Subscribing to DirecTV in Canada

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nedward

Original poster
May 27, 2013
Canada
Hi guys,

I'm sick and tired of the available Canadian programming options - OTA, satellite, IPTV, and cable - and finally want to upgrade to US programming. The HD channels are lackluster compared to American options, and the airdates are often delayed. The finale of the first season of Homeland is airing later this weekend... That's absolutely insane. HBO Canada and FX Canada are both shells of their real networks; Food Network Canada airs shows with about a week and a half delay; Da Vinci's Demons won't be airing until June (STARZ may finish airing by that time); many more. Canadian content, in a word, is crap and I won't miss any specialty channels. I can still pick up Hockey Night in Canada OTA.

I want to pay for television as I have been paying Canadian providers the past years. I am not interested in signal theft or piracy. I'm aware of the legal implications of subscribing to DirecTV in Canada.

So for anyone that currently subscribes to DirecTV or Dish in Canada, how do you set it up?
Is a US SSN required, or optional? I've heard both.
Will a US dollar credit card from something like TD work, if not, where is the best place to get one?
Can I point my billing address to one of those cross-border shipping services?
It looks like DirecTV requires a two-year contract, is there any trick to getting no contract? (and paying outright for the hardware)
Telephone-wise the plan is to snag a cheap AT&T prepaid SIM and use it with an unlocked phone just to get the sat online.
I will either be aligning the hardware myself (never done before), or just paying one of the many contractors on kijiji to get it done right the first time.

I want to get all my ducks in a row then cross the border to grab the hardware and setup the account.

Thanks for any help or wise words related to the question.

Last edited:
:welcome to Satelliteguys!

They do ask for a ssn so they can do a credit check. If you put money up front then I think they wave that requirement. You do need a legit US address. Whether or not one from a mailing service will work, I don't know. There is no way out of a contract for a new customer that I am aware of. I don't understand what you are asking about the phone and getting online. Can you elaborate? Depending upon how far north you are, the dish setup isn't very difficult. We can walk you through it.

Last edited:
You're right. I had just finished reading everything I could find, including a 20-page thread on here, and I was (more than) a little inflamed by the people just going on and on about the legality of subscribing to DirecTV when it was clear it didn't matter to the OP or the mods.

As long as you aren't account stacking, it's not a big deal.

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

They do ask for a ssn so they can do a credit check. If you put money up front then I think they wave that requirement. You do need a legit US address. Whether or not one from a mailing service will work, I don't know. There is no way out of a contract for a new customer that I am aware of. I don't understand what you are asking about the phone and getting online. Can you elaborate? Depending upon how far north you are, the dish setup isn't very difficult. We can walk you through it.

I was under the impression that you needed to call DirecTV from a US number once your dish and receiver were up and running and you were viewing channel 100. Perhaps this is no longer a requirement? I haven't been able to find any clear information from the 2010s, only older posts.

I was under the impression that you needed to call DirecTV from a US number once your dish and receiver were up and running and you were viewing channel 100. Perhaps this is no longer a requirement? I haven't been able to find any clear information from the 2010s, only older posts.

Ah, I get it now. Good point, I'm not sure about that. Maybe it can be done online without a phone call?

They do? How can they if it's not legal?

Site looks neat. I'm sure it's not legal, they're just flying under the radar. The FAQ is almost funny -- they don't even charge Canadian taxes, which is illegal regardless of your business. That said, it's definitely worth considering... they handle all the account creation and management for you.

Well, I guess I can't be too quick to say they are dodging Canadian taxes. Perhaps they are paying the difference between the 10% American tax and the varying Canadian tax (per province) themselves.

I'll have to look into it, I guess it's a question of the value of time.

Magic jack works great for showing a us phone number. What you need to do is figure out where your us service address is going to be. I'll use ny as an example. You need to setup a magic jack with a ny phone number then call in from that. As for dodging the us ssn... I'm not sure. You can try saying you don't wish to have a credit check run and refuse to give a ssn. Then ask about paying a deposit. I'm not sure how that would go. Set the address up at a us address and move the boxes your self then pay an installer to install them at your real address. You need a valid us address and a dtv tech will show up at that address so maybe find a friend that has dtv then have them remove their boxes and install at their house. Your boxes get activated there then you move back to Canada. Get your installer to set everything back up. Call billing and have your billing but not service address updated to a US forwarding address to Canada. Plug all your boxes into the magic jack for phone callbacks.

If you can find a us retailer that will activate boxes for you then let you take them that may work too. So try finding a us retailer close to the boarder and ask if they could create your account for you then let you self install. Call them back and let them activate.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

DO NOT go with them, their receivers are flagged by DTV, I know from experience... try these guys http://www.directvdish.co/# ....

Wow just had the craziest experience dealing with the above company over email. Reads from the bottom up.

I'm actually still in shock at the lack of customer service. This company does not deserve anyone's business.

-------------------------------------
Ryan
to Directv
3 minutes agoDetails
Wow, this is comical. I can't believe this. Do you not like to make sales? What kind of business practice is this. I'm posting this email trail on all the satellite forums that I frequent so people can realize what kind of company this is.

Good luck staying in business with customer service like this.

On Tuesday, May 28, 2013, Directv Dish Co wrote:
Go f**k yourself scum. No f**king free directv. Not happening for you.

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S™III

Ryanwrote:
I'm asking you to explain the directv free forlife promotion on your website. Do you not want to make a sale? I know there is a cost involved somewhere.. Can you at least try to act like a business and explain your products to me?

You have horrible customer service. English is obviously not your first language. What language do you speak maybe I can can translate my text to it and you can try to understand that I would like information on the packages on your website.

Thanks

Nothing free.

Ryan wrote:
I'm confused. I'm inquiring about the promotion on your website?

PREMIER PAK WITH NO MONTHLY
GET H24 WITH PREMIER PAK...NO MONTHLY FEE.
FREE FOR LIFE

Does it not exist anymore?

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 7:47 PM, Directv Dish Co wrote:
No free directv. Bye

Ryan wrote:
Hello, Can you explain to me how the free directv works?

Thanks
------------------------------------------

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow just had the craziest experience dealing with the above company over email. Reads from the bottom up.

I'm actually still in shock at the lack of customer service. This company does not deserve anyone's business.

-------------------------------------
Ryan
to Directv
3 minutes agoDetails
Wow, this is comical. I can't believe this. Do you not like to make sales? What kind of business practice is this. I'm posting this email trail on all the satellite forums that I frequent so people can realize what kind of company this is.

Good luck staying in business with customer service like this.

Go f**k yourself scum. No f**king free directv. Not happening for you.

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S?III

Ryanwrote:
I'm asking you to explain the directv free forlife promotion on your website. Do you not want to make a sale? I know there is a cost involved somewhere.. Can you at least try to act like a business and explain your products to me?

You have horrible customer service. English is obviously not your first language. What language do you speak maybe I can can translate my text to it and you can try to understand that I would like information on the packages on your website.

Thanks

Nothing free.

Ryan wrote:
I'm confused. I'm inquiring about the promotion on your website?

PREMIER PAK WITH NO MONTHLY
GET H24 WITH PREMIER PAK...NO MONTHLY FEE.
FREE FOR LIFE

Does it not exist anymore?

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 7:47 PM, Directv Dish Co wrote:
No free directv. Bye

Ryan wrote:
Hello, Can you explain to me how the free directv works?

Thanks
------------------------------------------

Wow, pretty much speechless

yea.... i wouldnt bother dealing with any companies that do something like this... I would buddy buddy up with someone you know right across the boarder.. then use craigslist or kiji or something to find an installer. You can attempt buying receivers from a retailer online if you like, but your looking at a great deal of money up front your would get for free if you have a legit install done somewhere south of your boarder, then just move everything your self.

By the way make sure to check into the vpn/on demand thread for running a us ip for ondemand and youtube. The will also get you access to hulu north of the boarder if you wish to pay for that. Personally i prefer magic jack for the phone number, but ooma and other services exist too.

I already signed up months ago with a different seller/installer and yes it was a big cost upfront but I don't know anyone in the states well enough that I could ask to do something like you proposed.

I was emailing this company for a friend as He is looking to setup directv also and I found the free for life deal and thought I'd inquire for him. Guess I'll be making a referral to my installer. Lol

I already signed up months ago with a different seller/installer and yes it was a big cost upfront but I don't know anyone in the states well enough that I could ask to do something like you proposed.

I was emailing this company for a friend as He is looking to setup directv also and I found the free for life deal and thought I'd inquire for him. Guess I'll be making a referral to my installer. Lol

If you know a legit installer close to where your living, (stateside of course) you can always have them create a "apartment box" at a local office. I once worked for (no names) a retailer that ran a set of apartment mailboxes on the address and set up Canadian customers using those addresses, as long as you don't install over an ACTIVE address you should be good to go. It is a touchy subject and it's hard to work around...

I pm'd the Op to offer my advice and recommendation but he never got back to me. Wasn't sure if I can post the companies info in the public forum. If its ok I will... I searched my local Kjiji for directv and found the company I used.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)