Under the Dome

Although I am not head-over-heels about this series, it's not bad and I do like how CBS is expanding their summertime programming. On one hand, I enjoy some of the 12-13 episode scripted dramas like Major Crimes, Franklin & Bash and perhaps even Unforgettable seeing that CBS brought it back. However, I would also love to see more summertime shows that are 13-episodes where everything is wrapped-up from start-to-finish, soup-to-nuts, one and done. I feel shows like Revolution and Under the Dome (SciFi) are perfect for this format.

Well after the last episode I think I've had enough.My suspension of disbelief has been stretched as far as it will go,and I flat just don't like anybody in this place.I no longer care where the dome came from or if or when or how it goes away.As I said in an earlier post,these people belong under a dome,an ever shrinking one.:D

The book is pretty good,

Until the ending... "reason for the dome" is explained................ I was "WTF"! I saw this on Twilight Zone, 15 times already.

OH wait a minute, Twilight Zone????? It isn't giant children from an alien world playing with the humans under glass is it? Saw that episode again the other day. OH please pm me with the book ending so I can know.

With the exception of MAYbe Smallville for short multi-episode arcs, all the other series you mentioned have self-contained stories within each episode and they never relied on a long-reaching story arc (though there may have been some secondary stories in an arc). Series like Under the Dome don't. The dome asks the questions "where did it come from and who did it?" None of the other series you mentioned have that as the core questions.

I am sort of disappointed that it was renewed. I am even MORE disappointed that it had the possibility of renewal to begin with! I would have hoped this was a limited run series like "The Stand" or other "mini-series".

What I want most is resolution at the end of the series. Series like Heroes, Falling Skies, Jericho, and other series that set off to answer one set of questions but are ether not popular enough to stay on the air to the end or so popular they drag out the story and forget about the original questions make me leary of this type of series. I thought "Under the Dome" was a limited run series, otherwise I wouldn't have started watching it.

I agree with your view here. I too thought it would be a limited self contained mini-series. The funny thing is that the new show Hostages coming this fall IS a 13 part mini series and will not continue past the limited run this fall. I read that today about the new series. Something CBS has never done. In England they run limited run series all the time. I wish that they would of done the same with the Under the DOME show.

One and done seasons are just not economically smart. Limited syndicattion. No deferment of initial costs...economies of scale. All eggs in VERY small basket.

Last edited:
One and done seasons are just not economically smart. Limited syndicattion. No deferment of initial costs...economies of scale. All eggs in VERY small basket.
Come on, quit talking logically! You're suggesting that the main premise is to make money, not good entertainment. :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

We need to tell this to Hollywood! I guess they don't realize how much more money they could make it their theatrical and cable movies were designed as never-ending series rather than self-contained movies. Peter Jackson is a pioneer!

Actually, come to think about it, the most iconic and popular TV shows are limited run "mini-series". Most recently "The Hatfields & McCoys" three day event set a record for the most viewed cable TV show in history. That record was overshadowed quickly by one episode of Walking Dead, but the rerun on Hatfields and McCoys still had gigantic numbers while "Walking Dead" is a good description of their rerun viewership numbers.

Shogun, North and the South, Roots, Winds of War, Thornbirds all limited summer fare... all gigantic successes in their time. All incredibly cheesy when viewed today. :)

Hmmm, seems like Revolution is doing quite well after some thought it should be done with as well. Rating for it are very good now.
Revolution will be helped in the long run by the fact that's it's not limited to one area, and has no central mystery anymore to deal with. Under the Dome really has no long term path to proceed on.

Revolution will be helped in the long run by the fact that's it's not limited to one area, and has no central mystery anymore to deal with. Under the Dome really has no long term path to proceed on.

We don't know that for sure. Everyone's been assuming because there's a second season now, that we won't learn the mystery about the dome or have some kind of resolution by the end of this season. A lot could happen, a la Revolution, where one major question gets resolved, but a whole new set of issues or mysteries are presented at the end of this season's final episode that takes the story in a whole new direction that has nothing to do with the book. Perhaps season 2 will be a sequel of sorts. I'm not saying it will, and sure they could just stretch out the Chester Mills drama mill, but let's see. I am starting to like this show more now on the heels of some other summer disappointments.

If they keep it on Monday night, their main competition will be Revolution, which will be at the same time.

But how to keep this series going. What if one morning, the barrier is gone. The townspeople rejoice. Until it is discovered that overnight the dome doubled its radius and a lot MORE people are trapped...

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys App

Huh? Revolution is moving to Wednesdays next year. This series will not air during the regular season. No competition with Revolution.

S~

We need to tell this to Hollywood! I guess they don't realize how much more money they could make it their theatrical and cable movies were designed as never-ending series rather than self-contained movies. Peter Jackson is a pioneer!

Many of the Theatrical Movies ARE Never ending series ....

Star Wars comes to mind, Harry Potter ect ect ect ....

We don't know that for sure. Everyone's been assuming because there's a second season now, that we won't learn the mystery about the dome or have some kind of resolution by the end of this season. A lot could happen, a la Revolution, where one major question gets resolved, but a whole new set of issues or mysteries are presented at the end of this season's final episode that takes the story in a whole new direction that has nothing to do with the book. Perhaps season 2 will be a sequel of sorts. I'm not saying it will, and sure they could just stretch out the Chester Mills drama mill, but let's see. I am starting to like this show more now on the heels of some other summer disappointments.

I like your thinking !

The difference is the movies, for the most part have a self-contained story. It may be part of a series, but each movie is its own story. Or, there is a predetermined story arc for a couple or maybe three movies. There may be more movies with the same characters that may draw on earlier work, but all are self-contained, or limited stories. See the difference?

Having a network series with a self-contained story arc with in a few shows or perhaps a short series is the trick here. You can use the same characters and sets and series title for the next season, but it would have a different story.

I know I am old fashioned here, but when I watch a program I wast a beginning, middle and end. If one of those components is missing then you really have no story.

Classic example to me.Star Trek TNG.As a series it had a very good beginning,pretty good middle,very good end.

Exactly right. Each and every episode had it's own story with the exception of 4 or 5 two-part episodes. However, through the entire series there was overall character development and long-running secondary story arcs. Those who had never seen the show before and came in during season 4 would not have been completely lost. They may miss a joke or two referencing earlier episodes or even TOS, but overall, each episode is independent.

Another example is Enterprise ("Star Trek: Enterprise" after season 1) during the TERRIBLE season 3 and FANTASTIC season 4. Season 3 has one (really bad) story running through the season. Most episodes were still self-contained, but you really needed to watch from the beginning of the season to really understand what was going on. During season 4 you had two and three episode-long stories. Mini-movies within the series. Each set of episodes were self-contained. I swear if they would have had season 4 as season 1 and beheaded the exec when he green-lighted season three's story arc, new episodes of Star Trek would still be on broadcast TV today. But I digress.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts