to per our initial phone calls. They then told me that they were going to charge me $80 for bringing out their 40ft ladder and I would have to wait at least a week to have another installation date. With the help of Tyork and the field manager, they were back out to my house two days later with the 40ft ladder and no extra charge for the ladder.

I can definitely understand your anger towards having two consecutive appointments cancelled. However, let TYORK get to work to help you and give Voom another chance. To their credit, they called you the day before your first install to cancel instead of making you wait around all day for them. With the second missed install, it is hard to fault an installer for having the flu.

I knew getting Voom installed would not be an easy experience and it wasn't. However, I would be really pissed at myself right now if I had cancelled Voom after my first install appointment since I am loving every minute spent watching Voom :)

In a few months, I doubt that I will even remember the initial trouble getting Voom installed....maybe the fantastic picture quality on my 65" Mits has a mind-controlling effect.....

randyoh said:

The best i could do for randyoh is have another installer come from a different area today. but he didn't want to wait because there was a chance they could not be there before noon. Sorry randyoh that was the best i could do for you.

tyork

TYORK said:
The best i could do for randyoh is have another installer come from a different area today. but he didn't want to wait because there was a chance they could not be there before noon. Sorry randyoh that was the best i could do for you.

tyork

This sounds like a very good solution to me. Hopefully, randyoh will change his mind and give Voom another chance once some time has passed. With the rumors about increased channel offerings in March and possibly a DVR in the next few months - I think that Voom is only going to get better. Plus, the new offer posted on their website today is quite attractive.

randyoh said:

I'm sorry to hear you cancelled. I know it is tough when you are the sole provider and caregiver for your kids. Why not just use TYORK to help you get setup and do it on a weekend?

Believe me I understand your anger. You should have seen my posts on AVSforum and on the VOOM/Yahoo forum (hadn't discovered satguys yet) dealing with no shows, incompetent installers, etc.

However, we have been VOOM subscribers since Dec. '03 and wouldn't give it up Period.

VOOM will do right by you given a chance.

Still enjoying HDTV under clear, cloudless and rainless Seattle skies, Gill

My final thoughts on this.

First of all, I am a working stiff. My major outlay for entertainment is my television. I don't have them money to spend going to movies or concerts, I just have my tv.

Second of all, being a working stiff, I get 1 week of vacation a year. 5 days. Usually spent on day trips. 5 small trips a year. So, when my installer canceled on the 21st, I had not made any other plans for that day, only to sit around and watch and enjoy Voom. Still not a total loss, I did laundry after calling my boss and begging for another day off. I then made plans to be in Dayton (50 miles from where I live) by 3pm (as a backup in case something else happened with my install, having already wasted 1 vacation day). The installer canceled the 22nd with the flu story (saying the installer missed both days because of the flu after the guy told me the 21st he was out of state, so not only did they miss both days, they lied to me), I said I had taken vacation to do this and they offered to send someone from a different area, I asked if they would meet the 12 noon window they had agreed to, they said no. I told them I already had plans for the afternoon and declined. I called and cancelled Voom.

What people don't seem to realize is, WE ARE THE CUSTOMERS! I shouldn't have to jump through hoops for them, they should be doing this for me! I'm not going to feel bad about this because they have have no idea what customer service is all about.

I appriciate the help TYORK gave me. I do not blame Voom for any of this, I blame the installers. I will wait to see if the DVR and extra channels appear and if they do I will give this another chance, probably next year after I earn my next weeks' vacation.

Anyway, this forum is to post install expiriences, and that was mine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)