The Satellite War is ON!

Back at its Q1 conference call, DirecTV said it would be getting into internationals in a big way after the 7S launch, so this isn't really a new development...

Today on my DirecTivo they had downloaded two video's. One was a recap of the lanuch of D7S. The other was a 3 minute video of Eddy Hartenstein talking about the launch and saying how it was going allow D* to do more LIL, international (looked like a couple of asian channels based on the language plus others that zipped by) and more HDTV.

If they follow through in the next few months on the HDTV part I'll be a happy camper. Got the HD Tivo now give us more stuff to record on it.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I think they also said 50 HD channels as well. :) Remember that? :D

What do you want, this was from the same person that said the software on the 921 was stable on the last customer chat. ;)

Scott Greczkowski said:
Just got an update on some of the people at DirecTV negotating for forigen channels, I am told that there are reps there from the following international markets.

Polish
Arab
German
Italian

Plus a few more. Again I am told that these new internationals will be on DirecTV within 45 days. I am also told that not all contracts are signed yet, however they expect everything to be done by Friday.

Besides Arab language programming, the other 3 aren't that much in demand from Dish Network. Where I live, Indian is BY FAR THE MOST demanded country, BY FAR. I had 2 Russian customers, 4 Arab customers, 2 Pakistani Customers, and I think 1 Greek customer. Meanwhile I've had over 40 Indian customers.

I wonder if this means I should delay trying to get a 721. Last fall Direct offered me 2 directivos to replace my 510's and would allow me to purchse a 3rd for $99 to come back to them but I was now in pegasucks area and could not make it workl. Thay would not even cut me a break on 1 unit to go with them. I really liked the way the press release repeatedly referred to the loss of customers in thiier area. You would think they don't like each other.

It looks like Pegasus is not going anywhere for now since they just filed chapter 11 bankruptcy. So for us in their territory it's not going to get any better for a while if ever. The C11 puts a stay on this deal.

DirecTV can go for an injunction if they feel this is a way to stall.

Pegasus owes DirecTV a lot of money and they were due to pay this money this week.

From what I know Pegasus had an "All Hands" meeting scheduled for tommorow, this was before all of this blew up today. It was expected that at this meeting the end was to be announced.

DirecTV has the money and I am sure much better lawyers then Pegasus, I am sure if DirecTV's lawyers say that this entire thing is legal, then it is legal.

Pegasus is best off by accepting DirecTV's offer, and that offer is also whats best for Pegasus shareholders.

Sonnie Parker said:
It looks like Pegasus is not going anywhere for now since they just filed chapter 11 bankruptcy. So for us in their territory it's not going to get any better for a while if ever. The C11 puts a stay on this deal.
Not likely. Remember, Pegasus' contract is with the NRTC, not D*; a court just recently confirmed that. No automatic stay in a Pegasus case can prevent the NRTC and D* from terminating their separate agreement, even though that undermines Pegasus' separate contract; and in any event that happened BEFORE Pegasus filed Chapter 11. Scott is right; Pegasus' options are convert to Chapter 7 with D*'s money (shareholders get something), or without it (shareholders are SOL). Either way, it sure puts a fire under Charlie's tail; Rupert's untying his hands from behind his back...

Don't forget that all the activity is not at DIRECTV... Hidden in the last SEC filing Dish casually mentions renting 2 more satellites/slots in currently unannounced locations. What are they planning with all this capacity? They are probably not going to be LIL since Dish (especially with the new spot beam satellite going up to 110 next year) pretty much has the current satellite capacity for all 210 markets. Dish has 5 TPs on 105, and 8 TPs on 121, not to mention transponders are not really loaded on either one.

Maybe they finally make a full satellite of HDTV like they had planned with 105...

mike123abc said:
Don't forget that all the activity is not at DIRECTV... Hidden in the last SEC filing Dish casually mentions renting 2 more satellites/slots in currently unannounced locations. What are they planning with all this capacity? They are probably not going to be LIL since Dish (especially with the new spot beam satellite going up to 110 next year) pretty much has the current satellite capacity for all 210 markets. Dish has 5 TPs on 105, and 8 TPs on 121, not to mention transponders are not really loaded on either one.

Maybe they finally make a full satellite of HDTV like they had planned with 105...
Pretty sure Dish is still interested in retooling their satellite internet options with one of these.

What are the chances of our existing bills be lowered due to this info? I think we have 2 chances and of course they are slim and none. :no

GaryPen said:
A more likely scenerio will be that E* will add value to the existing packages vs. lowering the cost of the packages. They also might offer more promos such as 6 month discounts on premium channels, etc.

How much wiggle room does E* have to play with their pricing? They're already 'giving' the hardware away to get new subs which is costing them. Do they have room to add new programming (add value) at 110/119 and what's out there that would cause folks to switch or stay (that's not HD)? How much would Charlie be willing to run things into the red to keep up the sub numbers?

I'd like to know how DirecTV plans to fit HD, INTL, LOCALS, and AMERICAN programming basically all on the 101 satellite. I understand they have slots at 110 and 119 but they are like maybe 5 transponders at most. Is that 75 degree satellite supposed to carry all these new channels. Then what about the SHVIA and the two dish issue now that Echostar is battling with.

Echostar has more local markets, more HD, more INTL and have about twice the transponders and orbital real estate that DirecTV has. How is DirecTV gonna fit all of this onto limited transponders????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)