Ultra HD Blu-ray Spec Completed

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) has agreed a batch of standards for ‘next generation’ Ultra-HD Blu-ray discs. The news, reported by trade magazineLarge Display Monitor, says that the BDA will support three High Dynamic Range (HDR) technologies, including Dolby Vision, and the HDR on offer from Philips and a joint-suggestion from Technicolor that’s part of the MPEG/SMPTE proposals.

Source & More: advancedtelevision.com

I am glad that there is no Format War this time around. The adoption should be quick!

A lot of things will be implemented in stages........which will drag things out.

I am sure some features will be missing initially, but with the standards being finalized, at least the road is now clear. And even though there is no competing disk format, there is a huge competitive pressure coming from Netflix and such. So, if the BDA members want this new format to succeed they have to move fast and they have to do it right from the start, or they may not be given another chance. This very well might be the last physical media for movies ever...

Reactions: navychop
Ultra HD Blu-ray Spec Completed, Consumer Products Expected Later This Year
The Blu-ray Disc Association has completed an Ultra HD Blu-ray technical specification that will lead to the release of players and discs that support the new format. Manufacturers will be able to license Ultra HD Blu-Ray beginning in July and, presumably, consumer products will begin to roll out later in the year.
The format supports Ultra HD 4K TV resolution (3840x2160), as well as enables high dynamic range (HDR), high frame rates and object-based immersive sound. HDR—a wider range between the whitest whites and blackest blacks—could either be delivered using the BDA-developed “BD HDR” portion of the new spec or by using certain supported HDR formats such as Dolby Vision.

hollwoodreporter.com

Press Release

LOS ANGELES--The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) today announced completion of the Ultra HD Blu-ray specification and released the new logo that will delineate Ultra HD Blu-ray products. The Ultra HD Blu-ray specification, which represents the work of global leaders from the consumer electronics, IT and content creation industries, will enable delivery of Ultra HD content via Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc to the rapidly growing number of UHD TV households.
“The technical capabilities of Blu-ray Disc, in particular its significant storage capacity and high data transfer rates, will enable the delivery of an unparalleled, consistent and repeatable UHD experience.”
“For years, Blu-ray Dischas set the standard for high definition picture and audio quality in the home. Ultra HD Blu-ray will do the same for UHD home entertainment," said Victor Matsuda, chair, BDA Promotions Committee. “The technical capabilities of Blu-ray Disc, in particular its significant storage capacity and high data transfer rates, will enable the delivery of an unparalleled, consistent and repeatable UHD experience."
The completed Ultra HD Blu-ray specification addresses a range of factors, beyond simply increasing resolution, that will significantly enhance the home entertainment experience for consumers. In addition to delivering content in up-to 3840x2160 resolution, the Ultra HD Blu-ray format enables delivery of a significantly expanded color range and allows for the delivery of high dynamic range (HDR) and high frame rate content. Next-generation immersive, object-based sound formats will also be delivered via the Ultra HD Blu-ray specification. Additionally, with the optional digital bridge feature, the specification enhances the value of content ownership by embracing the notion that a content purchase can enable the consumer to view their content across the range of in-home and mobile devices.
The specification also mandates all new Ultra HD Blu-ray players be capable of playing back current Blu-ray Discs, giving consumers access to the vast library of more than 10,000 titles currently available on Blu-ray Disc.
Licensing of Ultra HD Blu-ray is scheduled to begin this Summer. The BDA is working closely with industry leaders in the authoring, testing, certification and replication industries to develop the tools and process needed to ensure interoperability between players and software and to facilitate the development of a robust ecosystem to support the hardware and title launch of Ultra HD Blu-ray.
About Blu-ray
Blu-ray Disc™ and Ultra HD Blu-ray are trademarks owned by the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) and licensed for use on discs, players and other products that use BDA’s optical disc format for high definition and UHD audio-video and high capacity data software applications. Single layer Blu-ray Disc can hold up to 25GB of data and dual-layer discs up to 50GB of data. New ULTRA HD Blu-ray discs hold up to 66GB and 100GB of data on dual and triple layer discs respectively.
About the Blu-ray Disc Association
The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) is responsible for promoting and developing business opportunities for Blu-ray Disc™ - the BDA’s optical disc format for high definition audio-video and high capacity data software applications. The BDA has approximately 100 member companies. Its Board of Directors consists of individuals affiliated with the following member companies: Dolby Laboratories Inc., DTS Inc., Hitachi, Ltd., Intel Corporation, Koninklijke Philips N.V., LG Electronics Inc., Microsoft Corporation, Mitsubishi Electric Corporation, Oracle Corporation, Panasonic Corporation, Pioneer Corporation, Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., Sharp Corporation, Sony Corporation, Technicolor, Toshiba Corporation, Twentieth Century Fox, Universal Studios , The Walt Disney Studios, and Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.

Yea but I am and am not looking forward to the upgrade to get Atmos and I am not sure how to do placement with above ceiling speakers. Basically, to upgrade I am seeing $$$ fly out of my pocket and lots of cash. Once its all done then it will be nice.

Reactions: dfergie
Here is the logo:

UHD_BD_Logo.jpg

I'll wait a couple of years.

R2020?

100GB is actually a but disappointing, as that was demo'd years ago.

Budgeting. This will require an upgrade on everything. I Have been burned so many times on first gen hardware that I will wait a year for prices to come down and the mistakes to be corrected.

It will still be a $10k upgrade :(

Reactions: navychop
I expect when I buy the player, I'll already have the TV. Probably at least two years off, as I review things. Then I can feed the audio to my current receiver, and video direct to TV. That'll keep me for a while, before committing to a new AVR.

But with 4K they could finally display full resolution 3D.

Some movies on Bluray were AMAZING in 3D, imagine how much better they would have been if they were full resolution!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts