The Dish Network Install from Hell

Pennsylvania has a 72 hour law too.

I recommended swingline who I used for windows to my best friend who wanted siding.

the salesman came to the home used this price is only good today.

my buddy signed on the dotted line and gave swingline the deposit.

the next day the company called and cancelled the contract stating their salesman made a pricing error. they wanted $1500.00 bucks more

it goes both ways.

Okay since you guys have been so helpful. I thought I'd share the letter I jst sent to the CEO. As i indicated in the letter I wnat to give them a chance to fix the situation but I won't compromise on what I want for the install. Keep in mind there are a lot of unstated facts about the configuration being addressed here. Just 1 SD TV and 3 HD TVs on 2 different floors. Much of this will sound familiar from my earlier post.

Comments welcome.

CSR Spoke with Joanne ID: S03 Date: 1/16/10
Install Department CSR spoke with Jessica N22 1/16/10

I've just been through an example of a extremely poor installation for my Dish Network system and what can only be termed a nightmare. After the horrific install experience I spent another harrowing 1.5 hours on the phone with your customer service departments only to come away even more frustrated and feeling that Dish Network might have been a mistake. Luckily a mistake that can be reversed.

During the process of the installation your installer lied to me repeatedly from trying to convince me that RCA jacks and coaxial cables would deliver HD quality signals to my HD TVs, he also drilled through the front brick work of my $650K home (and left the hole unsealed), changed my work order without my permission, would not allow me the time to read the papers he shoved in front of me on the way out which turned out to be papers that stated I was satisfied with all the work, WHICH I WAS NOT!

The trouble started that morning when I received a call to tell me that the scheduled installer's car broke down. The call came in at 12:15 pm for an 8-12pm install. I was told that they would have another installer re-routed and over within 30 minutes or so. The installer got here at 4pm and didn't leave until after 7pm. I spent from 7 - 9:10 pm on the phone with Dish Network customer service trying to salvage the whole situation. I will admit that the CSR tried her best except for the fact that she too misspoke in saying I had no recourse as is provided by the 72 hour installation cancellation clause in your contract.

The Dish customer service rep came to a compromise with me to add another receiver with no extra charge and to leave the other two receivers in place to fix the situation, we both agreed that this would be the simplest solution and would cause the least amount of additional turmoil. It would have resulted in Dish supplying us another receiver and installing it as a "customer purchased option" still at no extra charge to me, which I felt I deserved after the painful experience so far. However after reaching agreement with her and her supervisor on this solution, she was overruled by another of her supervisors who wanted me to pay money to correct the problem. They wanted me to pay $150 for a receiver to fix the problem, which I would not agree to do. Let me re-state this whole mess occurred because the installer changed my original request and work order and also wired the house in such a way that the Duo DVR will not be able to connect to the SD TV as he has them on two separate lines from the dish. I refused to agree to pay more money and was left in the cold on finding any relief from the horrible install problem. In addition please understand that I researched for several weeks and decided on the Dish Network because of the better equipment and programming, to this end I also asked the CSR for a 222k for the replacement that she was sending. I was told that her supervisors told me "I did not qualify for the 222k because of the promotional rate I was getting". This is frustrating and ludicrous!!!

Then I was assured that the bad installation where your installer defaced the front of my home (which is made of a brick) by inserting a coaxial cable in the front of my house in a very prominent place where it detracts from the appearance of my house as well as lowering the value, would be fixed. Please note: when the installer and I discussed the placement of the cable we had agreed that he would run the cable in such a was as it would not be able to be seen, just as the cable company had done since he was placing the coaxial cable in the same location in the house where Comcast and Direct TV (who I had service with years ago before Comcast was available) had placed their cables. I thought we agreed that he would place the cable outlet in the wall and run it through the basement and back up to the dish just as Comcast and Direct TV had done , I came back to inspect after he had left and it had gone dark outside. To my horror I saw that he had placed the cable all the way through the wall of my house. I might add that he did not even secure the cable to the brick, secure the ground wire or seal the hole he placed in my house. This morning in checking I see that he did not even use a mounting plate on the inside of the house and that cold air is coming into my house where he drilled and ran the cable. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE AND I WANT SATISFACTION IMMEDIATELY!

My wife, who is an architect screamed when she saw the damage the installer did.

While talking to the CSR I was assured that the bad installation would be fixed but when I got transferred to the installation quality assurance department I was told by a very discourteous woman that there was nothing they could do because I had signed a paper saying I was satisfied and that no supervisors were available after 3:30 MST. She said she would relay my dissatisfaction to the local Office who did the install, which sh must have done because I just finished talking to the owner of that operation a person named E***n. He promised to come out tomorrow.

Location I dealt with was the White Marsh (Baltimore) the installer's English was barely understandable and I think most of the problems centered around this and his total disregard for honesty.

Now I know part of all this is my fault, I should have not signed the papers the installer shoved into my face and lied that they were just for the receivers without reading, them but every time I started to read them he would move them and kept pointing to where to sign and insisting that I sign. In addition he told me he would give me the receiver that I had ordered and had to insist that he install, instead after promising he would get in it he got in his car and drove away saying that he did not have one and that I should wait until next week and call for an upgrade. Why do you suppose he told me to wait until next week, maybe to use up the 72 hour cancellation window? Dishonest until the last!

I now know that I should have continued to watch him like a hawk instead of walking away when we had agreed that he would be running the line in from the outside through the basement and then to my office instead of straight through my wall in front of my house, if he spoke and understood English well enough this should not have happened or been necessary.

Please don't misunderstand me. I want to keep the Dish Network system. I will go back to Comcast happily however as this was an attempt to just improve the service and price for television. But by your rules I have 72 hours to alleviate any problems or live with them. I WILL NOT ACCEPT THE INSTALLATION AND SETUP THE WAY IT HAS BEEN COMPLETED TO DATE. The installer's supervisor is coming over tomorrow and I will give him a chance to fix the installation problem. I fully intend to cancel if I am not happy with his results or yours. I'm referring to the programming/equipment situation. Your CSR's supervisors would only agree to give me a $10 reduction in my bill for a 1 year period and all premium channels for 3 months. They are supplying another receiver but taking away the Duo receiver upstairs. We all know 3 months of premium channels is not any type of compromise as that offer is available to anyone who wants it just to sign up for the service. I asked for a year of of all premium channels and Japan TV for 6 months for free and they turned me down. I made sure to emphasize to the CSR that I was not happy with the compromise as she read her spiel in the script where she says she was "happy we could reach a compromise". And I'm still not happy.

I want to believe that Echostar cares about their customers. That you give a crap about the horrific start I have had with your installer and with customer service. As to how you can convince me, I will leave it to you for now. I can be reached on any of my contact numbers. I don't want it to sound as if I'm issuing an ultimatum but I have less than 48 hours to resolve this situation gone bad. Comcast is not scheduled to intterupt the service until next weekend.

I await your reply.

Sincerely,

Okay since you guys have been so helpful. I thought I'd share the letter I jst sent to the CEO. As i indicated in the letter I wnat to give them a chance to fix the situation but I won't compromise on what I want for the install. Keep in mind there are a lot of unstated facts about the configuration being addressed here. Just 1 SD TV and 3 HD TVs on 2 different floors. Much of this will sound familiar from my earlier post.

Comments welcome.

CSR Spoke with Joanne ID: S03 Date: 1/16/10
Install Department CSR spoke with Jessica N22 1/16/10

I've just been through an example of a extremely poor installation for my Dish Network system and what can only be termed a nightmare. After the horrific install experience I spent another harrowing 1.5 hours on the phone with your customer service departments only to come away even more frustrated and feeling that Dish Network might have been a mistake. Luckily a mistake that can be reversed.

During the process of the installation your installer lied to me repeatedly from trying to convince me that RCA jacks and coaxial cables would deliver HD quality signals to my HD TVs, he also drilled through the front brick work of my $650K home (and left the hole unsealed), changed my work order without my permission, would not allow me the time to read the papers he shoved in front of me on the way out which turned out to be papers that stated I was satisfied with all the work, WHICH I WAS NOT!

The trouble started that morning when I received a call to tell me that the scheduled installer's car broke down. The call came in at 12:15 pm for an 8-12pm install. I was told that they would have another installer re-routed and over within 30 minutes or so. The installer got here at 4pm and didn't leave until after 7pm. I spent from 7 - 9:10 pm on the phone with Dish Network customer service trying to salvage the whole situation. I will admit that the CSR tried her best except for the fact that she too misspoke in saying I had no recourse as is provided by the 72 hour installation cancellation clause in your contract.

The Dish customer service rep came to a compromise with me to add another receiver with no extra charge and to leave the other two receivers in place to fix the situation, we both agreed that this would be the simplest solution and would cause the least amount of additional turmoil. It would have resulted in Dish supplying us another receiver and installing it as a "customer purchased option" still at no extra charge to me, which I felt I deserved after the painful experience so far. However after reaching agreement with her and her supervisor on this solution, she was overruled by another of her supervisors who wanted me to pay money to correct the problem. They wanted me to pay $150 for a receiver to fix the problem, which I would not agree to do. Let me re-state this whole mess occurred because the installer changed my original request and work order and also wired the house in such a way that the Duo DVR will not be able to connect to the SD TV as he has them on two separate lines from the dish. I refused to agree to pay more money and was left in the cold on finding any relief from the horrible install problem. In addition please understand that I researched for several weeks and decided on the Dish Network because of the better equipment and programming, to this end I also asked the CSR for a 222k for the replacement that she was sending. I was told that her supervisors told me "I did not qualify for the 222k because of the promotional rate I was getting". This is frustrating and ludicrous!!!

Then I was assured that the bad installation where your installer defaced the front of my home (which is made of a brick) by inserting a coaxial cable in the front of my house in a very prominent place where it detracts from the appearance of my house as well as lowering the value, would be fixed. Please note: when the installer and I discussed the placement of the cable we had agreed that he would run the cable in such a was as it would not be able to be seen, just as the cable company had done since he was placing the coaxial cable in the same location in the house where Comcast and Direct TV (who I had service with years ago before Comcast was available) had placed their cables. I thought we agreed that he would place the cable outlet in the wall and run it through the basement and back up to the dish just as Comcast and Direct TV had done , I came back to inspect after he had left and it had gone dark outside. To my horror I saw that he had placed the cable all the way through the wall of my house. I might add that he did not even secure the cable to the brick, secure the ground wire or seal the hole he placed in my house. This morning in checking I see that he did not even use a mounting plate on the inside of the house and that cold air is coming into my house where he drilled and ran the cable. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE AND I WANT SATISFACTION IMMEDIATELY!

My wife, who is an architect screamed when she saw the damage the installer did.

While talking to the CSR I was assured that the bad installation would be fixed but when I got transferred to the installation quality assurance department I was told by a very discourteous woman that there was nothing they could do because I had signed a paper saying I was satisfied and that no supervisors were available after 3:30 MST. She said she would relay my dissatisfaction to the local Office who did the install, which sh must have done because I just finished talking to the owner of that operation a person named E***n. He promised to come out tomorrow.

Location I dealt with was the White Marsh (Baltimore) the installer's English was barely understandable and I think most of the problems centered around this and his total disregard for honesty.

Now I know part of all this is my fault, I should have not signed the papers the installer shoved into my face and lied that they were just for the receivers without reading, them but every time I started to read them he would move them and kept pointing to where to sign and insisting that I sign. In addition he told me he would give me the receiver that I had ordered and had to insist that he install, instead after promising he would get in it he got in his car and drove away saying that he did not have one and that I should wait until next week and call for an upgrade. Why do you suppose he told me to wait until next week, maybe to use up the 72 hour cancellation window? Dishonest until the last!

I now know that I should have continued to watch him like a hawk instead of walking away when we had agreed that he would be running the line in from the outside through the basement and then to my office instead of straight through my wall in front of my house, if he spoke and understood English well enough this should not have happened or been necessary.

Please don't misunderstand me. I want to keep the Dish Network system. I will go back to Comcast happily however as this was an attempt to just improve the service and price for television. But by your rules I have 72 hours to alleviate any problems or live with them. I WILL NOT ACCEPT THE INSTALLATION AND SETUP THE WAY IT HAS BEEN COMPLETED TO DATE. The installer's supervisor is coming over tomorrow and I will give him a chance to fix the installation problem. I fully intend to cancel if I am not happy with his results or yours. I'm referring to the programming/equipment situation. Your CSR's supervisors would only agree to give me a $10 reduction in my bill for a 1 year period and all premium channels for 3 months. They are supplying another receiver but taking away the Duo receiver upstairs. We all know 3 months of premium channels is not any type of compromise as that offer is available to anyone who wants it just to sign up for the service. I asked for a year of of all premium channels and Japan TV for 6 months for free and they turned me down. I made sure to emphasize to the CSR that I was not happy with the compromise as she read her spiel in the script where she says she was "happy we could reach a compromise". And I'm still not happy.

I want to believe that Echostar cares about their customers. That you give a crap about the horrific start I have had with your installer and with customer service. As to how you can convince me, I will leave it to you for now. I can be reached on any of my contact numbers. I don't want it to sound as if I'm issuing an ultimatum but I have less than 48 hours to resolve this situation gone bad. Comcast is not scheduled to intterupt the service until next weekend.

I await your reply.

Sincerely,

I would cancel immediately, as in today, and if you still want dish have them come back and do an reinstall. This way you will still have the 72hours for the second install.

can some one point me to where you have 72 hrs to cancel, unless the state you live in says other wise , i dont believe you have any window, there is a 72 hr window to add additional equipment but dish has no 72 hr policy for un- committing. I guess I could be wrong

You would need to have proof though as Dish Network could say "we were not notified of such thing". They could say that you forged the online chat couldn't they?

First CANCEL, call local paper, and the free extra receiver comes with FEES>

Now the "hard part"
Hardware
1. Determine what receiver models you have, and quantity.

If you only have 1 receiver, the price is included in your basic programming backage price, no matter what model it is
If you have more than 1 box, one receiver will be included in your programming package (most expensive will be free, may need to talk to CSR to re-order your receivers on your account). The additional receivers cost the corresponding amount, per receiver, per month.

Solo (301, 311, 381, 501, 508) $7
HD Solo (211, 211k, 411) $7
Solo DVR (510, 512) $10
HD Solo DVR (612) $10

Duo (322) $14
HD Duo (222, 222k) $14
Duo DVR (522, 625) $17
HD Duo DVR (622, 622HZ, 722, 722k) $17

You pay this price per month regardless of it you own or lease from Dish.

2. Do you have a DVR (or any number from 1- infinity DVRs on your account)?

If yes, add $6 to your account.
If no, do not add $6
No matter how many DVR's you have, its just one $6 fee PER ACCOUNT, NOT PER DVR!

3. Do you have any or all of your receivers plugged in to a phone line or ethernet?

It doesn't matter, you will not see any charge relating to phone line or internet plug in.
If currently being charge $5 per month for this, you can cross that off your bill come Feb 1.
If currently plugged in, you will NOT see a $5 line item added Feb 1

[SIDEBAR]
Just for the record, everyone crying about getting $5 added to their bill come Feb 1, this is not entirely true. It was never a $5 credit to your bill, you just avoided a $5 charge. I do not have home phone service, so I used to pay $5 per month EXTRA. YOU DID NOT GET A $5 CREDIT (INDICATED BY A -$5.00, on your bill before!) Now Dish may be lumping that $5 into the fee for each additional receiver, and the business ethics of this may be argued, you will not see a $5 line item increase!
[SIDEBAR OFF]

DHPP, premiums, HD access + platinum, etc
No change in monthly rate here.
DHPP $5.99
HD + platinum: $10
Premiums, still the same

(edit) Don't forget to add your tax!

Add it all up and see what you get. Thats your new bill

Its pretty basic math, hopefully this little thought process will help people figure it out on their own...

This is just to help you figure out your costs, and to try and get all the info into one post! I dont care what you think about the new pricing stucture. My bill will actually go down $2 per month, with 2 722's

John

Solo (301, 311, 381, 501, 508) $7
HD Solo (211, 211k, 411) $7
Solo DVR (510, 512) $10
HD Solo DVR (612) $10

Duo (322) $14
HD Duo (222, 222k) $14
Duo DVR (522, 625) $17
HD Duo DVR (622, 622HZ, 722, 722k) $17

You pay this price per month regardless of it you own or lease from Dish.

2. Do you have a DVR (or any number from 1- infinity DVRs on your account)?

If yes, add $6 to your account.
If no, do not add $6
No matter how many DVR's you have, its just one $6 fee PER ACCOUNT, NOT PER DVR!

The way I read it is $6 for fist DVR, $3 for every other.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)