Surround Sound from OTA

jbcheshire

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Jan 25, 2005
West of the Mississippi
Yeah, read in my manual that there was a difference between the analog stereo using the red/white plugs to get the 5.1 surround versus using the coax digital or optical audio to get it. But, how exactly is DD really different???

TuxCoder

Collector of Space Beams
Supporting Founder
Jul 8, 2004
Dayton, OH
jbcheshire said:
analog stereo using the red/white plugs to get the 5.1 surround
Unpossible. :)

The only way to get 5.1 surround is with a digital audio connection (S/PDIF=1 rca, orange or black; or TOSLink=optical). Otherwise, with just an analog stereo connection (2 rca, red & white), you might get Dolby ProLogic surround sound. But the stereo audio track has to contain the Dolby ProLogic encoded, so if not, you'll just get plain old-fashioned stereo sound. But then again, your A/V receiver most likely has certain DSP-enabled effect modes to simulate surround sound and other effects if you set it in those modes. It's confusing, I know, but just remember 5.1 and above (6.1, 7.1) need the single-wire (S/PDIF or TOSLink) digital audio connection.

jbcheshire

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Jan 25, 2005
West of the Mississippi
Okay I confess, I am a little confused.
I have connections from my DVD player into my A/V receiver for each speaker in my surround sound system. Is the dvd player not passing surround sound that way?? Because when i do a sound test they offer on the Star Wars videos and such I can here the sound move around the room as it relates to what I see happening on my tv screen... Or, when a disney DVD starts you see tinker-bell fly around the screen and I can hear the sound move to the appropriate speakers too...

Kevinw

Just a regular guy
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 2, 2003
Jacksonville, FL
5.1 works great as well as optical. Or you just hook up the 508 using r/w rca's -Unless it is broadacst digitally virtually nothing analog is more than stereo.

TuxCoder

Collector of Space Beams
Supporting Founder
Jul 8, 2004
Dayton, OH
jbcheshire said:
I have connections from my DVD player into my A/V receiver for each speaker in my surround sound system.
My fault here, I wasn't thinking about the separate analog per-channel connections (I have never used those). In that case, if you have one cable going from the DVD player to the A/V receiver for each of: left front, right front, center front, left rear, right rear, subwoofer; then your DVD player is decoding the Dolby Digital 5.1 signal and putting out the separate analog signal for each speaker, to be amplified by your A/V receiver. That is basically the same thing as using a single digital connection. However, it does introduce more/longer analog paths that could suffer from interference, but that wouldn't likely cause any problems.

jbcheshire

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Jan 25, 2005
West of the Mississippi
No problemo... I am glad to hear I can use them as effectively as the single digital cable....

Tux,
How about that coax-optical adapter you mentioned. Does it have a specific name I should look for at radio shack?

Carl B

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2003
Arvada, CO
Since you will be using your receiver's multi-channel inputs for DD from your DVD player, don't you now have at least 2 DD ports available on your receiver (i.e., SAT/CABLE/TV and DVD)? If that is the case, you don't need an TosLink selector.

TuxCoder

Collector of Space Beams
Supporting Founder
Jul 8, 2004
Dayton, OH
jbcheshire said:
Tux,
How about that coax-optical adapter you mentioned. Does it have a specific name I should look for at radio shack?
I don't know of a specific name for it since I've seen it called many things. I suggest going to a good electronics/AV/Home Theater store's web site and do a search for the term "optical" since that's probably the term most likely to appear in the product description.

Here are some at a good place I like to frequent:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=180-960
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=180-961

$17.85, with AC adapter included. One converts optical-to-coax and the other converts in the other direction. But I'm certain I've seen ones that are universal (can convert in both directions) and I thought I had seen ones that don't need external power, but that doesn't make a lot of sense especially when going from optical to coax.

Kevinw

Just a regular guy
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 2, 2003
Jacksonville, FL
jbcheshire said:
Unfortunately the 508 only has a TOSLink output, like my tv. So, i have to choose which one i want sound from for the a/v receiver to distribute...
No the 508 has analog stereo outputs. As I said earlier 90% of analog TV is only stereo. HD is often 5.1

jbcheshire

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Jan 25, 2005
West of the Mississippi
I am not for sure if you are saying it doesn't have the TOSLink, or if it ALSO has the red/white analog audio output. However, you can on occasion get some DD sound out of the movie stations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)