Shaw Direct On Demand

lumiere

Original poster
May 18, 2013
Mexico
What is the restriction on using Shaw Direct On Demand in the US?

Technical or legal?

I do understand that a 600 series receiver is necessary.

Thanks

I'm going to chime in here and say... Legal.. a U.S based IP address for a Canadian service... My mother just got SD installed today, and I talked with the installer. I asked a few hypotheticals.. about taking my receiver to camp, or venturing off into the U.S (I'm Canadian). He alluded to saying: if you install the dish yourself at camp, you can bring your receiver from home... and you won't have to pay for a second account, and don't connect it to any sort of phone line. If you go into the US... good luck, as the satellite beam is getting tighter to prevent people in the U.S from receiving the signals, they're _NOT_ supposed to have SD services just like we're not allowed to have Dish or DirectTV. In the remote chance you go into the US and do pick up SD... don't ever ever ever ever.. (yeah, he actually said ever 4 times) connect it to a phone or internet connection --- your account will get flagged and suspended almost immediately.

Not true. I have told CSRs in the past that I am using SD in the us. It is fine, they even have a home away from home program with Shaw Direct

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

With the launch of G1 and availability of the new channels, Shaw Direct have recently made significant changes to Home Away From Home.

If you are already on HAFH, you will continue to get what you have now but you will not get any support for G1 at your HAFH service location.

If you aren't officially on HAFH before May 31st, you are SOL. You can set up a second account at 75% of the first account fee if you like.

As for their Video on Demand, regardless of any legal/location requirements, the addition of VOD was one of the reasons I cancelled Shaw Direct as the initial firmware update they pushed out for VOD support pushed my 630 over the edge.

When testing VOD with a 630 on my Shaw internet service in Calgary, it reported significantly different speed results than any other test I ran.

When testing on a 4 Mbps wireless ISP, I could barely get sufficient speed to support Standard Definition, no HD VOD streams at all.

As far as HAFH works I'd just activate any additional receivers on one account and just keep quiet about it. Similar to what Canadians do to sub to Direct or Dish in Canada.

As far as HAFH works I'd just activate any additional receivers on one account and just keep quiet about it. Similar to what Canadians do to sub to Direct or Dish in Canada.

Just make sure you have the same LNB at both locations. If you have an xKu LNB at Location #1, then you should have an xKu LNB at Location #2. Because the V-Codes for all receivers on the account should be the same.

Although technically different receivers could have different V-Codes. But if you had them, it would raise red flags with Shaw Direct.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)