Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
Hey all of you in the snow regions
How many of you have the new 5 LNB and how is it working with the different weather conditions ?

I probably got 10" of snow this past few days and NEVER lost signal or anything close to it.
I woud go out and look at teh dish from time to time and barly anything on it.

Curious, is the 5 lnb dish slightly more vertical ?, maybe not catching the snow the way the others did ?

Jimbo

Ive had the 5 LNB dish since last winter and I dont lose pic due to rain fade or snow.

With the 3 lnb dish I did lose signal due to rain fade.

Thats good to hear, I to have had no problems yet with snow.
Could the 5 lnbs be abit more up and down than the other dishes, therefore not allowing the snow to build up as easily ?

Jimbo

Last edited:
Here in southern CT we only got a couple of inches, but alot of sleet and freezing rain. I had no problems with reception.

Not so good for me. We just got 10" and I competely lost all signals. LNB'S had no snow but the base of my slimline accumulated some snow thus the signal loss. Pain to put the ladder up and clear but all is well again.

Michigan - had one day this year that too much snow stuck to the dish itself and all sats had zero signal. tapped the broom on the back of the dish (on roof) and it still didn't work. Thankfully a few hours later it warmed up enough that what was on there slid off and I dind't have to get out my ladder.

It has done well in most rain, think I lost signal once or twice this fall, but only a few minutes at once.

Michigan - had one day this year that too much snow stuck to the dish itself and all sats had zero signal. tapped the broom on the back of the dish (on roof) and it still didn't work. Thankfully a few hours later it warmed up enough that what was on there slid off and I dind't have to get out my ladder.

It has done well in most rain, think I lost signal once or twice this fall, but only a few minutes at once.

You are correct, we have yet to have a heavy snow, most snow we've had have been light and fluffy, it will be interesting to see what happens when (if) we get the heavy sticky snow.

Jimbo

get a squirt gun (supersoaker preferably) and fill it with rubbing alcohol.

i have done about 20 service calls in the past 2 days and 19 of them were snow on the dish. dont get me wrong i'll take the easy money but im sure you guys want your tv back on asap.

kinda weird I woke up wednesday morning and could see the ice hanging off the dish. I mean it was coated in ice BUT I still have signal!!! Icecicles and all, coated in 2"of ice and with 6-10" of snow I still have signal. Go Figure.

i do the 5 lnb dish it is better then other dishes but harder we hate it. but they are worth it if u have a hd box. and if u dont lose signal its because the tech who did it did a good job. any lil thiong could throw those off.

i do the 5 lnb dish it is better then other dishes but harder we hate it. but they are worth it if u have a hd box. and if u dont lose signal its because the tech who did it did a good job. any lil thiong could throw those off.

I have had NO problems with my 5 lnb set up, but then I still don't have any mpeg4 stuff either.

Jimbo

Snow and lots of ICE here over night and morning.
Signal has never waviered !!!

jkh1978,

Where you at and what happened to your signal ?

Jimbo

I had a 5ft drift against my house where my 5LNB is mounted ( burried my dish!!!) and I did not lose signal. (East of Cleveland...in the buckle of the snow belt!) we got over 2 feet of snow in 2 days plus blowing/drifting/ice. With my old 3LNB oval, I would fart the wrong way and I would lose signal.....may be an install thing....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts