Trying to control a soundbar and TV with DISH remote

Go.into.the menu of the Hopper.

Sellect the settings icon.

Select the remote icon.

Select the AUX button on the far right of the screen.

Select type of audio device.

Select brand.

In order to test you.must put remote into aux mode and press volume up and down. If it works put remote back into sat mode and select yes.

Then scroll to bottom of screen where it says volume (in the remote screen).

Select aux instead of TV.

Select save.

Go back to TV like usual.

Now while in normal operation.mode the volume will control the Soundboard and TV power will control the TV power.

Enjoy.

(I did this all from.memory so if I missed an order of a step or two I am sorry, but I'm sure even with my slight error you can figure it all out.

Nope, pretty sure you hit every step. I do this with my tv & sound bar at home. They're both lower end devices so box has hdmi to tv & optical to soundbar. I just have to press Aux to power my bar on/off then Sat back to main controls. Hopper is SUPER easy to program remotes now.

Hopper is SUPER easy to program remotes now.

Yea, after finding the HOPPER manual online and fumbling through it to read all kinds of info about reprogramming the remote, I came across something that mentioned the Hopper can do it. I then decided to give it a try and programming the remote the way we wanted through the HOPPER receiver was super easy. A really nice feature that I like.

Does DirecTV basically do this as well? I ask because these family members are looking to possibly switch to DirecTV in about 7 months when their DISH contract is up. I will then most likely have to do some of this all over and hoping the process can be as easy and the DirecTV receivers can program their own remotes as well. Just wondering.

If I were to get a Panasonic sound bar/wireless subwoofer, can the HDMI connection be between the soundbar and the tv, or does the DISH receiver/dvr have to be connected directly to the sound bar?

If I were to get a Panasonic sound bar/wireless subwoofer, can the HDMI connection be between the soundbar and the tv, or does the DISH receiver/dvr have to be connected directly to the sound bar?
I prefer to connect HDMI from Dish receiver to TV and from DVD player to second HDMI input on TV. Then connect optical audio out from TV to soundbar. That way both TV HDMI inputs will use soundbar.

Well, some sound bars turn on automatically when the TV is powered on. This would allow them to just turn it on the way they are use to.
This isn't going to help with volume control. That comes from audio "punch through" on the remote itself.

I think we're trying to control power on two separate devices (the TV *AND* the sound bar) here and that's going to require some button pressing.

HDMI CEC may be the answer to controlling the TV (and/or the sound bar) power but I'm not quite sure how it would work.

In the grand scheme, since toggling the TV or sound bar power surely doesn't happen that often so falling back to a different remote for that situation might not be all that insufferable.

Sound bars have always been a pain and the pain it getting more intense as the TVs you would want to use them with are offering no output options.

If the TV has no outputs, the sound bar is always going to have to be in the HDMI chain. This is problematic all the way around and gets moreso as you have more source devices to feed through the sound bar. Figuring out Audio Return Channel (often not supported on cheap TVs) is a nightmare on its own.

It doesn't take long before you need a switch to make sure all the sources go through the sound bar and at that point, you're probably better off with a modest AVR and speakers (or a flexible Home Theater speaker system) rather than a single source sound bar.

Go.into.the menu of the Hopper.

Sellect the settings icon.

Select the remote icon.

Then scroll to bottom of screen where it says volume (in the remote screen).

Select aux instead of TV.

Select save.

Go back to TV like usual.

Now while in normal operation.mode the volume will control the Soundboard and TV power will control the TV power.

Enjoy.

(I did this all from.memory so if I missed an order of a step or two I am sorry, but I'm sure even with my slight error you can figure it all out.
Thank you for this! This was my biggest annoyance with a 722k, that I had to press Aux just to control my Home Theater volume when the TV volume is not used at all. I asked the installer that upgraded me to Hopper if it was possible to program the Home Theater to the volume buttons and was told no so never dug around the settings myself. Moral of the story, come to SatelliteGuys instead of trusting the installer at their word.

Thank you for this! This was my biggest annoyance with a 722k, that I had to press Aux just to control my Home Theater volume when the TV volume is not used at all. I asked the installer that upgraded me to Hopper if it was possible to program the Home Theater to the volume buttons and was told no so never dug around the settings myself. Moral of the story, come to SatelliteGuys instead of trusting the installer at their word.
Your welcome.

And actually there is a way to set the 722k remote to default volume to aux also, I just don't remember. (Been over a year since I have worked at dish).

And when it comes to installers knowledge, not all installers take their own time to learn the things that aren't taught in training.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I have a family member who has DISH network and I am trying to help them with a situation. They have a Hopper in their main living room. It is then connected to a 46" Samsung HDTV. This HDTV is a real basic model and has absolutely no audio outputs on its rear panel. No analog, no optical, etc. NOTHING. Just two HDMI inputs & a component/composite input.

Now, they haven't been real happy with the sound coming from the Samsung TV and wanted to upgrade this so we got a Samsung sound bar from Best Buy. Since the HDTV has no audio outputs, we are forced to connect the DISH Hopper receiver directly to the sound bar's audio input jack.

However, is there any way to program the Hopper's remote so it can seamlessly control the Samsung sound bar for audio, but still power off the Samsung TV in the usual way (the TV power button on remote). The sound bar came with its own remote for its audio control as well as additional features, but they don't want to have to use this remote at all and only use the Hopper remote. Right now, the Hopper remote is controlling the HDTV's sound, but we want it to control the soundbar sound instead and also accomplish this without having to switch inputs on the Hopper remote too.

Is this doable? I was thinking maybe the AUX input could be programmed for the sound bar, but when we press it, a big notice comes up on the screen (and stays there) basically telling us the AUX device has been selected. They do NOT want to use a universal remote either so it has to be done seemingly and with little effort with the Hopper remote or the Samsung sound bar goes back to the store.

Try this:
Go to: Menu > Settings > Remote Manager > Aux Code > Audio Accessory > choose lookup code > Samsung (or your brand soundbar).
Should find correct one on first try. Test out with - + volume keys. If it works for you, then
Go back to remote manager & choose volume to set control volume for aux.
Your Dish remote should now work with your Samsung (or your brand) sound bar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)