Sunday Ticket litigation

Radioguy41

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 7, 2008
Lehighton, PA
Reactions: Jimbo
I have a hard time believing Apple wanted to lose that much money. Nobody is going to pay 2.5 billion and not recover their investment.Most NFL fans like their local team on their local channel.Also CBS and Fox paid billions more for exclusive local rights..ROKU was never ever mentioned in any discussions before this..They are just a platform..most people who stream already have a ROKU or 2 because they are dirt cheap

Reactions: SamCdbs
First off, the article does not show what is alleged about the pricing, for example-

Second, further disclosures could show that the talks with Apple failed because Apple wanted to make the package significantly cheaper for consumers.

Key word-Could, not does show.

The plaintiffs in the Sunday Ticket antitrust litigation essentially are arguing that the league has withheld documents that would show Apple wasn’t selected due to its plan to offer the package for less than consumers have been paying.

More lawyer talk, basically saying release all the documents so that we can prove what we accuse the NFL of, not that they have evidence that the NFL did what they say.

This Class Action suit has been going on since 2016 and is one of those where lawyers get a big payday and everyone else gets a Coupon for $5.37 off.

Lastly, based on what the article/lawsuit says about the price, Sunday Ticket with YTTV is cheaper then DirecTV with Sunday Ticket, heck YTTV with is cheaper then DirecTV without, until June 6.

The standalone is more, but you cannot compare because that option did not exist before, there was no stand alone for the majority of Households, first time this season.

AppleTV Plus clearly doesn't have the customer base over which to spread the cost. The service has around 25 full subscriptions and 50 promotional subscriptions (many of these are limited-term with the purchase of an Apple phone or device). Offering NFLST might add another 10%.

Even if one in ten (much higher numbers than with DIRECTV) paid the full asking price, that will not recover the $2.5 billion in licensing, much less any production, advertising and distribution costs.

I expect that the pricing issue rumor was more crowdsourced than reality-based.

Reactions: SamCdbs
The bigger issue is the NFL has an antitrust exemption...the author of the article didn't do some basic research

Reactions: Derwin0 and SamCdbs
Litigation claiming the ST or the NFL generally is somehow a "monopoly" has been around since there was ST. It is based on a purposeful mis-reading of the law. ST is a luxury product and the contracts with Fox and CBS prevent it from being sold at below luxury prices. Common sense does as well.

ST is a luxury product and the contracts with Fox and CBS prevent it from being sold at below luxury prices.
There is no evidence that is true, especially now, since the person who runs NFL Media said Google sets the pricing-

The pricing for Sunday Ticket will ultimately be set by YouTube, which will also determine various potential packages to offer customers, Prasad said Thursday. That leaves the door open for options like individual team subscriptions. “We hope it continues to be a very accessible price and great opportunity for our fans,” Prasad said.

Apple might have wanted to allow consumers to buy Sunday Ticket for all games of only one team
well the NHL, NBA, MLB was forced by the courts to offer that
also what is so bad about haveing NFL ST being sold the same way that NHL CI/ NBA LP and MLB EI is?

Apple might have wanted to allow consumers to buy Sunday Ticket for all games of only one team
well the NHL, NBA, MLB was forced by the courts to offer that
also what is so bad about haveing NFL ST being sold the same way that NHL CI/ NBA LP and MLB EI is?
Nothing...the NFL has a antitrust exemption..the others don't

There's a reason not to expect a discount when Sunday Ticket moves online. According to an earlier report from CNBC, the NFL's contracts with CBS and Fox "included language that mandates Sunday Ticket have a premium price so as not to pull too many eyeballs away from the local market Sunday afternoon games acquired by the broadcast networks."
A buyer will also have limited flexibility on pricing, according to people familiar with the matter.

When the NFL signed contracts with CBS and Fox, the deals included language that mandates Sunday Ticket have a premium price so as not to pull too many eyeballs away from the local market Sunday afternoon games acquired by the broadcast networks, three of the people said.

Since the premium price has already been announced, I don't know why we are arguing about it, unless it a part of the "if I hold my breath long enough, they will sell me ESPN for $2".

No, no they won't.

There's a reason not to expect a discount when Sunday Ticket moves online. According to an earlier report from CNBC, the NFL's contracts with CBS and Fox "included language that mandates Sunday Ticket have a premium price so as not to pull too many eyeballs away from the local market Sunday afternoon games acquired by the broadcast networks."
A buyer will also have limited flexibility on pricing, according to people familiar with the matter.

When the NFL signed contracts with CBS and Fox, the deals included language that mandates Sunday Ticket have a premium price so as not to pull too many eyeballs away from the local market Sunday afternoon games acquired by the broadcast networks, three of the people said.

Since the premium price has already been announced, I don't know why we are arguing about it, unless it a part of the "if I hold my breath long enough, they will sell me ESPN for $2".

No, no they won't.
You did not post the first part of that-

So you post something about people familiar with this without naming them, from a article 11 months old, I provide quotes from the head of NFL Media after the deal was signed and I am incorrect?

And it is now being sold cheaper with YTTV then it was with DirecTV.

Last edited:

No, no they won't.
Once Googles streaming model fails..whats to stop them from reselling to cable and satellite companies?

This case has been around for a while, and significantly predates the latest agreement.

I can't imagine this will ever work in the end, I'm uncertain how the plaintiffs have legal standing. This would be news if Apple was suing the NFL over the Google agreement. Though, even then, while Apple would have standing, I'm uncertain the basis for a successful litigation.

Once Googles streaming model fails..whats to stop them from reselling to cable and satellite companies?
It is not going to fail, now that we know that Google can run their own ads instead of the ones from Fox/CBS, that is a significant amount of revenue they can make, which Google excels at.

Google is already using targeted advertising with YTTV, imagine how much they can make with those types of ads during NFL games.

I'd respond to this but there are no atheists in rabbit holes.

...wait a sec...

You did not post the first part of that-

A buyer will also have limited flexibility on pricing, according to people familiar with the matter
Yes, they can set the price anywhere they want, as long as it is a premium price. $400 has been widely reported as the minimum that Fox and CBS require.
And it is now being sold cheaper with YTTV then it was with DirecTV.

This, is, obviously, incorrect.