the Dish 2016 predictions thread: Post your predictions here.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Willh699

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 20, 2009
Campbell, TX
Well, we are just a few days away from the start of the new year and as always we deal with some changes as we go though a full year and Dish too deals with changes during a full calendar year.

so now we start the predictions for the next year which starts Friday.

i'll start with my predictions for 2016:

Dish and Viacom agree to a new deal but it will be a costly one as we will temporary lose the Viacom channels for a period from a full day to a full month.

Fox and Dish reaches a new agreement, and again, it comes at a cost, as Dish and Fox will settle their lawsuits and agree to add a 7 to 14 day no auto-hop to Fox prime-time programming on the Hopper's PrimeTime Anytime (and yes, just like CBS, all Fox TV affiliates not owned by Fox will be affected by the Auto-Hop changes too).

Dish will lose some more subscribers due to cord cutters and the growing cost of the Dish bill, especially after the annual February price rate hike.

The new Carbon UI is finally released, but Bluegras is the last to get it due to his nagging and begging for it.

Dish does release the 3rd generation Hopper which will have more tuners as well as being able to bring 4K broadcasting to 4K Ultra HD TVs. also Dish will also release the new 4K joeys too.

Dish launches their first 4K channels, and more HD channels that haven't been in HD on Dish yet (and none of those new HD channels will be 24/7 HD RSNs, sorry sports fans).

Dish loses some local TV stations due to disputes, but resolves said disputes.

and finally, Dish merges with a Phone company similar to the AT&T/DirecTV merger.

again, these are my predictions, we will find out by this time next year if they come true.

now anyone else want to do predictions for 2016, you can do so here.

I agree with the Viacom part, definitely not going to be nice.

Of course new UI, Hopper and 4K joey, those basically have been anounced.

But beyond that, I also see some satellite movements especially in the EA,
and WA transferred to MPEG 4 across the board for expansion projects.

Also see more subscriber losses.
I'm predicting 250,000 minimum for the year.(I think Directv will be Hit Much harder 750,000)

I'm predicting another price increase during 2016 other then Januarys.

I think a deal will be struck with YES, and SNY.
Not MSG.

The next Hopper will be 4K and have 6 tuners.

I don't see many more HD channel Launches. The focus will be on 4K.

But since a Deal with Starz has been made, I bet we will see more HD from that area.

I see Dish expanding its High speed Internet with much Higher data caps. MINIMUM 100 GB.

I think Dish will Try and Find a merger, And I bet it's Verizon, Not Sprint or T mobile.
I see it announced this year, but no merger until 2017.
This will set the pace for Better East Coast offerings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I don't think Verizon wants Dish. Perhaps some relationship where Dish leases its spectrum holdings to Verizon, but not a merger. If anything, it will be TMobile I would guess, could be Sprint though, even with the SoftBank buyout, they are struggling, ending up #4 behind TMobile. I could see a revived Sprint/Dish merger attempt. If Verizon wanted anything Dish brought to the table, they would have made a jump already.

Reactions: Stargazer
I'm hoping for the new hopper to have Internet fallback.

Wouldn't it be nice if that feature was software upgradable to the HWS?
I really wouldn't see why it couldn't do it, from a technical standpoint, DTV was able to implement it on their older HR models.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Dish will not merge with a telco as long as Ergen is in charge. AT&T was set to buy Dish years ago but Charlie turned down the offer.

I think a new hopper could be coming, but we are at the 3 tuner limit unless dish gets sling technology.

One possible solution would be to remove the tuner from the hopper, and have it remotely powered off the sat receiver through the coax, like a super Joey but have it located outdoors or in an area where they can run 3-4 coax cables to it.

I see dish to continue to loose subs, but will hide it with sling tv additions.

Possibly another round of getting rid of more dealers.

Dish will not merge with a telco as long as Ergen is in charge. AT&T was set to buy Dish years ago but Charlie turned down the offer.

I think a new hopper could be coming, but we are at the 3 tuner limit unless dish gets sling technology.

One possible solution would be to remove the tuner from the hopper, and have it remotely powered off the sat receiver through the coax, like a super Joey but have it located outdoors or in an area where they can run 3-4 coax cables to it.

I see dish to continue to loose subs, but will hide it with sling tv additions.

Possibly another round of getting rid of more dealers.
Why a 3 tuner limit for a Hopper? I predict ALL MVPDs loose subscribers in 2016, not just Dish.

May turn out to be 3 tuners, however, I say we have no idea what Echostar has come up with. Won't be very long until we find out if they show it at CES.

What has changed that would allow deals with YES and SNY? The DirecTV sports fee in NY is going up to $6 and change per month for YES, SNY and MSG. I doubt those channels are getting any cheaper.
It's a prediction.
Doesn't need to be analyzed.
But you also seem to forget, Dish carries RSNS in plenty of other DMAs.
It's not like Dish doesn't currently have any RSNs.
They Have Multiple RSNs in a Number of markets.

So Just because Directv does something, doesn't mean Dish has to do the same.

Tivo has no problem using 6 tuners on one coax.

Totally different technology; the problem is NOT the tuners themselves (on 1 coax), it's the fact the dish output technology ITSELF is currently limited to 3 tuners (via stacking technology) on 1 coax...while there could (in theory) be a 6-tuner Ho, it would then have to use 2 coax inputs, but I highly doubt E* would resort to that, because then it's going to be very limiting in (many) homes where you can't get a 2nd coax to the Ho.

It's a prediction.
Doesn't need to be analyzed.
But you also seem to forget, Dish carries RSNS in plenty of other DMAs.
It's not like Dish doesn't currently have any RSNs.
They Have Multiple RSNs in a Number of markets.

So Just because Directv does something, doesn't mean Dish has to do the same.

I could see YES. With the FOX deal expiring shortly, and YES owned 70 or 80% by FOX, would they try and add that into the renewal deal? Possibly. That would be the best bet. I agree 100% that MSG won't be back on Dish, and I would put SNY at a very small percentage because that is a Comcast owned network, and Dish just re-upped the CSN RSN's last December.

Totally different technology; the problem is NOT the tuners themselves (on 1 coax), it's the fact the dish output technology ITSELF is currently limited to 3 tuners (via stacking technology) on 1 coax...while there could (in theory) be a 6-tuner Ho, it would then have to use 2 coax inputs, but I highly doubt E* would resort to that, because then it's going to be very limiting in (many) homes where you can't get a 2nd coax to the Ho.
Maybe the New LNB remedies this.

Reactions: Foxbat
I don't know about a prediction but I would like to see more networks added to autohop. That has become one of my favorite features of the hopper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts