Thank You Charlie.

I like baseball and hockey, but don't think its fair that all Dish subscribers pay for the MLB & NHL networks because I watch them. Sports channels should be a la carte, just like the International and premium movies channels are.

USA does not show only reruns of Law & Order. Not including fake wrestling (no offense fake wrestling fans!), USA has seven original shows that can't be seen on ESPN or any other sports channel.

Sports channels are an added value to those who like and/or watch sports on TV, otherwise they are worthless to non-sports watching subscribers. Wouldn't it be easier for sports fans to go to sports bars to watch live sporting events? Certain sports, like MiLB, stream games online.

You must be a comedian...

I dont think I should have to pay for OWN, DIY, Cooking, etc...

You must be a comedian...

Sometimes...

I dont think I should have to pay for OWN, DIY, Cooking, etc...

If you don't want them I don't think you should either...

RECAP

I agree, all sports should be in a separate package or tier.

RSNs should go back to their premium days.

Sports should be their own tier. You want, you pay. Quit jacking up my bill for stuff I don't watch.

I'd be totally happy with a 100 percent sports free TV provider. Imagine how low your bill would truly be.

Im a big sports fan, but damn, how many do they need. 10 years every team will have their own channel.

You quoted my reference to this one channel. Your comment about sports fans going out to the bars to watch games is just retarded, I get the troll reference now.

I've never seen more subs whine about sports than dish network customers.

I like baseball and hockey, but don't think its fair that all Dish subscribers pay for the MLB & NHL networks because I watch them. Sports channels should be a la carte, just like the International and premium movies channels are.

I don't see why you don't understand that your argument applies to every channel. Not everyone watches sports, sure. Not everyone watches news either. Or women's channels. Or children's channels (I don't even have children). Or nature channels. Or shopping channels. Or anything channels. You guys are just singling out sports to exclude and put on a premium tier because sports happens to be one of the most popular (and thus costly) things you don't like.

USA does not show only reruns of Law & Order. Not including fake wrestling (no offense fake wrestling fans!)

Wrestling is, of course, fake, but it's half a sport (in the sense that it's athletic and involves competitions, albeit staged ones with pre-determined outcomes), and it's their highest rated program most weeks. SpikeTV has their own wrestling. SyFy has wrestling. So even the top rated non-sports channels are using quasi-sports content to increase their ratings. TNT and TBS air real (non-wrestling non-fake) sports. It's hard to even find many popular networks that don't air sports or wrestling or something akin to a sport- Why? Because people want to watch sports, and it's content you can't get in other places, many times.

USA has seven original shows that can't be seen on ESPN or any other sports channel.

I like Royal Pains, which airs on USA Network. I get the DVDs from Netflix when they come out. I don't even watch it on the channel itself. Weekly appointment viewing for television programs is no longer really something I do very often- especially with so many reruns and pre-emptions, and long breaks between new episodes. Every year it seems like shows make fewer and fewer new episodes. I'd rather just catch them via DVD rental later with no commercials and relatively near each other in time. Especially true with British shows like Dr. Who where you might get 10 new episodes a year if you're lucky (Though, to be fair, that's always been the case with British shows- and I love Dr. Who, but I generally watch it on DVD, too). So, I like these shows that Dish airs, but I almost never watch them on Dish, so where's the value in that for me? I've got Dish for sports and news, and everything else is just in the category of "Nice, but not why I pay the bill.". Might be different if I had a DVR, I guess... maybe.

Wouldn't it be easier for sports fans to go to sports bars to watch live sporting events?

Really? Am I understanding you right? Are you saying "Wouldn't it be easier for sports fans to leave their homes and find a seedy bar to pay for overpriced beer on an uncomfortable bar stool several times a week to catch sports than watch them on their couch?"? That'd cost a fortune and be extremely inconvenient and aggravating, especially to people who have any sort of social anxiety or don't like noise. And what about when you just want to catch a little bit of the game between other activities? Or play with your dog while watching? Or cook dinner? Or get stuff done on the computer?

I actually do know a sports fan who married a woman who didn't want a TV in the house. He spent so much time and money at bars and imposing on friends that she agreed to get a TV and a cable package in no time. Most people don't want to become a modern-day version of Norm from Cheers. Heck, most people can't afford to be Norm.

Certain sports, like MiLB, stream games online.

Minor league baseball? Eh, pass. I want to watch major league games from my home team, which aren't available streaming in any part of their extended home region, which I happen to live in. Ditto NFL and NHL games (Or the latter ever get that lockout settled). Granted, some of the college football and basketball from my favorite team is available streaming- some of it.

Dear Charlie,

I found this bulletin and was not surprised at all. Frankly, I knew this would happen and I did not expect anything better from you and your company.

http://sports.blogs.mydesert.com/20...work-talks-to-carry-los-angeles-lakers-games/

Update on Dish Network talks to carry Los Angeles Lakers games
Posted: November 20th, 2012 | Author: Matt Solinsky | Filed under: Basketball, Sports Blog, TV/Media | Tags: Deportes, Dish Network, Los Angeles Lakers, Time Warner Cable, Time Warner Cable SportsNet

It does not appear that Dish Network customers will be watching many Los Angeles Lakers basketball games this season.

The satellite provider is the lone holdout to carry Los Angeles Lakers games on Time Warner Cable SportsNet and Deportes.

Time Warner Cable released an update on negotiations Tuesday evening that does not sound encouraging either:

“Despite our best efforts and their customers’ demands, DISH Network has elected not to carry Time Warner Cable SportsNet and Time Warner Cable Deportes. Given the popularity of the programming, including the country’s first Spanish-language regional sports network, we hope their position will change.

“Fortunately, because our networks are available to virtually every sports fan in the region, DISH customers are able to switch to Time Warner Cable, DIRECTV, Cox, Verizon FiOS, AT&T Uverse, Bright House Networks and Charter to get the Lakers, Galaxy and Sparks programming they desire.”

Once again Dish proved that they are "Satellite Leaders".
The link does not work

Makes me happy. Sports should be their own tier. You want, you pay. Quit jacking up my bill for stuff I don't watch.

Same applies to all those niche channels, shopping channels, etc that sports fans NEVER watch but are forced to fund.
You are in a roundabout way advocating a la carte programming.

I don't see why you don't understand that your argument applies to every channel. Not everyone watches sports, sure. Not everyone watches news either. Or women's channels. Or children's channels (I don't even have children). Or nature channels. Or shopping channels. Or anything channels. You guys are just singling out sports to exclude and put on a premium tier because sports happens to be one of the most popular (and thus costly) things you don't like.

Thing is, I am not the only one who has said the sports channels should be separate. But, I do agree with your sentiment where channels in general are concerned. There are a lot of channels that I don't watch, but in many cases, the sports channels carry a higher per subscriber fee than others. I am willing to bet that most Dish subscribers watch movies, but don't think everyone should be forced to subscribe to all the premium movie packages.

SpikeTV has their own wrestling. SyFy has wrestling. So even the top rated non-sports channels are using quasi-sports content to increase their ratings. TNT and TBS air real (non-wrestling non-fake) sports. It's hard to even find many popular networks that don't air sports or wrestling or something akin to a sport- Why? Because people want to watch sports, and it's content you can't get in other places, many times.

None of the channels you mentioned cost as much as say ESPN. So to your point, you can see sporting events, but to see the ones you want, shouldn't you have to pay a premium for that?

I like Royal Pains, which airs on USA Network. I get the DVDs from Netflix when they come out. I don't even watch it on the channel itself. Weekly appointment viewing for television programs is no longer really something I do very often- especially with so many reruns and pre-emptions, and long breaks between new episodes. Every year it seems like shows make fewer and fewer new episodes. I'd rather just catch them via DVD rental later with no commercials and relatively near each other in time. Especially true with British shows like Dr. Who where you might get 10 new episodes a year if you're lucky (Though, to be fair, that's always been the case with British shows- and I love Dr. Who, but I generally watch it on DVD, too). So, I like these shows that Dish airs, but I almost never watch them on Dish, so where's the value in that for me? I've got Dish for sports and news, and everything else is just in the category of "Nice, but not why I pay the bill.". Might be different if I had a DVR, I guess... maybe.

I won't argue about content. History was one of my favorite channels and I won't watch it anymore. Pay TV is actually getting to the point where it makes more sense to either stream the shows you want and/or wait for the DVD. At the same time, adding more sports channels that some don't want to pay for does not make sense.

And what about when you just want to catch a little bit of the game between other activities? Or play with your dog while watching? Or cook dinner? Or get stuff done on the computer?

Aahh, yes. The amenities you can't find in a seedy bar. But, you wouldn't miss a game, and I wouldn't have to pay for you to play with your dog. :D

Minor league baseball? Eh, pass. I want to watch major league games from my home team, which aren't available streaming in any part of their extended home region, which I happen to live in. Ditto NFL and NHL games (Or the latter ever get that lockout settled). Granted, some of the college football and basketball from my favorite team is available streaming- some of it.

MiLB may not be for everyone. But I would gladly pay for an MiLB channel if I could watch the team from back home play without having to travel 900 miles. ;)

To me HanoverPretzel you have disproved your own point. Sports is the gravy not the bread and butter. If sports were the bread and butter then basic cable/sat would be full of sports channels and not USA, Discover, A&E, SyFy, and etc w/1 sports channel ESPN. Sports is what brings in the extra on top of mainstays. Every cable/sat provider put ESPN into their lowest package that is why it ask for and gets the big bucks. It is the brand everyone knows. The RSN's & Lakers ( and their ilk) are just niche stations that sports people love. I really feel that sports should be stripped out of standard packages and put in their own package. With maybe leaving the one biggie in the basic package. As far as I'm concerned Charlie really should push for doing that.
You can believe that if you choose to do so. Without the ad revenue generated by sports programming, pay tv would be more expensive and largely out of reach of most Americans.
Like the OP said. Reruns of Two and A Half Men or The Golden Girls do not generate billions of dollars. They don't generate thousands of dollars.
Sports programming essentially subsidizes most non sports programming.
Premium movie channels are self sustaining. The 4 networks barely stay above water. That is why the managements are always looking at ratings. Anything shaky and the show gets cancelled.
it is what it is.
I detect a particular vitriol against sports fans and sports programming. As though these people believe they are being forced to deal with activities the despise.
Well just not liking something does not make it the demon nor criminal.
Look, anyone who wants an exclusive type programming on their pay TV system, can lobby all they wish for a la carte.

USA does not show only reruns of Law & Order. Not including fake wrestling (no offense fake wrestling fans!), USA has seven original shows that can't be seen on ESPN or any other sports channel.

Sports channels are an added value to those who like and/or watch sports on TV, otherwise they are worthless to non-sports watching subscribers. Wouldn't it be easier for sports fans to go to sports bars to watch live sporting events? Certain sports, like MiLB, stream games online.
Wouldn't it be easier for sports fans to go to sports bars to watch live sporting events? ..That is a hostile question.
Whyt the hell should I or any other sports fan be forced to go to a tavern to watch our favorite sport or team. Not everyone drinks. Not everyone even likes going to bars.
Your idea has the holding capacity of a sieve.
Now, since sports programming is going nowhere, I submit it is YOU who has the problem. So why can't you just go to a vegan restaurant so you can watch the Baby Channel?

I don't mind the troll reference because I know when and why Scott added it. ;)

Well just be careful. You are coming dangerously close to hitting the border of Troll and becoming something much more highly disliked.
Just state your case and leave it at that.

You can believe that if you choose to do so. Without the ad revenue generated by sports programming, pay tv would be more expensive and largely out of reach of most Americans.
Like the OP said. Reruns of Two and A Half Men or The Golden Girls do not generate billions of dollars. They don't generate thousands of dollars.
That is so far from true. Most shows make more money in syndication than they did in their original runs, not to mention the ad revenue for the stations/channels that carry them

Last edited:
People cry about funding a niche channel that costs a few cents per subscriber and compare it to the sports channels which cost a few dollars per subscriber like if they were the same burden on your bill.

Also, there seems to be a huge disconnect between what some people value espn and by what the viewership says. If I remember correctly USA is the most watched cable channel and the national channels beat everything else out easily. I get it man, I love sports but lets be honest the price of admission is too high now and it is spiraling out of control thanks to the die hard fans.

I never said I wasn't a sports fan. In fact I bought season tickets to a local AHL franchise because I'm sick of waiting for the NHL to get their heads out of their asses. And I never had NHL season tickets in the past. You could flip the bill for the Lakers channel if it was a premium service. The team wants every subscriber to flip the bill. Let us sports fans pay. Case and point. I'd pay for NESN a la carte, but not CSN New England. Why? I hate the crap basketball played in the NBA. I watch the NCAA men's and women's ball, and I watch the Suns of the WNBA.

Fatman, your post made me remember in the long ago before time, when the Red Sox where on Channel 38 - seen on cable (geez I even remember their "theme song") and then NESN came along. We (my family when I was growing up) were amazed and somewhat irritated that we would have to PAY to see our beloved Sox. I believe it might have been an additional $10.00 - back then that was a lot. I then moved to a city where NESN was "included" in the cable package, and not an a la carte. I'm sure my bill was higher for the "inclusion" Then I moved back to my hometown and by then it was packaged in with the rest of the channels. But yes now I would still pay extra if I wanted to watch them but not the Celtics. But my Dad would rather watch the Celtics, he has Cable which carries the CSN. I think he would pay for the Celtics and not the Red Sox. I do think the providers try to give most people what they want. We are all not going to be happy all the time ! :D

Last edited:
Does anyone here read this and just see the same old complaints that are in about 50 other threads? One side says I hate sports and don't want to pay for it. The other side says I hate the girly and reality shows and don't want to pay for them. A la carte would be too expensive and making individual packages for each genre would get confusing. How in the world could Dish possibly offer everyone what they want at one affordable price? I know! Offer a mixture of all the channels in a just a few easy to understand packages so everyone can get the channels they want for a lower cost.

I think we need to look at the history of pay TV here. As TV got more and more popular people started demanding more and more channels. They all want these channels and they want them all in on package for a reasonable price. Now it's gotten to the point where there are so many niche channels out there that people are overwhelmed by it. With all of these channels comes some added cost.

Too me, the way TV providers have things packaged now is the best way to provide all of the most popular channels to the majority of people in an affordable way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)