Sling Adaptor Field Reviews

Or you can just choose "Watch" from the "More" button on the bottom of the app, when you use the "Menu" button. Does that make sense so far?
Unfortunately yes it does! Way too many laggy presses of the screen IMHO to get anything to happen. I would really really like the few physical buttons on my phone to control such an obvious oft-used function as changing channels. Yet they do nothing. The volume up/down buttons work... In reverse! I haven't been able to get the swipe commands to do anything either.

Question for anyone using a USB hub for the Sling Adaptor and an external hard drive:

If you're trying to watch a program off the external drive using Sling, does the hub slow it down?

Slingmobile has worked with all the other upgrades, even the HD PRO, or the PRO with the Dongle used, and it still works with the classic. Even the older desktop software almost works with everything. To me it isn't acceptable for it now not to work with a smartphone for this sling adaptor. Or at least, it should be clearly pointed out before you buy it. I use my mobile app all the time, in fact it is at least 50% of the reason I have slingboxes.

Has anyone tested it using Firefox on Linux or using the Dish app on Droid or DroidX? My laptop runs Ubuntu 10.04 and my wife and I both have DroidX phones. If I can verify it works on both of these platforms then I'm sold...

Thanks --

Sam

Has anyone tested it using Firefox on Linux or using the Dish app on Droid or DroidX? My laptop runs Ubuntu 10.04 and my wife and I both have DroidX phones. If I can verify it works on both of these platforms then I'm sold...

Thanks --

Sam

Not sure about Linux support. It installs a plugin for Firefox and it might not be compatible with Linux. For some reason there are 2 different specs for HD playback on Windows or OSX. No mention of Linux.
Works on the Droid with the FREE Dish app. I think it looks pretty good, sound is ok. More than I expected over 3G though.

Slingmobile has worked with all the other upgrades, even the HD PRO, or the PRO with the Dongle used, and it still works with the classic. Even the older desktop software almost works with everything. To me it isn't acceptable for it now not to work with a smartphone for this sling adaptor. Or at least, it should be clearly pointed out before you buy it. I use my mobile app all the time, in fact it is at least 50% of the reason I have slingboxes.

I want to know what you are doing to get your sling mobile to work with slingbox classic. Even sling now says that is nolonger supported. Mine simply stopped working about 2 weeks ago, and now I get a message from sling that I am required to upgrade my classic to either a Pro HD or a Pro solo. They will give me a $50 credit toward purchase if I send them the serial number of my classic box.

Re USB hub and simultaneous hard drive sourced program. I will be testing this out later today. I just went to the store to buy a 4 port hub.

So some more processor tests. Wired internet, my 1.83 Core Duo and 1.73 Core 2 Duo get good bitrates for HD. But, the processors can't handle the video so I get small skips and drops, enough to be annoying. The 2.4 Core 2 Duo is great wired, but not wireless. I am now looking into building a cheap htpc with enough power to be a sling catcher and fit in a entertainment system. Anyone watching sling on an AMD processor in HD without issues? Or maybe have some tips for building a cheap htpc that can handle the HD stream?

JDGJr said:
Question: if i am viewing on a PC downstairs in my house, is the video going thru my ISP and back again, or directly from my 722K to my PC?

I believe that yes it does because you are accessing it through dishnetwork.com. I have a bandwidth meter on my router and can see my 2Mbps upload completely maxes out when I try to do HD. I see many posts on here about PC specs. While that can certainly have some effect, I don't think it is the real limiting factor here. I have a Core i7 860, 4GB of RAM, Intel x-25m SSD hard drive and a Radeon 5850 HD graphics card and I still have major HD stuttering problems. Unlike a regular Slingbox, I am fairly positive this is going up through Dish's proxy and back down to you even while at home.

That said, I love this addition to my 722k. It works very well on my iPhone and my Blackberry. On multiple PCs, it works very well on the middle quality setting and only stutters when I try HD. On the mid setting I average about 1800kbps.

If you try to use the sling player on a computer, or when I power on my sling catcher the SlingAdapter is detected on my LAN and shows up in the list. The sling catcher offers me the chance to add it to my sling directory, but it prompts for a password. Connecting with the SlingPlayer likewise asks for a password.

So the obvious question, what's the password? I've tried my DVR PIN and no go.

Then the if one were to know the password, would that be enough to do anything useful?

On multiple PCs, it works very well on the middle quality setting and only stutters when I try HD. On the mid setting I average about 1800kbps.
That has been my experience as well, except that my local LAN IE client averages about 8Mbps on the mid quality setting. The HD setting is unwatchable due to horrendous stuttering, but I have only rather underpowered PCs such as an Intel Atom nettop.

From the look of it on my 42" Westinghouse viewed from 4', it looks HD even on the mid setting. Does anybody know what each of these settings represent? I think Don was giving some resolutions, but I think those were for his laptop screen and not the actual streamed video resolution.

So some more processor tests. Wired internet, my 1.83 Core Duo and 1.73 Core 2 Duo get good bitrates for HD. But, the processors can't handle the video so I get small skips and drops, enough to be annoying. The 2.4 Core 2 Duo is great wired, but not wireless. I am now looking into building a cheap htpc with enough power to be a sling catcher and fit in a entertainment system. Anyone watching sling on an AMD processor in HD without issues? Or maybe have some tips for building a cheap htpc that can handle the HD stream?

AMD Athlon 64x2 3800. I get great HD, no skips , this is at the highest setting. Sadly my quality on my i-Pad is not all that good.
Dan

this is probably a dumb question, but i'm in my dish remote access and don't see a Watch Live Tv option, can someone tell me were this is, I have the grid and i can go in and select channels and get the tv to change but nothing on my lap top to indicate live tv

this is probably a dumb question, but i'm in my dish remote access and don't see a Watch Live Tv option, can someone tell me were this is, I have the grid and i can go in and select channels and get the tv to change but nothing on my lap top to indicate live tv

It's right above the Grid, next to "Refresh Content"
Dan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts