NFL Law Suit - Ticket sales

I don't agree with the premise of the suit. Tickets were available on the secondary market and if the plaintiff really wanted to go he could have found tickets there....

I don't agree with the premise of the suit. Tickets were available on the secondary market and if the plaintiff really wanted to go he could have found tickets there....
Which costs a whole lot more.

The monetary amounts are way off base, but the lawsuit premise is sound.

Which costs a whole lot more.

The monetary amounts are way off base, but the lawsuit premise is sound.

If he was a big enough fan, he could afford it.

Funny thing is, the 49ers head coach didn't see a problem with the policy:

"Well, it's within the rules. It's within the spirit of the rules of the National Football League," Harbaugh said. "I actually respect it, what you're trying to do for your team, put them in the best possible position to win that you can. And I respect that their organization does that for their team. They do that in a lot of ways, with their team, with their fans, with their organization. So, what do I think of it? I respect it."

Jim Harbaugh on Seahawks ticket restrictions: I actually respect it

If he was a big enough fan, he could afford it.

Funny thing is, the 49ers head coach didn't see a problem with the policy:

Jim Harbaugh on Seahawks ticket restrictions: I actually respect it

He could have afforded it regardless, problem is they would not accept his money because it showed him from an area that wasn't "OK'd" by the Seattle team marketing.

I say this is BS, if I can't get tickets to any game I want, provided I have the money, theres a problem ....
NO WAY should teams be able to NOT SELL tickets to anyone with the money.

Stub hub would not sell them to people either if it's the way I understood it.

They all have to pay with a CC, so if it didn't show up in a Seattle area it was denied.

As was mentioned earlier, this policy didn't apply to the secondary market.

The Denver Broncos limited ticket availability in the AFC championship game also. There was still a decent number of Patriots fans in attendance.

Hell, even the NBA’s OKC Thunder recently did it in their playoff series with the Grizzlies….

Thunder restrict playoff ticket sales so Tennessee fans can't buy them

I was on the fence till the secondary market was mentioned. That makes it worse, not better. So not only can you not buy them from the NFL, you must pay more if you buy them elsewhere.
I agree this is not new as the other examples point out. But I would like to see a court say it's a legal practice. Keep in mind just because something has been done before doesn't mean it's legal unless already decided by the court system.

I hate to say it, but if there is so much demand they can restrict sales and still sell out- the ticket prices must be too low.

Do people still successfully scalp tickets today?

I took a quick look through the lawsuit, and even though I'm not an attorney there's so many errors and ambiguities in there I can't see how the suit can succeed.

The Seahawks stadium in the suit is referred to as "Qwest Field", "Qwest Stadium", and "Quest Field". The stadium's correct name since 2011 is "CenturyLink Field".

The suit mentions that the ticket policy is a violation of "the Federal Consumer Fraud Act and/or common law". A quick Google search fails to find any information regarding anything called "Federal Consumer Fraud Act". Also, the suit fails to detail what common law has been violated.

The suit mentions that the policy violates laws regarding Public Accommodations. Public Accommodations is defined as "All persons shall be entitled to the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, as defined in this section, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin." There's no reference here to geographic location.

So the court can reject it as "defective?"

Not sure, but I do know they haven't noted a valid law that's been broken or a valid right that has been violated by this ticket policy.

This policy may be morally and/or ethically wrong, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be illegal....

I hate to say it, but if there is so much demand they can restrict sales and still sell out- the ticket prices must be too low.

Do people still successfully scalp tickets today?

The whole purpose of this is because with ebay and sites such as Stub Hub, you got people who specifically buy tickets to resell them on the secondary market at inflated prices.

I remember a few years ago when the Tigers and Twins had that 1 game Tiebreaker game in Minnesota. I had all 40 computers logged into the Twins website waiting for an oppertunity to buy tickets. I remember we ended up buying like 50 tickets to that game and in just 2 days ended up making almost $4,000.

If you think that was bad, I had them all listed on ebay, had a scalper contact me and sold them all who probably resold them and made even more money than I did.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)