Toshiba HDTV remote works with MicroHD too -- sort of.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hwm

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
North Central Idaho
The only complaint I have with my MicroHD is that it will respond to many of the IR signals from the remote for our 50" Toshiba LCD HDTV. I put the MicroHD down at floor level in the TV cabinet, and we aim high for the TV, low for the MicroHD.

Other than that, we love the MicroHD. It never gives any freezing/locking up trouble like the old S10 did, and it will hang onto amazingly weak signals.

The only complaint I have with my MicroHD is that it will respond to many of the IR signals from the remote for our 50" Toshiba LCD HDTV...

Yeah, that is a known issue. I have a microHD on the Toshiba tv in our master bedroom. When laying on the bed watching tv, when I use the Toshiba remote I can just "block" the Toshiba signal from the micro with my foot (don't even have to raise my foot off the bed).

Sometimes size 12 feet come in handy. :D

Odd thing is, the MicroHD remote has no effect on the Toshiba TV.

I wonder if this issue can be addressed by a firmware update.

Since the MicroHD remote does not affect the Toshiba TV the IR codes used are not identical.

Could the STB firmware be changed/upgraded to make its IR code selection/sensitivity more discriminating?

Or is this a problem with the Toshiba remotes emitting a "dirty" signal.

Last edited:
I wonder if this is actual an IR reflection problem sometimes experienced with LCD TVs.

I wonder what would happen if you tried 1) raising or lower the backlighting on the TV or 2) partially covering the IR sensor on the MicroHD with some electrical tape.

I wonder if this is actual an IR reflection problem sometimes experienced with LCD TVs.

I wonder what would happen if you tried 1) raising or lower the backlighting on the TV or 2) partially covering the IR sensor on the MicroHD with some electrical tape.

Back around 1994-6 or so, some RCA/GE TV's [Thompson Electronics] had a similar problem with fluorescent lights and their solution for anyone doing factory service for them at first was a little plastic hood that glued onto the front of the TV above the IR receiver. Later they had a better fix.

It was very annoying, brand new TV's would turn on by themselves under fluorescent lights and at full volume. I might even have some of those little plastic hoods around somewhere still, cause all the TV's I'd sold I fixed the IR receiver rather than gluing a ugly plastic thing to the front of a brand new TV.

Last edited:

My MicroHD is in a cabinet at floor level, about 3 feet under the Toshiba TV, and fully shielded from the LCD TV screen by several large shelves above it. It is also behind a glass door. It makes no difference if glass door is open or shut.

I tried a Vizio universal remote set up for the Toshiba TV, and it messes with the MicroHD also; opening the DVR screen when the TV volume is changed, etc. So we can't blame it on the Toshiba OEM remote.

I have an old Sanyo bookshelf radio cd player every time I used my sanyo remote it turns down the volume on the micro.

Dan Rose

Status
Please reply by conversation.