So new xbox finally has a Blu drive

Im sure xbox one could do 4k. It would be a matter of changing the codecs in the software. With all of the processing power the xbox has, there is no way that it cant handle 4k even 8k. At this point also, I think Microsoft is gearing towards H.265 which will make processing hd video alot easier. You dont need to have a hardware chip to decode mpeg video built in. With the specs the machine has, it could do it on the software level. Also, sony could claim that they are the first, there is alot that Microsoft is holding back. I wonder what is going on with illumni room also.

Both companies have already confirmed that their boxes will support 4K for movies but not for games. I don't know where the earlier poster got that PS4 will be the first player to support 4K though. Both say they will support it but I haven't seen either claim that they will be the first blu-ray player on the market to support it.

My guess is that as soon as the official specs are released and movies start being sold in 4K both boxes will be updated to support it and many other stand alone blu-ray players that support it will be released. I highly doubt that movies are going to start coming out in 4K and there is only going to be one box supporting them for any significant period of time.

I wish both machines would go the route of full 1080p/24 and 4k downloads like Kaliedscope is already doing. If I could download a 25gb movie with lossless audio, Id quite messing with optical.

I wish both machines would go the route of full 1080p/24 and 4k downloads like Kaliedscope is already doing. If I could download a 25gb movie with lossless audio, Id quite messing with optical.

With a 500 GB hard drive that doesn't really provide much room.

With a 500 GB hard drive that doesn't really provide much room.

For those who want something more permanent than rentals... They have confirmed that the Xbox One will support USB 3.0 external hard drives. They said this space would be available for media, game installs, game saves, and everything that the internal drive supports. They switched to this way of thinking part way through the 360's lifetime. At the beginning of the generation you could only use internal hard drives or proprietary memory units but in one of the console updates they started allowing you to use your own flash drives up to 32GB. They finally decided to let the idiotic idea of proprietary memory go completely and allow USB hard drives for the Xbox One instead of just the flash allowed on the 360.

EHD is a great idea too. My HSI speeds are not very good, so until someone started offering better rentals in a file based download (not that big a deal IMO) Im on optical, because Itunes/Amazon VOD arent good enough quality for me, especially the audio formats. Hopefully as we move into the next few years they consider file downloads of larger sizes along with this streaming push.

I'm really interested to see how this new Xbox One will turn out when it is released. I'm not entirely sold on it yet, but I'm planning a home theater right now, and this new Xbox is sounding like it might fit the bill perfectly for what I need (all-in-one movie player, gaming console, television box, music player, etc.)

In my opinion this new Xbox really looks like it's not competing with the Playstation or Wii U per se, but it seems to me that it is competing with Apple for control of our living rooms and home theaters. If any of you have seen an Apple TV, you know what I'm talking about. Many of these new additions to the Xbox sound like something Apple would do, so I'm very excited to see how everything shakes out.

I'm really interested to see how this new Xbox One will turn out when it is released. I'm not entirely sold on it yet, but I'm planning a home theater right now, and this new Xbox is sounding like it might fit the bill perfectly for what I need (all-in-one movie player, gaming console, television box, music player, etc.)

In my opinion this new Xbox really looks like it's not competing with the Playstation or Wii U per se, but it seems to me that it is competing with Apple for control of our living rooms and home theaters. If any of you have seen an Apple TV, you know what I'm talking about. Many of these new additions to the Xbox sound like something Apple would do, so I'm very excited to see how everything shakes out.

I love my Apple TV and as of right now I am probably going with the PS4 instead of Xbox at least at first. I'm sure I will own both eventually.

That being said, Xbox One does so much more than Apple TV. In addition to all the standard streaming options on Apple TV it also has all of these live tv features, Blu-ray with 3D and 4K support, kinect voice support, plus the games.

Like I said, I love my Apple TV. It's a great streaming device. If you are looking for a box to build a home theater around the Xbox One will blow it out of the water though. Keep in mind that this Xbox will probably cost at least $400-$500 if not more though while you can pick up an Apple TV for $100.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I think M$ has had the goal of taking over the living room for awhile. They arent like Sony or Apple making all these other devices, the have the ability to make one that does most everything, and are in a position of being big enough to negotiate content deals.

With what i know now, i'm leaning towards Xbox.

I love my Apple TV and as of right now I am probably going with the PS4 instead of Xbox at least at first. I'm sure I will own both eventually.

That being said, Xbox One does so much more than Apple TV. In addition to all the standard streaming options on Apple TV it also has all of these live tv features, Blu-ray with 3D and 4K support, kinect voice support, plus the games.

Like I said, I love my Apple TV. It's a great streaming device. If you are looking for a box to build a home theater around the Xbox One will blow it out of the water though. Keep in mind that this Xbox will probably cost at least $400-$500 if not more though while you can pick up an Apple TV for $100.

You hit the nail on the head with what I was thinking about doing. I'm interested in the PS4 too, so I think I'm going to wait to make a decision about which one to get until the are both released. My brother currently own an Apple TV, and I do love that little black box, but I think like you said, if I go with the X1/PS4, either one of those will blow it out of the water. Man, all this new technology is going to be awesome to behold.

Ill definitely be putting the blu-ray drive thru its paces with Spears and Munsil, hopefully it passes with flying colors. It'd be nice to have just one thing, instead of a player and a Roku.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-21539_...s-playstation-4/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=title

After some more thought, I cancelled the Xbox One order. Im not happy about their policies vs Sony, and the $100 price difference. The PS4 is also a superior hardware machine, so i figure if I dont care for it with Blu-ray and streaming media, I wont like the Xbox. :) Guess we will see it late Dec early Jan.
Part of the price difference is it includes the kinec sensor. I don't like that policy of having to connect to the internet. That's bull. I guess if you're using their tv system, you'd have to be anyways. Not liking that game policy, either.

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)