Statement from Dish Network on VOOM Takedown

:up Nothing like watching Transformers in HD on Max-E and then getting to do it all over again on Max-W!!! :D

My mother-in-law is visiting this week and I think she's sick of the movie already.
This may work to your advantage. Play it again tonight! :D

Was reading in the local business section today that E*'s new subscriber rate in Q1 2008 is down 88% from Q1 2007. It's obvious people aren't joining to watch Gallery, so it goes down to pure business. If it can be replaced with something folks are signing on with D* to watch, it will be done.

I suspect sometime today or tomorrow you'll see Rainbow in court to get an injunction to stop them from removing the channels.

I have heard from Dish that the manner and timing of the Voom Channels was related to the litigation.

( Implying probably that they could not give notice, because it would have given Voom an opportunity to try for another temporary injunction. )

I suspect sometime today or tomorrow you'll see Rainbow in court to get an injunction to stop them from removing the channels.

Don't bet on it.

From Scott's reporting of the Echostar conference call:

Question about the VOOM channels.

Charlie says the rest of the VOOM channels will be going away soon. He says there is no demand for the VOOM channels.

Somebody help me. Were these 10 Voom channels MPEG-2 or MPEG-4?

At the very least, Dish just cleared up enough space for 10 new MPEG-4 HD channels. I can't remember off the top of my head how much space one MPEG-2 HD channel takes up on a transponder, but if they were MPEG-2 and took up (say) 3 TPs, then wouldn't this leave enough space for 21 new MPEG-4 HD channels?

And what's really weird is typing this next sentence:

Of course, I can't think of very many HD channels that are out there that Dish doesn't have.

They were MPEG-4, people who had the "old" HD package (5 regular channels + VOOM) and a 6000 tuner lost the VOOM channels due to MPEG-4 change.

That was me, then I got a used 811, then got a 622 february 2007. I won't tell you that I watched a lot of Voom, but some of it will be missed. I caught "Treasure Divers" on one of the channels regularly, although they are almost all re-runs. And, I'll miss the Zatoichi movies on the KungFu channel. I did enjoy some of the MonstersHD movies as well. And then there is Soundstage. That, I will miss.

Ahh.... I just read the other front page info and found I won't be losing most of what I was watching on Voom. Seems those channels were spared. What we seem to forget is that Charlie has told us that the MPEG4 receivers provide Dish feedback on channel viewing habits, in aggregate, and Dish uses this information in their negotiations with providers. Apparently, a lot of what I was watching was popular enough with others that Dish didn't take them down.

So, that's how they found room for the other HD channels.
Nope.

If that was the case then the VOOM channels would have been shut off before the other ones launched yester.

All the VOOM channels are still being transmitted by Dish, they are just not available to customers.

VOOM has been dead before, maybe it can rise again.

Charlie is playing hardball but I imagine there is some scenario in which VOOM could continue to exist on Dish Network.

VOOM has been dead before, maybe it can rise again.

Charlie is playing hardball but I imagine there is some scenario in which VOOM could continue to exist on Dish Network.

Maybe Charlie is playing poker right now...he said that the rest of VOOM was coming down also. I hope the hell not!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)