Spotbeam vs DMA question

Actually just the opposite. I have found that the beams are actually larger than what the projections they filed with the FCC back before the satellite was even launched. So they knew about it... some could say it was in their design. It could have been a limitation to only make it that size? Who knows.

Digi- you obviously know a lot. I have lost the 129 satellite completely in Hawaii. I there a new setting I need? I am not talking about the LA or Denver CONUS signals that have been moved. I know they are gone witht the wind. I cannot see the CONUS signals on the national HD. Thx

Digi- you obviously know a lot. I have lost the 129 satellite completely in Hawaii. I there a new setting I need? I am not talking about the LA or Denver CONUS signals that have been moved. I know they are gone witht the wind. I cannot see the CONUS signals on the national HD. Thx

AFAIK, there is no CONUS coverage on Ciel-2 for Alaska or Hawaii. Hawaii has Spotbeam 55 pointed at it which will have transponders 2,4,6,14, and 16.

AFAIK, there is no CONUS coverage on Ciel-2 for Alaska or Hawaii. Hawaii has Spotbeam 55 pointed at it which will have transponders 2,4,6,14, and 16.

There was no "official " 129 coverage before but we could get it, albeit with a weak signal on the lower transponders. For example, Denver on 2 (15-28)dropped out a lot whereas LA on 10 was pretty good(30-40)

It is possible the counties outside the spot could work with a larger dish. Probably a dedicated 1m dish would be able to pull in the Denver spot in the outer counties.

Yes. With E-5. Should the new one be any different for the CONUS transponders? Slightly different orbital location that requires adjustment?

No totally different design on CONUS coverage US beam. It's a very tight beam. Not much of Canada or Mexico covered either. Basically if you are not in the 48, then you get nothing on CONUS.

No totally different design on CONUS coverage US beam. It's a very tight beam. Not much of Canada or Mexico covered either. Basically if you are not in the 48, then you get nothing on CONUS.

Are the Hawaii spotbeams turned on yet?

Thanks for your help. I learned a lot.

Do you think the 118 local CONUS will move in near future?

Any info on All American Direct getting HD? I have those stations.

They will probably move them when they get to it or unless they have a technical need at the uplink to do so. Maybe they might need to rob that encoder for another uplink center or something ;) Once they put them on 129 there really is no need to have them on 118.7. But there isn't a bandwidth crunch at that location.

I've only heard rumors from people talking to the AAD CSR's. Nothing in the data shows they will be HD.

They will probably move them when they get to it or unless they have a technical need at the uplink to do so. Maybe they might need to rob that encoder for another uplink center or something ;) Once they put them on 129 there really is no need to have them on 118.7. But there isn't a bandwidth crunch at that location.

I've only heard rumors from people talking to the AAD CSR's. Nothing in the data shows they will be HD.

The latest response from their email from AAD is that they will deliver the hd distants by the end of the first quarter or by the end of March. I am sure that this deadline will continue to move further in the year as the deadline approaches. When I first talked to them in September it was by the end of 2008.

The Scranton HD feeds are spotbeamed but the SD feeds have always been CONUS on 119. They did duplicate the SD's on the same spot as the HD at 61.5for EA. I just hope they don't decide to drop the CONUS feeds when they get everyone switched over to MP4.

Does anyone know if there are any plans to remove the Scranton SD feeds that are currently on CONUS (119)?? That would screw a lot of people in this DMA. A lot of us already don't get the spotbeamed HD because of the tight beam. The conus 119 SD's are the only way many of us can get ANY locals (too far away for OTA as well)!!

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there are any plans to remove the Scranton SD feeds that are currently on CONUS (119)?? That would screw a lot of people in this DMA. A lot of us already don't get the spotbeamed HD because of the tight beam. The conus 119 SD's are the only way many of us can get ANY locals (too far away for OTA as well)!!

I lived in Lock Haven but I "moved" to Philadelphia and now get HD locals. Philly is on a spotbeam already but it reaches out to where the Scranton spot beam should. Why would Dish not move the Scranton HD local to the Philly spotbeam?

Holy cow!

I moved to Philly also and get their HD locals, but I assumed since I could get them, they must be CONUS. After reading jsaxon's comment, I checked THE LIST and sure enough, he's right, it's spotbeamed. I am about 80 miles closer to Scranton than Philly and am outside Scranton's beam, but inside Philly's. That's messed up. I guess on a good note, I can stop worrying about when Philly is switching from CONUS to spotbeam!

I can't believe I never realized that. Thanks jsaxon!!!

I think we're also in the DC spotbeam! I don't know why 61.5 has so many overlapping spotbeams. Judging by all the bitching from movers who lost their locals from 129 when they went from CONUS to spots, it doesn't sound like their spots overlap.

I never did bother to move, because I was waiting to see if they would come to their senses and put the Scranton channels on a different spot. Since they didn't, I have a question for anyone who's moved to Philly or DC: since both markets completely wimped out on dropping their analog signals this week, do you have to put up with crawls and/or 4:3 HD programming for the announcements, or did they do the right thing and feed the HD and analog transmitters with different video streams and/or install equipment to superimpose text on HD video? (I'm primarily concerned with ABC and Fox, and CW even though that's not available in HD.)

I think we're also in the DC spotbeam! I don't know why 61.5 has so many overlapping spotbeams. Judging by all the bitching from movers who lost their locals from 129 when they went from CONUS to spots, it doesn't sound like their spots overlap.

I never did bother to move, because I was waiting to see if they would come to their senses and put the Scranton channels on a different spot. Since they didn't, I have a question for anyone who's moved to Philly or DC: since both markets completely wimped out on dropping their analog signals this week, do you have to put up with crawls and/or 4:3 HD programming for the announcements, or did they do the right thing and feed the HD and analog transmitters with different video streams and/or install equipment to superimpose text on HD video? (I'm primarily concerned with ABC and Fox, and CW even though that's not available in HD.)

Everything on E5 was ConUS. When locals were moved to Ciel2 they went to spot beam. That is why people lost their locals.