The Tonight Show with Jay Leno! Part Deux

We stopped watching "Tonight" when Conan got the shaft and Leno did nothing to help the issue.

I wouldn't say Leno did nothing to help the issue...he helped push Conan off the cliff when he asked him to look down and take a look. ;)

It was actually a good move because Conan was just another late-night guy telling mediocre jokes, conducting mediocre skits, and with a really annoying pale white complexion. Anyway, it appears that NBC is trying their best to screw up the one area they have dominated in television - late night. If they push Leno out, they are going to fall to 3rd place in the late-night ratings:

1. Late Night NBC Hate Night with Jay Leno (FOX)
2. Bitter, Hateful, Hasn't Been Funny in 20-Years with David Letterman (CBS)
3. Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon (NBC)

[URL="http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9097994/assessing-state-late-night-television-shows-turbulent-week"]Why Jimmy Fallon is a lot like Jay Leno[/URL]

There are differences, of course. Fallon is fresher than Leno. But as Ken Tucker — in an essay on the new late-night wars — notes: "Fallon is like Leno in these respects: He is an anodyne jokester, one whose most ardent desire is to avoid alienating anyone who's watching or sitting across from him. He's also, like Leno, a gleefully dreadful interviewer. Not only has Fallon never shed the habit of laughing at a guest's mildest sally with a lurching, hold-my-stomach hysteria — he's turned it into a trademark, guffawing at everyone from Nicolas Cage to Selena Gomez as though he were a constant, grateful witness to the resurrection of Richard Pryor circa 1982."

Looks like it's official:

On Wednesday, Jay Leno confirmed the rampant reports that he's once again departing "The Tonight Show," presumably for good this time.

He'll wrap up his 22-year run as host in spring 2014, with Jimmy Fallon officially signing on as his replacement.

"Congratulations Jimmy," Leno said. "I hope you're as lucky as me and hold on to the job until you're the old guy. If you need me, I'll be at the garage."

According to a statement from NBC, "As part of the transition, 'The Tonight Show' will be returning to its original home in 30 Rock in New York" from Leno's base of Los Angeles.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/03/showbiz/tv/leno-tonight-show-exit/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

A piece of me thought it was all a way to hype Leno's ratings. Once again I am proven wrong.

This generation is getting the "Tonight" host it deserves — just like the last generation

Jay Leno's jokes perfectly embodied the standup-hungry times when he took over "The Tonight Show" in 1992, as Richard Lawson points out. Conan O'Brien's oddball shtick, however, was out of place when his turn came in 2009. But, adds Lawson, "as far as 'Tonight' is concerned, Fallon feels like the guy for today. So what if he's a terrible interviewer? Jay wasn't much of one either."

I like Jimmy Fallon a thousands times better than I did Conan the Destroyer...Tonight Show destroyer that is. Anyway, does Leno land a new late-night job on Fox or is he content to do his weekend stand-up gig and semi-retire to his garage? And will Jay be able to run his garage (he does have a lot of expensive cars) without his Tonight Show paycheck.

That's the big question. Is he content to semi retire or does Fox lure him over there.

He has said before that he has never used any Tonight Show money for his cars, it all comes from his stand up shows. I don't know if that included the buildings and upkeep or just the purchasing. I saw a special a few years ago that showed his garages. He has his own solar and steam generators to make his own electricity in the garages. It was a pretty cool episode, but I don't remember what show it was.

I like Jimmy Fallon a thousands times better than I did Conan the Destroyer...Tonight Show destroyer that is. Anyway, does Leno land a new late-night job on Fox or is he content to do his weekend stand-up gig and semi-retire to his garage? And will Jay be able to run his garage (he does have a lot of expensive cars) without his Tonight Show paycheck.

Oh, I think Jay has plenty of money ...
Besides, IF times got hard, all he'd have to do is sell a car and he'd be fine for awhile longer.

Oh, I think Jay has plenty of money ...
Besides, IF times got hard, all he'd have to do is sell a car and he'd be fine for awhile longer.

Or Stand up as he still does locally in Manhattan Beach

Sent from my SPH-L900

Jay has been reported saying that he lives off his live comedy shows, and has banked all the Tonight show monies over the years. He is used to living on the cheap from his days of living on the edge when he first got to LA. He should have a lot of money saved up by now. Unlike other Hollywood actors he has carefully saved and invested his money in case the worst happened.

Moving the show to NY should bring some healthy competition for guests with Letterman.

Has there been any talk about who may replace Fallon, and where that show may originate from??

Moving the show to NY should bring some healthy competition for guests with Letterman.

Has there been any talk about who may replace Fallon, and where that show may originate from??
Seth Myers from SNL has been brought up, I think Howard Stern would be a better choice... I think they are making a mistake not having an West Coast talk show though.

Why Seth Meyers, who's older than Fallon, would be a bad "Late Night" pick
sethmeyers.jpg
Bill Simmons and his Grantland staff offer some suggestions for "Late Night" host — as long as it's not Seth Meyers. Says Simmons: "Don't pick someone who might be better at hosting a late-night show than your 11:30 guy (and Seth might be better); don't pick someone who would potentially threaten your 11:30 guy (and Seth might); don't pick someone who overlaps with your 11:30 guy (and Seth comes from the Lorne Michaels/SNL machine, has many of the same talent/celebrity connections, and trusts all of the same people); don't pick someone who's the same age as your 11:30 guy (and Seth is one year older than Jimmy); and for a second time, DON’T PICK SOMEONE FOR 12:30 WHO MIGHT BE BETTER THAN YOUR 11:30 GUY. Because that could potentially be awkward." PLUS: Fallon to Meyers would amount to "NBC's White Boy Shuffle."