Statement from Dish Network on VOOM Takedown

Are they serious? Chiller should not even be in the same sentence as Monsters HD. Just because the word Chiller and Monsters both indicate horror? Chiller is a complete joke of a channel. Talk about repeats. Millenium-Tales from the Crypt-Millenium-Tales from the Crypt-Millenium-Tales from the Crypt-Beneath-Millenium-Tales from the Crypt.

check out the comparable HD programming that is available!
VOOM Channel
Alternative Programming
Channel #
Monsters HD
Chiller (Only available in SD)

All the VOOM channels are still being transmitted by Dish, they are just not available to customers.
Is that still the case ? I haven't checked the uplink threads recently.... If so, this is a "threat" on Dish's behalf to show VOOM who holds the cards. When VOOM agrees to new terms/contract, they'll be back on within seconds.

Amen!!!!!

I have been with Dish since 1996...I had Voom for a few months before it went belly up and I agree with Dish's position on this.

The VOOM channels were great when there was little other HD content...but Voom's time has come and gone...I don't think it's particularly relevant or compelling content.

I've never watched more than 15-20 mins of Voom, I won't miss them and am glad to see the other mainstream channels added.
:D

I have feeling it is all about the expense of Voom without providing any real value to Dish. They must have the space or they could not have them all being broadcast at the same time for the short term. I figure the uplinking and carring the channels is a very small incremental cost to Dish operations. The real incremental cost is the fees to Voom.

Who's VoOming who?

Seriously, what a bunch of whiny babies. Good lord. They are just HD channels. Is your life changed THAT much by this? <snip> Just shut up and wait and see.

This is all so red state/blue state. Can you fathom that there are people who get pleasure from things you don't? Evidently not. Read the laments of people who are dropping their subscriptions and learn. If I went to the zoo to see my favorite animals and found instead Gladiator sports or dancing contests, I'd not be returning to the zoo. Many of us who are ditching Dish came here specifically for the VoOm channels. Try to imagine someone different than you, and then say so long and good luck with that, not you don't matter, you're not like me, or worse, you don't matter because there are more of us than you.

I'm so behind the times....

This is a condensed version of what they sent back:

"....DISH Network continues to be the leader in providing the best movies, sports and entertainment in High Definition. ...DISH Network understands it may feel like DISH is removing your favorite programming, but check out the comparable HD programming that is available!
VOOM Channel
Alternative Programming
Channel #
Monsters HD
Rave HD
MHD
Rush HD
Universal HD, HD Net
9427, 9422
Specific HD Movies
HD Net Movies, Universal HD, and Premiums in HD
9423, 9427

I'm confused. So what on this letter does Dish actually have? Monsters is gone...did they add Chiller? Oh - I just found Chiller. Boooo....not only SD but commercials. Boooo commercials. I actually watched Monsters, and Equator. Oh well. It is disappointing that they removed almost as many as they added. I DID used to watch things just because they were in HD, if nothing else was on.

So I guess there are no ideas of what might be coming up in the coming weeks... I want a REAL HD horror channel. I don't think that's too much to ask. ;-)

Last edited:
I'm confused. So what on this letter does Dish actually have? Monsters is gone...did they add Chiller? I actually watched Monsters, and Equator. Oh well. It is disappointing that they removed almost as many as they added. I DID used to watch things just because they were in HD, if nothing else was on.

So I guess there are no ideas of what might be coming up in the coming weeks... I want a REAL HD horror channel. I don't think that's too much to ask. ;-)

Even when Chiller HD becomes a reality, they will still carry the same crappy lineup (although I do enjoy Hitchcock). Also, aren't the movies edited for content?

I'll miss Rave but I've seen every thing I liked to watch at least four times. Recorded the my favorites. As long as the HD channels keep coming I can live without ZOOM. My two cents!

HD Content is now substantially less.

This is an absolute nightmare for Dish customers! They removed 15 channels, some of which were actually good, that showed real HD content ALL the time. They replaced them with some more well known channels, but they do not show ANY HD content. Sure a few of them do, but not full time like the Voom channels did. We are now officially getting LESS for MORE! Sorry Dish, you just lost a high paying customer. How can they logically do this? Answer is they can"t. There must be something in the works to offset this move, like adding new HD very soon.

Someone please give me some glimpse of rumor or hope that Dish is about to ADD even more HD channels to make up for it?

Wrote Dish a nice little letter asking for the exact date my contract ends so I know when to cancel service.

Good work getting rid of VOOM and adding a bunch of crap channels with little to no HD content and tons of repeats. Besides the DVR (which DirecTV has caught up to) VOOM was the only shining star Dish's repertoire. Who needs more glorious HD channels full of SD programming?
ABC Family in HD is a joke. Bravo in HD is a waste of bandwith. So is WFN, CNN HD, MSNBC HD, Cartoon HD... Smithsonian and MGM are just as repetitive as VOOM, but without the variety. When is my contract up? That is the day I say good bye Dish!

This is a condensed version of what they sent back:

"....DISH Network continues to be the leader in providing the best movies, sports and entertainment in High Definition. ...DISH Network understands it may feel like DISH is removing your favorite programming, but check out the comparable HD programming that is available!
VOOM Channel
Alternative Programming
Channel #
Monsters HD
Rave HD
MHD
Rush HD
Universal HD, HD Net
9427, 9422
Specific HD Movies
HD Net Movies, Universal HD, and Premiums in HD
9423, 9427

What a BS answer. We had those channels and VOOM. The letter did not contain the date my contract ends.

Funny I got the same response. My complaint was about Voom and especially Monsters HD, Film Fest and Voom movies. So they recommend Chiller instead of Monsters HD, sure, a non-HD channel that is in the next tier for me so I would have to upgrade. Nice and thanks but no thanks.

Even when Chiller HD becomes a reality, they will still carry the same crappy lineup (although I do enjoy Hitchcock). Also, aren't the movies edited for content?

I guess Chiller is reality, they wrote me today it's channel 199, BUT it's only available in the top tier of programming, and I can't afford to go to the next level. So I am out of monster movies now.

added later: sorry I didn't see you say Chiller HD. Still, looking at the Chiller schedule on its regular channel, it is not as good as Monsters HD. I mean the graphics and logos of Monsters HD were awesome. They took the logo lettering from the famous magazine Famous Monsters of Filmland. Whoever designed that channel really cared about horror, so sad it's gone.

Are any of new "22" commercial-free movie channels? It appears that we lost many such.

I mostly see HD-like versions of channels with commercials that we already had.

I am obviously in the minority, but Voom was the main reason to decide on Dish originally. Didn't watch it live often, but recorded much because it was uncut and had no commercials. It was what made dish unique. The technical picture was always good also.

Sure, I can live without it, but Dish isn't "the leader in HD" anymore, despite their claims, IMO. Why would I recommend Dish? Other than the DVR, I can't.

Are any of new "22" commercial-free movie channels? It appears that we lost many such.

I mostly see HD-like versions of channels with commercials that we already had.

I am obviously in the minority, but Voom was the main reason to decide on Dish originally. Didn't watch it live often, but recorded much because it was uncut and had no commercials. It was what made dish unique. The technical picture was always good also.

Sure, I can live without it, but Dish isn't "the leader in HD" anymore, despite their claims, IMO. Why would I recommend Dish? Other than the DVR, I can't.

MGM is a great addition, it's lineup from month to month is very diverse, but they are just as repetitious as Voom (actually they rotate LESS movies during the month). So......

Not much more to add, my horse is just about beaten to death.

While I didn't watch all of the VOOM stations, I was a huge fan of MONSTERS HD. Chiller with its sd, commercials , and edited content is a pathetic substitute.:(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)