Smoking Meat?

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Before Easter, my kids and my wife were complaining that I bought too much meat and that we'd have way too much food. I decided to placate them a bit and didn't make any ABTs. It would be too much, they said.

Both my kids complained about the lack of ABTs. My son happily took a large bag of ham with him when he left. On Monday my wife said I should always make extra meat since there is room on the smoker (something I've seen said here repeatedly) so we could freeze sandwich meat as well as having leftovers.

It seems I'll have to start ignoring their pre-cook suggestions.

Yep, that's the script!

jrp

SatelliteGuys Master
Aug 24, 2007
Iowa
Cooking with apple for the first time (had only had access to hickory before). Smoking a pork butt. While both woods smell great, apple produces a completely different sensation than hickory. Is the flavor in the meat as markedly different as the aroma?

This is also my first time smoking for an audience. We're taking the butt and a tray of ABTs to a pot luck at a friends tonight.

stimpson

Miller Lite Tester
Oct 2, 2006
Benton, Arkansas
Had to do all this in the garage because of constant rains. Fired up the drum Friday night with 10 lbs of Kingford lump and some hickory chunks and trew on two 7-8 lb butts. Got the temp dialed in and went to bed. The drum held up all night. Pulled the butts at 195. Right at 15 hrs. Had plenty of fuel left so threw on a rack of spares, and a rack of Baby Backs. Added some apple wood for smoke. Did the ribs at 240-260. Instead of 3-2-1, I went 2-2-1. I also am doing a brisket for a co worker. I'll throw that on the WSM this afternoon, and do it high heat style. Will update with pics when that is finished. Didn't take pics of the butts. Seen plenty of those.

Attachments

• IMG_1435.JPG
    IMG_1435.JPG
    211.9 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_1436.JPG
    IMG_1436.JPG
    194.6 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_1437.JPG
    IMG_1437.JPG
    271.2 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_1438.JPG
    IMG_1438.JPG
    362.2 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_1439.JPG
    IMG_1439.JPG
    272.9 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_1440.JPG
    IMG_1440.JPG
    377.8 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_1441.JPG
    IMG_1441.JPG
    357.7 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1442.JPG
    IMG_1442.JPG
    179.6 KB · Views: 144

jrp

SatelliteGuys Master
Aug 24, 2007
Iowa
My wife wants to make venison kabobs tomorrow. I haven't used my smoker for a while. Anyone got experience with smoked kabobs?

jrp

SatelliteGuys Master
Aug 24, 2007
Iowa
Never tried it. Not sure how the veggies would hold up low and slow. Give it a try and let us know. Also, no pics, didn't happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:p

Think I might try something I read elsewhere: Grill to almost done and then finish with about a half hour in smoke. If it happens, pictures will come. ;)

StevenD

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Nov 18, 2003
n
I smoked 10# of Canadian Bacon yesterday using the Buckboard method. The pork loins I used were quite large, so I let them cure for a full 10 days. It worked very well! The Eggs Benedict this morning were very good.

jrp

SatelliteGuys Master
Aug 24, 2007
Iowa
Grilled the kabobs until they were about ten minutes from done (on the grill). Moved them to the smoker with, cherry chips, for about half an hour.

They were good, but I'd shorten the grilling and extend the smoking. I'd also go with a more robust wood.

Served with Vueve du Vernay, a sparkling French rosé wine.

Attachments

• kabobs.jpg
    kabobs.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 144

stimpson

Miller Lite Tester
Oct 2, 2006
Benton, Arkansas
I smoked 10# of Canadian Bacon yesterday using the Buckboard method. The pork loins I used were quite large, so I let them cure for a full 10 days. It worked very well! The Eggs Benedict this morning were very good.

Gotta love that Buckboard. We never buy store bought any more. Haven't tried the canadian yet. I'll have to do that soon.

Grilled the kabobs until they were about ten minutes from done (on the grill). Moved them to the smoker with, cherry chips, for about half an hour.

They were good, but I'd shorten the grilling and extend the smoking. I'd also go with a more robust wood.

Good lookin stuff there. Greay job!!!!!!!

Yota86

Supporting Founder
May 21, 2004
Columbia, MO

You need to reverse the process, smoke first, even for only thirty minutes, and then finish on the grill. Once the meat is all but cooked, it cannot absorb much of the smoke.

Here is a really good resource for all things smoked.
SMF - Smoking Meat Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts