So whos NOT getting a Hopper due to lack of OTA?

Just noticed this thread has 21,787 views on it. That tells me at least some dish customers are some what interested.

I did not know until after i upgraded that the new "top of the line" system did not have OTA or Sling included. I lost both of those features.

I could used the Sling now with my EVO phone with football season starting. Also liked PQ on OTA signal.

Only problem with the new set up is Joey gives a screen it wants to reboot a couple of times a day. You just have to hit cancel, but pain when watching TV when it does it every day.

Only problem with the new set up is Joey gives a screen it wants to reboot a couple of times a day. You just have to hit cancel, but pain when watching TV when it does it every day.
Updates are mandatory and happen around 1AM every night. If you keep putting them of, it will keep nagging you. If keep asking you even though you do it, then something might be wrong.

I did not know until after i upgraded that the new "top of the line" system did not have OTA or Sling included. I lost both of those features.

I could used the Sling now with my EVO phone with football season starting. Also liked PQ on OTA signal.

Not to be offensive, but shouldn't YOU have researched your upgrade or asked those questions? People blame Dish all the time for what I consider questions that are the responsibility of the customer.

How about, Shouldn't Dish be proactive enough to make sure their new products have at least all of the basic functions that their previous products? It's not like OTA was just invented.

Last edited:
Thank you DIRT for your quick help with upgrade options. But $100 upgrade fee when Dish is getting ready to drop Big Ten Network and one of my locals this weekend is not my idea of money well spent. I guess I get to hook my OTA back up again.

keithshoe said:

actually it's not rebooting but going into standby mode. You can adjust this to a different number of hours or disable it as well. Press the yellow button, 9, 6 to get to that menu.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Not to be offensive, but shouldn't YOU have researched your upgrade or asked those questions? People blame Dish all the time for what I consider questions that are the responsibility of the customer.
It's not unrealistic to presume that Dish wouldn't REMOVE features on their "top of the line" equipment though.

How about, Shouldn't Dish be proactive enough to make sure their new products have at least all of the basic functions that their previous products? It's not like OTA was just invented.
This may sound like a possible contradiction to my previous post, but OTA isn't that common or popular. Yes, you probably use it, as do I, but we're really in the minority. And further, Dish certainly has ACTUAL DATA on the number of people with ViP receivers who use OTA and have deemed it a low priority.

Dish certainly has ACTUAL DATA on the number of people with ViP receivers who use OTA and have deemed it a low priority.

I worry that Dish deems it to be so low a priority that OTA turns into vaporware like the Sling Extender or Vip222 dvr capability.

pparry said:
I worry that Dish deems it to be so low a priority that OTA turns into vaporware like the Sling Extender or Vip222 dvr capability.

Oh, I'm sure it's coming.

But you'll notice, I'm not moving to H/J until its here.

I cant watch METV or MyNetwork TV or PBS in HD or CW in HD with out the OTA tuner. METV has Start Trek. I get these channels on DirecTV either on the SAT or there OTA turner.

Dish needs to match the competition on things as simple as local channels. They need this tuner now.

DirecTV has both PBS and the CW in HD on the sat.

I cant watch METV or MyNetwork TV or PBS in HD or CW in HD with out the OTA tuner. METV has Start Trek. I get these channels on DirecTV either on the SAT or there OTA turner.

Dish needs to match the competition on things as simple as local channels. They need this tuner now.

DirecTV has both PBS and the CW in HD on the sat.

Same here in my area.

and here, of course I have my OTA antenna hooked up directly to the TV and I can watch them just fine. I just have to watch them live. Oh, the horror... :)

and here, of course I have my OTA antenna hooked up directly to the TV and I can watch them just fine. I just have to watch them live. Oh, the horror... :)
I don't know anybody personally who watches live TV, other than for sports. You are an anomaly.

But, putting that aside, ScottChez is absolutely right that Dish needs to keep up with the competition. Local channels are important to people. ALL of the local channels, not just the Big Four. And, they should be able to enjoy them in the same fashion as the other channels. DirecTV and Cableco's have figured this out.

I watch my local news OTA, live, directly hooked to the TV. On Sunday, it's news and 60 Minutes. It helps to leave a tuner available on my single Hopper configuration.

I don't know anybody personally who watches live TV, other than for sports. You are an anomaly.

But, putting that aside, ScottChez is absolutely right that Dish needs to keep up with the competition. Local channels are important to people. ALL of the local channels, not just the Big Four. And, they should be able to enjoy them in the same fashion as the other channels. DirecTV and Cableco's have figured this out.

I don't even watch a live sporting event anymore. i record it and then start watching it about an hour into the game. FF through the breaks and usually finish the game as it is ending. :D

I watch my local news OTA, live, directly hooked to the TV. On Sunday, it's news and 60 Minutes. It helps to leave a tuner available on my single Hopper configuration.
Ah yes. I forgot about news. But, that is generally broadcast on the Big Four affiliates, which are normally available thru the sats. OTOH, with all of these carriage disputes with local channels, OTA thru the DVR can be very important to many subs.

Its about that time for an other Hopper Software update. Dont they come out on Wednesday?

Any chance they will turn on OTA support? I am guessing by now someone out there is testing that USB OTA add on that we saw a photo of a few months ago, BUT cant tell us due to a NDA or black out press agreement.
They were saying this summer, well summer seems like it is over to me so it has to be "SOON" now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)