Smoking Meat?

Here is my first attempt. I know I risk being branded a heretic by the Weber cult (;)), but I bought an electric smoker — a MasterBuilt. I'd been looking at the Bradleys, but this unit feels well built and was considerably less expensive. It also uses real wood chips instead of proprietary bisquettes. I dry-cooked the unit for several hours to break it in.

I bought a pork butt at the local Fareway (their meat counter is quality), about 9 lbs. I used HD MM's modified Armadillo Willy's rub. Cooked for 5 hours at 225°F with smoke the first three, wrapped in foil and cooked another 90 minutes. Removed at meat temp of 160°F. I wanted to use apple chips, but I need to go to Des Moines to get more variety in available wood. The local Wally only has mesquite and hickory. I went with hickory.

The flavor was excellent, though it was a bit salty and maybe had too much paprika. The meat was tender, but not falling apart. I think it could have used another 30 minutes. Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. Over all, I was pleased and am looking forward to the next opportunity. Going to have to try some ABTs — and get a copy of Smoke and Spice,

Here are the pics: the smoker, the control panel, the meat before foiling, and the finished product. I want to thank you all for whetting my appetite, I don't think I'd have taken the plunge without this thread and the WSM and Orion threads.

Attachments

• fronts.jpg
    fronts.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 100
  • controls.jpg
    controls.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 93
  • switchs.jpg
    switchs.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 95
  • finals.jpg
    finals.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 94
:D
Here is my first attempt. I know I risk being branded a heretic by the Weber cult (;)), but I bought an electric smoker — a MasterBuilt. I'd been looking at the Bradleys, but this unit feels well built and was considerably less expensive. It also uses real wood chips instead of proprietary bisquettes. I dry-cooked the unit for several hours to break it in.

I bought a pork butt at the local Fareway (their meat counter is quality), about 9 lbs. I used HD MM's modified Armadillo Willy's rub. Cooked for 5 hours at 225°F with smoke the first three, wrapped in foil and cooked another 90 minutes. Removed at meat temp of 160°F. I wanted to use apple chips, but I need to go to Des Moines to get more variety in available wood. The local Wally only has mesquite and hickory. I went with hickory.

The flavor was excellent, though it was a bit salty and maybe had too much paprika. The meat was tender, but not falling apart. I think it could have used another 30 minutes. Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. Over all, I was pleased and am looking forward to the next opportunity. Going to have to try some ABTs — and get a copy of Smoke and Spice,

Here are the pics: the smoker, the control panel, the meat before foiling, and the finished product. I want to thank you all for whetting my appetite, I don't think I'd have taken the plunge without this thread and the WSM and Orion threads.

The meat looks great. That's the right temp to pull it off if you want to serve the butt sliced. If only taking it to 160, there is no need to foil. In order to have pulled pork, you need to take it to between 190-200 internal. In this case, some people will foil at 160 till done. I don't. It will definately speed up the cook, and maybe shorten the possability of a stall. Another way to check to see if it's ready to come off for pulled pork is to give the bone a tug. If it moves freely, and seems like you could pull it out, it's done. When I do pork butts on my WSM, I set up my stuff for an all nighter. It normally takes up to 15 hrs to do up to 4 butts. The time doesn't really decrease if you smoke a smaller amount. It's pretty much the same time if you smoke just one. Saying that, next time you do butts, do more than one and food save and freeze all the extra. Your friends will love you. Good luck on your ABTs and welcome to the smoking club. Yes, get the S&S book. Nice ics.:):up

In order to have pulled pork, you need to take it to between 190-200 internal.

THAT'S what I didn't know. I wouldn't have had a choice with this one, since I put it on at noon and we were getting hungry, but I'll start the next one earlier.

I vacuum seal everything that goes in my freezer and will definitely being doing multiples in the future. My daughter already told me this is what I'm cooking for her high school grad reception next year.

Welcome to the world of Smoke JRP!

As Stimpson said, the ideal internal temp on a butt is apx. 190°. On my first smoke, I made the mistake of pulling at 160°F also. The butts tend to hover around that temp for a very long time, but be patient. If you leave it alone, the fat will render and the meat will break down into tender goodness and reach the 190°F mark. You'll be very impressed with the results.

To allow enough time, sometimes I often start the cook around midnight, the night before. In the past, it's taken as long as 15 hours for my butts to finish. You could always wrap in foil and a towl and throw them in a cooler. This will keep the meat warm for more than 2-3 hours or until you're ready to eat.

That's one fancy smoker. We of the Society to Promote WSMs took a vote- you're forgiven! ;)

Love the last pic - juicy!

I, too, have made the 160 mistake. Would that all our mistakes came out as tasty. :p

I think the longest I've smoked is about 16 hours. I also smoke chickens, although some say chicken just isn't meant for smoking. But I think in the future, the last 30-60 minutes, I'll crank up the temps to 350, to crisp it a bit. What do you guys think?

That's one fancy smoker. We of the Society to Promote WSMs took a vote- you're forgiven! ;)

Love the last pic - juicy!

I, too, have made the 160 mistake. Would that all our mistakes came out as tasty. :p

I think the longest I've smoked is about 16 hours. I also smoke chickens, although some say chicken just isn't meant for smoking. But I think in the future, the last 30-60 minutes, I'll crank up the temps to 350, to crisp it a bit. What do you guys think?

You could do that, or you could also take it inside and crank the oven up to 425°F for 5-10 minutes to crisp. By this time, all of the smoke has permeated the skin of the chicken anyways. To get a nice skin would probably take a higher, more controlled temperture than the WSM could handle.

All my chicken and turkey cooks are done as hot as I can get the WSM up to. I even did the door mod so I could achieve high heats for my poultry and briskets.

Then it's not exactly smoking, is it? But I've done a bird or two at 325-350.

You guys ever smoke any fish, specifically Salmon on the WSM?

No, not yet. But I have an ever increasing in volume request from my wife to do so.

Then it's not exactly smoking, is it? But I've done a bird or two at 325-350.

No, not yet. But I have an ever increasing in volume request from my wife to do so.

No. Not in the traditional manner. Although, it is done in the smoker with smoke wood. You can say it is pretty much indirect. My wife has been asking me to do some fish as well.

I think I figured out why I thought my first smoke was too salty (and saying something is too salty is not a statement made lightly — I love salt). I made the Armadillo rub from a recipe HD MM posted in another thread and used that entire batch on the the one 9 pound pork butt. HD MM, does that recipe produce enough rub for more than one chunk of meat?

Smoked a couple sections of venison loin that had been marinated in a honey/ginger mix with a dash of blackberry bourbon added. Smoked for about three hours until they were at 140 internal (they aren't that thick, so it didn't take too long). Sliced them thin and severed with crackers and a mozzarella spread as an appetizer to some folks that don't each much game.

I thought the slice I tried as I cut them was okay, but not great. After the meat sat a bit, it came on a lot like prime rib. I have no idea what changed, but it was great and our friends scarfed up quite a bit of it.

This could get addictive real fast.

Smoked a couple sections of venison loin that had been marinated in a honey/ginger mix with a dash of blackberry bourbon added. Smoked for about three hours until they were at 140 internal (they aren't that thick, so it didn't take too long). Sliced them thin and severed with crackers and a mozzarella spread as an appetizer to some folks that don't each much game.

I thought the slice I tried as I cut them was okay, but not great. After the meat sat a bit, it came on a lot like prime rib. I have no idea what changed, but it was great and our friends scarfed up quite a bit of it.

This could get addictive real fast.

Sounds like you are getting hooked my friend.:) Keep on smokin!!!!!!!!!!:up

I think I figured out why I thought my first smoke was too salty (and saying something is too salty is not a statement made lightly — I love salt). I made the Armadillo rub from a recipe HD MM posted in another thread and used that entire batch on the the one 9 pound pork butt. HD MM, does that recipe produce enough rub for more than one chunk of meat?

Yes my friend. That batch I posted was enough for multiple butts. If you used the whole batch, you used way too much. :)

If you used the whole batch, you used way too much. :)

:eek: Good thing I like salt!

I picked up a copy of Smoke & Spice today. Already learned some things, but, wow, it's a pretty big book. Going to take a while to get through it. Don't think I'll mind the journey.

Sous Vide

Grill It