Upgrading from DP301 to VIP222K on a Dish 500/Legacy Twin LNB

claymore

Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Alaska
Current connection configuration:

Dish 500 /w a Legacy Twin LNB.
One coaxial cable ran from one of the ports on the LNB into the house connected to my DP301.

My question:

Is there any way to get the VIP222K to work on my Legacy Twin LNB?

From what i have researced on the internet these are my options and just want to confim them.

Buy a Dish Pro Twin LNB and run a wire from each of the ports into my house and connect one to SAT1 input and the other into SAT2 input.

Buy a Dish Pro Plus LNB run a wire from one of the ports into a DPP33 switch then from the switch into the house and then add the Triplexer that came /w the receiver (175284) and connect to SAT1 and SAT2.

Any help in this problem would be much appricated.

you can use the existing dish but you will need both lines from the LNB to the 222

also you wont get HD with a D500 but I'm sure you already knew that

Buy a Dish Pro Twin LNB and run a wire from each of the ports into my house and connect one to SAT1 input and the other into SAT2 input.
you can do the same thing with your Legacy Twin ;)

Buy a Dish Pro Plus LNB run a wire from one of the ports into a DPP33 switch then from the switch into the house and then add the Triplexer that came /w the receiver (175284) and connect to SAT1 and SAT2.
wont need the DPP33...just one cable from the DPP LNB to the Triplexer

Thank you for the reply Iceberg.

I have already tried to connect both of the ports from the Legacy Twin LNB to the VIP222K and it doest work it hangs on step 3 getting software from satellite and after it hangs for awhile another screen comes up make sure i have it connected. I will supply some pictures.

Also i tested the coaxial cables to make sure i have a good connection by pluging them into my DP301 one at a time making sure signal is there.

photo1.JPGphoto2.JPG

I would also like to note that i am using RG6 Cable.

Also the smart card isn't in the VIP222K reciever when it is trying to download software, and i get a error message when i put my smartcard from my DP301 into the VIP222K attached is a picture of the message. I blocked out the reciever number and smart card number.

photo3.JPG

I assume this error message is just because i haven't registered the VIP222K to my account thru Dish, and really don't want to until i get the connection issue figured out.

If you don't want HD why have a 222 get a 322 and a dpp twin so all you need is one line but if you want to do it proper to dish specs you need dual line with messager going from dish to groundblock with the dish grounded and the groundblock grounded from there go to your reciever with 1 line I know contractors don't like doing this but that's the proper way and a way not to fail qwas orange cable if going under ground if you have los for 129 there you go that's your HD or eastern arc

Thank you for the reply tyco2291.

Yes it seems the 322 would of worked for what i wanted. I really don't care about the HDTV.

The fact remains that they sold my wife the 222 and that is what i have to work with. Thank you for your input though.

If anyone knows what is wrong with my setup please post.

If what Iceberg says is correct why won't the 222 complete the setup wizard with how i have it hooked up.

Setup:
Dish 500
Legacy Twin LNB
RG6 running from both ports on the LNB to SAT1 & SAT2 inputs on the reciever <100' of RG6 on both runs.
I get signals from both runs of RG6 tested through my DP301.
When hooked up to the 222 reciever it hangs on task 3 of 7(getting software from satellite) and will eventually display an error telling me to make sure the connections are connected correctly.

I have already tried to connect both of the ports from the Legacy Twin LNB to the VIP222K and it doest work it hangs on step 3 getting software from satellite and after it hangs for awhile another screen comes up make sure i have it connected. I will supply some pictures.

it shouldn't. If you are working with Legacy or DishPro a dual tuner requires 2 lines from the LNB. I've hooked up dual tuner units with a Legacy Twin with no issues

Let me ask you this could the signal be to low for the 222 to recieve it.

In other words does the DP301 require less of a signal then the 222?

I only bring this up because like i said both RG6 runs through my DP301 work fine, but when i hook it up to the 222 i get that connection error.

Maybe there's something wrong with the legacy LNBs or the dish is not properly aimed. Also check all cabling.

1.) Check cabling, if OK then

2.) Check dish alignment, if OK then

3.) Just buy a DPP Twin, only needs 1 cable and be done with it.

I noticed your location says Alaska. Are you in Alaska and if so what size dish are you using?

I thought Alaska required separate dishes for 119 & 110 and a Twin couldnt be used?
(that might also answer why he is upgrading to a 222 since most HD for AK is on 119 & 110) ;)

Thanks for the replys guys.

I feel kinda stupid. I called my LNB a twin in my first post, but sadley i was mistaken.

What i have is a dual LNBF - which is just a single eye with 2 ports on it. Which i found is really old LOL.

The twin which is what Iceberg said would work has 2 eyes on it and has 1 port for each eye.

Sorry to have wasted your time. I did learn something though. Thanks again.

I would also like to note that i am using RG6 Cable.

Also the smart card isn't in the VIP222K reciever when it is trying to download software, and i get a error message when i put my smartcard from my DP301 into the VIP222K attached is a picture of the message. I blocked out the reciever number and smart card number.

View attachment 81195

I assume this error message is just because i haven't registered the VIP222K to my account thru Dish, and really don't want to until i get the connection issue figured out.

New receivers start off with the smart card built in and the slot is for when added security measures are needed, also the physical cards are married to a receiver and cannot be moved to another one, that is why the error message.

I was gonna mention that if it was a legacy twin you would have had a 21 switch in the system somewhere. Seems like you figured out what you need. Easiest way would be a dpp twin and just use that same line down to the triplexer on the receiver. Make sure you DON'T try and re-use the old smartcard as it will not work.

Now, if you need separate dishes for 110/119 as was mentioned above, that's a whole different ballgame.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)