TV 2 Out Question

DP1962

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 19, 2005
My boss just came to me with a question about his TV 2 feed and since I'm at work with no access to a 622/722 manual I thought I'd see if I can get a quick answer here.

He has a newer HD dual tuner receiver (guessing 622) and feeds a TV in his kitchen via TV 2 out with coax. He just bought a new TV for the kitchen and can't get a signal. My assumption is he bought a TV without an analog tuner (he said he had to have the old TV on channel 60) and the new TV has no way to process the signal being sent over the coax as analog channel 60. My question is, assuming this is correct can the Dish receiver be set to send anything compatable over coax or will he have to try and run say an s-video feed to the kitchen TV?

(PS, I've asked him to bring me the manual for the new TV, to check that he's not missing something in the setup there.)

It is possible your boss has the tv set to a different source that what his 622 is set ot output. They have to match.

He said in the TV set up he tried the satellite icon and got nothing, he also tried a channel scan and got a no signal/ poor signal strength message.

Tough to diagnose without looking at the manuals, just thinking maybe someone has went through the same scenario and has the answer.

With few exceptions, new tv's come out of the box set for cable channels. Either change the modulater output in the receiver to cable chs starting with 73 OR set the tuner for AIR/Antenna on the tv.

Intriguing! I think the OP hit the nail on the head. I have had a 622 for 2+ years and never took note of this, but I believe the "Agile" TV2 RF output is NTSC only. I have pdf versions of the 622 User's Guide and brochures (can be D/L'd from the DishNet site) and searched everywhere, and I can't get a definitive answer. I'm using that output in the "Air Mode" and never gave it any thought, but that's to an older NTSC-only TV in my case and it works as planned. Am I wrong about analog out only for the 622? If so, is the 722 different in this regard, i.e., has an ATSC capability?

To the OP: Your boss might want to try the "Cable Mode", select new channel numbers, and rescan the TV. Maybe that will make a difference. Failing that, there are other options using the composite outputs and one possibility could be to use a wireless transmitter/receiver. (I have more information on that if you're interested.)

Good luck with it and please report back how the problem was solved...!

(I have the 622 UM in 15 separate pdf files, as provided by Dish. The part you want is in Chapter 12, beginning on page 101, but it does not answer the question.)

need to know what channel old tv was set to - or better yet look at tv 1 - press menu , 6,1,5. that will take you to the modulator screen which will tell you what channel tv2 is set to and what setting (air or cable). You can also change it on this screen. Make sure his new tv is set to whatever setting tv2 output is on and bam! tv

Thanks for the responses, sounds like he'll have to change the 622 setting and let the TV's cable tuner do the job, makes sense. I'll bet this is going to catch a lot of people who buy new TV's going forward.

Guessing he'll have me make the change as he's easily frustrated by electronics so I'll be able to let you know how it works out. I've never used coax for TV 2 out on my 522 or now my 722, so I'd never looked into changing these settings.