Setup for grandma

I believe many are under estimating seniors. An old buddy of mine who turned 83 last month wouldn't be without his hr24 from Directv.

Heck our own senior member Bobby is a hopper3 guru, just ask him anything. :) I'm almost certain he got his h3 before Scott....lol

I believe many are under estimating seniors. An old buddy of mine who turned 83 last month wouldn't be without his hr24 from Directv.

Heck our own senior member Bobby is a hopper3 guru, just ask him anything. :) I'm almost certain he got his h3 before Scott....lol
Wait till you live through it with your parents. That is where I am coming from. Was not a positive experience for any of us (computers with Dad, TV with Mom). Now that they are both gone, it resonates even louder with me.

Wait till you live through it with your parents. That is where I am coming from. Was not a positive experience for any of us (computers with Dad, TV with Mom). Now that they are both gone, it resonates even louder with me.

me too. my mom died at 65, but had troubles with dish from the day i installed it.

before you get involved with a 2 year contract, take your senior to a home with the dish setup you want to get them, and see if they get it

One might know that Bob would bring such a rosy turn to the conversation. He has such a cheery disposition. Every time I see a Bob Haller post, I think of Eore off of Winnie the Pooh, and a black cloud following someone around. LOL

One might know that Bob would bring such a rosy turn to the conversation. He has such a cheery disposition. Every time I see a Bob Haller post, I think of Eore off of Winnie the Pooh, and a black cloud following someone around. LOL

it is what it is, some elderly like my mom just wanted to push up and down

DVRs as wonderful as they are may be above their pay grade:(

Reactions: Troch77 and KAB
My grandma's finally receptive to a change in TV providers. I'm thinking DISH for her, I looked at DirecTV and they are cheaper for the first year, but DISH comes out cheaper with the 3-year price lock. I don't know what receiver setup would be best. She has 2 HDTVs and no need for a DVR. I would like to have an antenna set up for sub channels and our local MyTV which is HD OTA, but not on DISH.
I would get a 211 or Hopper w/sling. It's easy to use and fun and not expensive. OTA meh :p

Yeah I think I installed a 311 for grandma to use and we were cancel Comcast that only she used. Yeah that made it about 2 days....the 311 was uninstalled

it is what it is, some elderly like my mom just wanted to push up and down

DVRs as wonderful as they are may be above their pay grade:(
I was actually talking about the part where you had to mention that your mother died at 65, with all due respect to her, I don't know how that was germane to the conversation. Just part of your Debbie Downer attitude I suppose.

My parents who are both in their middle 60's both navigate their Hopper and Joey system quite well. They wouldn't know what do do without a DVR to pause, skip commercials, and record the shows they enjoy that come on later or when another program is airing.

My parents who are both in their middle 60's both navigate their Hopper and Joey system quite well. They wouldn't know what do do without a DVR to pause, skip commercials, and record the shows they enjoy that come on later or when another program is airing.
Yeh, well they, like me are "pre-seniors":D But how would your GRANDPARENTS fair (if still alive)? That is the subject here.

Yeh, well they, like me are "pre-seniors":D But how would your GRANDPARENTS fair (if still alive)? That is the subject here.
All of my grandparents are now deceased, they would however be in their mid to late 90's and well over 100 of still living, so, probably not very well with change were they still here at that age :)

Reactions: KAB
My parents are in their late 70's and I am sorry but I am happy to help them with their technology, cell phones, tablets. computers, DVR whatever. It is the least I can do after all they did and sacrificed for my brothers and I while growing up.

Agree, My mother is 75 and doesn't give a crap about dvr, smart phones or any of that other premium luxuries.
She is happy with a $7 a month receiver with a user interface that she can navigate without issues.

Why throw in an New user interface and DVR on a system they are not familiar with?
Sorry guys but I'm going to give my mother what's she wants and what's she's used to,
Not what Satelliteguys Tech Junkies think we should do.

She gets $1150 a month to live on.
Food, Electric, and Normal telephone are required, Not DVR fees, multiple hoppers, smart phones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

It's one thing to have "become" a senior having kept up with the tech. A whole other thing to take someone like a Grandma who did not give a S and throw them into a new world they no nothing of.
That's the biggest issue about this thread.
I get questions with the 211z, Not many but enough I wouldn't toss a Joey into the mix.
When she may have to pick a Tuner, How about when another recording grabs a Tuner.
Yeah not everyone has been a Satelliteguys member since 2002.

Not everyone has this as a Hobby.
My Mother hangs out at the senior center, Goes outside and enjoys the weather, When she comes inside, she wants to be able to do what she has for the last 50 years in front of the TV.
Watch live programming.
And I certainly wouldn't wait for the Wally.
The 211s are prefected.
That New UI , has issues.
Issues that Bug me , that would certainly raise her blood Pressure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)