Upgrading to Hopper-prewiring in preparation for installation?

Badfish740

Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
Northeast
I've had Dish Network for about four years. We opted for it when we moved into our new home because it was bundled with the local voice/data provider's services. I was unprepared for the install the first time because I had never had a satellite system before and didn't realize that it wasn't as simple as running one line to each box. In addition I had ripped all of the existing coaxial cable out of the house because all of it looked as old (house was built in 1968) as the house itself. The fact that I hadn't run my own wiring already meant that the tech had to run lines down the side of the house, drill holes in the walls, etc... My goal is to bring the lines into the attic near the satellite dish and then distribute them from there, fishing them down through the walls. I just need a good understanding of what needs to go where. I found the diagram detailing installation training for Dish techs learning to install the Hopper/Joey system:

Whoops, can't post links yet-in any event the diagram shows one line going directly from the node to the Hopper and one line going to a splitter and then on to two Joeys-my question (see below) is whether or not I should install the splitter inline with a terminator on one of the outputs (I'll only be using one Joey), or just run a single line to the Joey?

Is this the most straightforward way to install the system? One question I have is for right now I am only going to be getting the Hopper and one Joey as we only have two TVs. I was thinking of running the line from the node into the attic to a splitter, running one line off of the splitter to the Joey, and then placing a terminator on the other outlet of the splitter for now. That way it's already there and when I get another TV/another Joey I'll just remove the terminator and run the line. Is there any reason NOT to do it that way, ie: should I just run a single line to the Joey and not use the splitter at all? Then of course I'll run the other line to the Hopper as shown on the diagram along with ethernet. This will be easy since the Hopper will be in the basement in very close proximity to the router. Finally, what about the coaxial cable itself? Obviously I'll be doing all of the cable runs/fishing myself, so I was just going to buy bulk cable, run it, cut to length, and leave the bare ends for when the technician comes. I'd rather leave it to them to do to make sure that the crimps are done correctly, plus that means I don't have to spend another $50 on a crimping tool. I found a 250' spool of RG6 at Lowes for about $40. Any reason not to buy coax from a big box retailer? What specs should I look for on the cable, or is the fact that its stamped RG6 enough? I figure buying in bulk like this should cover me for now and for any future TVs I add. I know these are real noob questions, but I just want to make sure that I'm totally prepared when the installer arrives.

The end result with in-wall wiring will be worth the effort, but be prepared to some wall-busting when you run in to the fire-blocks inside the walls, viz. the 2" x 4" cross-members between the wall studs; and, the double-thickness "plate" at the top of the wall. I ran my cables through two stories, across an attic, and back down two stories. Get a good, extra long 3/4" spade bit for your power drill:)

Buying a spool of rg6 from a big box retailer is ok. Only problem is it may not be on the approved parts list for Dish installers. I myself would do your install and run with it but there may be a chance the installing tech may request to rerun approved wiring. Hopefully a current tech can weigh in on this more. As for buying a compression tool with fittings, again, chances are they wont be approved per Dish approved parts list and will be cut off and replaced anyway. I'm all for running 2 lines per outlet when you're doing your own install and have plenty of cable. I have 2 cable outlets in every room of my home but I also have satellite and cable run to every tv too. All in all, I think the tech who shows up will be pretty happy lines have been run and all he has to do is install fittings and a wall plate then map out lines.

Buying a spool of rg6 from a big box retailer is ok. Only problem is it may not be on the approved parts list for Dish installers. I myself would do your install and run with it but there may be a chance the installing tech may request to rerun approved wiring. Hopefully a current tech can weigh in on this more.

Thanks for the info-I hope a current tech can weigh in as well. The last guy who came out when I got Dish four years ago was not that great. I told him what I wanted done (and was ready willing and able to help) and he flat out told me that as an installer he was not qualified to fish cable through walls and could only run wire on the outside of the walls using screw in cable clips, etc... We did our best to hide it with furniture and other things, but it looks horrible, and there's no hiding what is on the outside of the house. That's what gave me the idea to run it all myself and just have them handle the connections and setting up the boxes. Now I'm nervous that I could end up doing all this work for nothing.

All in all, I think the tech who shows up will be pretty happy lines have been run and all he has to do is install fittings and a wall plate then map out lines.

I hope this is the case. Would there be any way to find out what is on the approved parts list and try to source the cable that way?

Any Rg6 3ghz rated cable to your Hopper location will do. Vextra is the brand name we install hereon the west coast but it really doesn't matter the brand as long as its ratedfor 3GHz. Putting a splitter in when only one Joey isn't really necessarry, you could always do that when a second Joey is installed. Plus 2 cables from the dish to your junction is a must, but a 3rd wouldnt hurt as making it easier for a second Hopper to be installed at a later date, if you choose to.

I wouldn't even bother putting fittings on the cable as the tech will most likely just cut them off to install thief.own approved ones.

But if your running all the cables and.fishing them your self that's awesome. I'd love that if all my jobs were that simple.

And yes, I am currently an installer, FSS 4 to be exact.

I ran my cabling even installed hdmi over ethernet adapters. All the installer did was clip the caps cuz he didnt like them and to be honest his were of a much higher quality. It did save him a lot of time though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts