So new xbox finally has a Blu drive

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Wonder what the next gen xbox and PS4 will do in the terms of video performance and reliability as blu-ray players. PS3 is good, but long in the tooth. Would be nice to have an all in one device that was a top notch optical player as well.

Depends on quite well, and opinions vary. PQ wise, its not as good as a newer player, i can see that. I can also see a difference in output with a test disc like spears and munsil. Now I know most of you dont care about it being "reference" output, but I do, so thats my curiosity, and I wonder how well the Xbox One will do. Also, the PS3 has been found to present a different gamma when used as a signal generator for display calibration, vs an Oppo and even Panasonic. Problem for me, because my blu-ray player is my signal generator.

My biggest gripe about the PS3 is that all apps (Netflix, vudu, hulu, etc...) are output in RGB only, regardless of your menu settings because it treats all apps as a game. So, you calibrate for ycbcr, then watch netflix or amazon and get RGB, this can be an issue. Standard blu-ray players will output in whatever color space you set on discs AND streaming services. I tried calibrating my display to RGB, and setting the PS3 to RGB even on movies (optical), horrid results on Dish network feed (ycbcr). None of this is good and something I hope they fix in the future.

But yes, just throwing in a movie to watch with little regard for being picky (me), sure its great. I do hate the slide open top on the PS3 super slim though, man they went cheap.

Rumor has it that the ps4 will be the first blue ray to do true 4k or ultra hd.

If the rumor is true it may explain why ps4 may not be available until early next year.

Sony has already stated that the blue ray is a new device on ps4 build from the ground up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if the PS4 will have a proper decoder chip and all that (probably mediatek if its Sony) instead of being software based like the current PS3.

If the rumor is true it may explain why ps4 may not be available until early next year.

Sony has already stated that the blue ray is a new device on ps4 build from the ground up.

UHD BD specs aren't final, last I heard. Might explain the delay. Might be worth it.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Where are you guys hearing early next year? I believe they even said holiday 2013 right in their reveal event. Everything I have read is predicting November. Every game console in recent memory has released in the fall to take advantage of Christmas shoppers. With Xbox and Playstation releasing in the same year for the first time ever both are going to want to be out first. This is the first time they have had real launch competition and I can all but guarantee you they won't give Microsoft a several month head start. People on the fence are going to just pick whichever comes out first. If anything I can see one of these consoles being moved up to September or October to try to get out ahead.

I'd see the X-Box hitting before the PS4. It will be difficult to get out with no 4K BD specs.

S~

The Xbox is supporting 4K as well. They must have a general idea of what the specs will be because both consoles are claiming to support it for movies even if it isn't finalized. They must think they can patch whatever small changes occur between now and the final spec. These are pretty powerful boxes with plenty of left over processing power to make changes that a normal Blu-ray player can't. I can confidently say that Sony and Microsoft aren't going to sit on their hands and wait for a final spec. Both consoles will be released in 2013 and probably in November.

There are already games releasing on both current and next gen consoles with release dates set. Watch Dogs, for example, is releasing on November 19th. This is a next gen title for both systems. It wouldn't make sense to launch it on PS3 and 360 just a couple weeks before PS4 and Xbox One launch. Why not just hold it a couple weeks and release it on all platforms at once? My guess is that one if not borh of these new consoles will be out on or before November 19th or they wouldn't have set this date.

I'd see the X-Box hitting before the PS4. It will be difficult to get out with no 4K BD specs.

S~

The Xbox is supporting 4K as well. They must have a general idea of what the specs will be because both consoles are claiming to support it for movies even if it isn't finalized. They must think they can patch whatever small changes occur between now and the final spec. These are pretty powerful boxes with plenty of left over processing power to make changes that a normal Blu-ray player can't. I can confidently say that Sony and Microsoft aren't going to sit on their hands and wait for a final spec. Both consoles will be released in 2013 and probably in November.

There are already games releasing on both current and next gen consoles with release dates set. Watch Dogs, for example, is releasing on November 19th. This is a next gen title for both systems. It wouldn't make sense to launch it on PS3 and 360 just a couple weeks before PS4 and Xbox One launch. Why not just hold it a couple weeks and release it on all platforms at once? My guess is that one if not borh of these new consoles will be out on or before November 19th or they wouldn't have set this date.

One other thing about specs. The PS3 was out well ahead of the Blu-ray 3D specs but that didn't stop it from supporting 3D. These aren't standard blu-ray boxes. They are forward thinking boxes designed to adapt to whatever services come out over their lifetime. In 4K's case they already knew most of the details before they released the new console so they can plan for it. The 360 and PS3 were designed before anyone was using streaming services like netflix and they adapted to become the most used devices for it.

At this point all the system hardware is probably set in stone anyways. They are already working out deals to buy all the parts and getting ready to mass produce these boxes. It's not like they can wait until November 1st for specs and redesign the console around them that late in the game.

Im sure xbox one could do 4k. It would be a matter of changing the codecs in the software. With all of the processing power the xbox has, there is no way that it cant handle 4k even 8k. At this point also, I think Microsoft is gearing towards H.265 which will make processing hd video alot easier. You dont need to have a hardware chip to decode mpeg video built in. With the specs the machine has, it could do it on the software level. Also, sony could claim that they are the first, there is alot that Microsoft is holding back. I wonder what is going on with illumni room also.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)