Signal quality different on two receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dzinkin

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Okay, you guys were right... I didn't get another dish but I did get another receiver!

I replaced the LNBF that came with the Winegard 2076 with a Fortec Star FSKU4V (thank you, Sadoun). One line still runs to my Coolsat 5000, while another now runs to my Geosatpro DVR1000CI (the other two are connected to the LNBF but not used right now).

Why is the signal strength equal (87-90) on the Coolsat and the Geosatpro while the quality is markedly different? It's also in the high 80s on the Coolsat, while on the Geosatpro it's close to 10%. Makes scanning transponders a bit difficult. :-(

I've got a feeling that I'm missing something obvious, but apparently it's not obvious enough, at least for me. Can any of you gentlemen offer some advice, please? Much appreciated.

Different receivers show different readings. But check if you have set LO frequency properly on the Geosatpro receiver...

1-Make sure LNBF settings are correct and identical in both receivers
2-Use the same TP to compare.

Even if the above is correct , the quality reading will differ from receiver to another. It has to do with how the receiver meter is calibrated.

10% seems low if the above two points are met. In that case, try swaping the cables ends at the LNBF side and notice if you see improvement in receiver two. Also check the coaxial and connectors.

each receiver is different in terms of the meter

As an example, the Coolsat "threshold" is 63 and the max is 85 (some Coolsats max at 99 but mine is 85). My Pansat 1500 threshold is 30 and max is 99. The Coolsat will show 70 if the signal is 45 or 80.

I have a couple other units that the quality shows 98 as long as there is a signal. So that doesn't work for aiming :) Satworks units read low. A 75 quality on the Pansat may be 38 on the Satworks

Our friend from Sadoun had it right. I knew to compare the same transponder... but I was amazed to find that it helps to choose said transponder properly. :) Not sure how I managed to be off by a couple but somehow I did.

All is now OK -- nice having a PVR for a change! Thanks to all... again.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts