The Satellite War is ON!

Alan Gordon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 20, 2003
Dawson, GA
long_time_DNC said:
I guess my main concern with all the "competition" talk and "satellite war" stuff is that, yes, in the end, the consumer may win, but how many changes will the consumer have to make from one company to the other, buy different receivers and/or antennas and switches before a "winner" is declared?

I don't know about everyone else here, but my funds are not limitless and my desire to switch to and fro to get the channels I want in HD is not boundless either.

6-7 years ago, I went with Dish (and got rid of cable) because they had the programming I wanted. I haven't always been completely content with Dish, but for the most part, I have been.

I suppose my point is this: changing satellite providers isn't a simple task. It's not like changing your long-distance or cell phone provider.

So, yes, while I agree that competition is good and the consumer benefits at some point, in the end, my concern is what we will have to endure before we get to a comfortable place again.

Joe

I've been with DirecTV, and then later DirecTV through Pegasus for 10 years now, and though I would LOVE to have TNT-HD and Albany, GA locals which Dish either already has now or will have this month, I'm sticking it out with DirecTV, especially now that it looks like Pegasus is about to be gone...besides, I've been without TNT-HD and Albany, GA locals for ten years now, I think I can go a little longer...

~Alan

dlsnyder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 8, 2003
Moreno Valley, CA
I would bet that that is a typical response one would hear from any average satellite subscriber, especially those who haven't yet discovered this place. It takes alot to overcome the inertia of even marginal satisfaction. I have been with Dish for four years now and they have been WAY better than any cable company I have ever had to deal with. I get a reasonable level of service for a reasonable price. Why would I bother switching, even if I have the occasional hardware hiccup? Yes, I have to reset my 508 every now and then. I have even had to reset one of my 301s a couple of times. I just deal with it because I know in the long run switching is a hassle and the service on the other side of the fence is going to be about the same. Why bother with it?

long_time_DNC

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, where it rains a lot...
dlsnyder said:
I would bet that that is a typical response one would hear from any average satellite subscriber, especially those who haven't yet discovered this place. It takes alot to overcome the inertia of even marginal satisfaction. I have been with Dish for four years now and they have been WAY better than any cable company I have ever had to deal with. I get a reasonable level of service for a reasonable price. Why would I bother switching, even if I have the occasional hardware hiccup? Yes, I have to reset my 508 every now and then. I have even had to reset one of my 301s a couple of times. I just deal with it because I know in the long run switching is a hassle and the service on the other side of the fence is going to be about the same. Why bother with it?

Exactly the reason I've stayed with Dish for the past 6-7 years. They're far better than the local cable company and the recent issues with the 811, while having been a bit of a pain, are getting better/being resolved. So, I don't see myself going anywhere...but an average subscriber who doesn't know about this place could spend a lot of time/money/effort flip-flopping around.

IndyMichael

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Switching seemed easy to me. I had DirecTV installed the day before our next Dish month would start, waited til everything was installed, and once it was working, called Dish and cancelled.

Foxbat

Addicted to new HW
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Michiana
ROLLTIDE said:
I wonder how many troops bush will send out for this war
Someone want to Photoshop the Abu Grahib photo with Murdoch holding onto Charlie's leash?

perkke

Jun 7, 2004
Kennewick, WA
Switching Providers

We had Charter Cable, untill they decided that their routine service outages would fly with the customers. I was pretty set on DirecTV because for some reason I liked the idea of brand named equipment. I got the chance to see the neighbors Dish Network system. I later got a chance to use a DirecTV sytem. To me, it seemed like it took forever to change a channel on the Dish system, and the receiver was not very user freindly. We decided to go with the DirecTV. About a month later Dish came out with their locals in our area. We decided to wait it out, and I am glad we did because now our locals will be availible on 6/24. Overall, I think it is probably best to stick with what you may have.

belawrence

SatelliteGuys Guru
Jan 22, 2004
Santee, CA
I wouldn't call it a satellite war?

Because of the nature of this site, people see D* actions as a shot at E*. But, as always, D* & E* biggest competitor is and will always be cable. Where I live there are two MSOs (Cox & Time Warner) who do a extremely high amount of advertising against satellite on our local channels. I get dish buyback offers at least once every two months and am constantly told how much i'll save on my HSD bill if I use their TV service also. I think both D* & E* would rather snatch a sub from cable than from each other because once a sub goes sat, he/she isn't likely to go back to cable without some incredible incentive. I haven't read through all of the previous posts, so i'm sorry if someone else has already brought this up.

Unthinkable

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 7, 2003
snathanb said:
Well... that may be a bit of an exageration. I could see #2 happening in the very distant future. After all, we will look back and laugh at the days when we had to pay extra to view channels in HD.

Not going to happen in this lifetime. I can't see the HD package ever being dissolved into the Everything Pak when people will readily pay extra for this priviledge. Too much profit involved. Its all about the benjamins. Adult programming, foreign programming, HD, sports packages, etc... will always be extras imo.

stratguy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
May 20, 2004
Nashville
GaryPen said:
A more likely scenerio will be that E* will add value to the existing packages vs. lowering the cost of the packages. They also might offer more promos such as 6 month discounts on premium channels, etc.

That would be great we'll just have to wait and see. I hope you are right Gary.

bcshields

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 28, 2003
Delaware
belawrence said:
Because of the nature of this site, people see D* actions as a shot at E*. But, as always, D* & E* biggest competitor is and will always be cable. Where I live there are two MSOs (Cox & Time Warner) who do a extremely high amount of advertising against satellite on our local channels. I get dish buyback offers at least once every two months and am constantly told how much i'll save on my HSD bill if I use their TV service also. I think both D* & E* would rather snatch a sub from cable than from each other because once a sub goes sat, he/she isn't likely to go back to cable without some incredible incentive. I haven't read through all of the previous posts, so i'm sorry if someone else has already brought this up.

I agree... when I see a customer ditch and run, it's usually after both satellite companies have pissed them off.. or they have NLOS and no hope for it.

Chris Freeland

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 8, 2003
Collegedale, TN
belawrence said:

I agree, the only way E* and D* compete with each other is which provider can convert the most cable subs over to satellite. Any promotions either DBS provider runs or any channels either DBS provider adds, how each provider structures their programing packages are all aimed to lure the cable sub not so much each other.

mike123abc

Too many cables
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
Unthinkable said:
Not going to happen in this lifetime. I can't see the HD package ever being dissolved into the Everything Pak when people will readily pay extra for this priviledge. Too much profit involved. Its all about the benjamins. Adult programming, foreign programming, HD, sports packages, etc... will always be extras imo.

It will probably happen sooner than most people think. What will happen is that when a round of programming talks go through the providers will demand it. Turner just renewed. I could see them in the next round of talks demanding that all subs get to see TNT-HD. The first round is to get it carried at all, the next round(s) is to get it to more and more subs... AT180 then AT120, etc...

Unthinkable

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 7, 2003
mike123abc said:
It will probably happen sooner than most people think. What will happen is that when a round of programming talks go through the providers will demand it. Turner just renewed. I could see them in the next round of talks demanding that all subs get to see TNT-HD. The first round is to get it carried at all, the next round(s) is to get it to more and more subs... AT180 then AT120, etc...

I'm not so sure about that. Charlie's programming team can simply counter with "only X percent of our subscribers currently have the capability and desire to view/subscribe to our HD Pak at this point in time so its way overbearing from our standpoint to insist this one particular HD channel be included in a Top 120 or Top 180 package". Based on what I've heard watching Charlie Chats over the last 3 or 4 years, Dish will likely argue the potential eyeballs that can actually get the channel today based on current HD subscriber numbers as opposed to TNT bellying up to the bar disputing how big of a target audience their channel really has. Its a bit of a "which came first? the chicken or the egg?" catch-22 for sure same as it was when HDTV's first came out and there was no compelling programming for early adopters to really sink their teeth into. TV Manufacturers were slow to roll out new HD sets with so little "must see" prime time programming available while TV networks were asking themselves why they should invest way more money into this with new cameras and equipment at the time when so few TV's were even in peoples homes.

I could maybe see a separate Network ABC, FOX, NBC, CBS HD channels package included in the Everything Pak down the road (although even this I highly doubt for the same reasons I'm about to allude to), but why would Charlie all of a sudden throw in the towel on making some profits off of all the subcribers religiously clamoring on a daily basis for more HD channels added to their HD pack? People are more then willing to pay for an HD package as an extra on top of their base packages. I just don't see that structure changing to a degree where an entire package would be included for no additional cost. If anything, we might see a deal where you get a $5 discount if you take Top 120 + Locals + HBO + HD Pak or something of the like. Seems like wishful thinking to me to figure it will be entirely dissolved without any added costs being passed along to the consumers going on past Dish Network operating policies. They seem to view an "HD package" the exact same way they deem other "extras" like the adult, foreign, movie, sports packages. Keyword there is extra.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts