Video Game Deals

Final Fantasy XV is on sale for $35 on Amazon. Prime Members only.

You can also get the complete season of the new Hitman game for $15. That's 75% off regular price. PC Version.

http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/hitman-full-experience/123742

I can easily recommend Hitman at that price. I finished the campaign about a week ago but that really isn't what the game is even about. It's a pretty amazing sandbox with tons of ways to complete each mission. I've successfully completed two of the elusive targets and the Home Alone themed Christmas bonus episode they put out last week. I'm having a good time going back to missions I have already beaten with new unlocks too. I'm constantly seeing things I haven't seen before even if I'm doing an elusive target on a map I've already seen or replaying a mission in a different way. I'm definitely looking forward to season 2.

https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/buy/#overwatch-edition

The standard edition (not Origins Edition) of Overwatch is on sale for $29.99. This deal is only for PC since the console don't even have a standard edition.

If you don't care about the exclusive origins skins or the items for other Blizzard games that come in the Origins Edition this is a pretty good deal. They also have the Origins Edition on sale for $40 but considering that they sold it for $35 a couple weeks ago it's probably worth waiting for a better price on that version.

https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/buy/#overwatch-edition

The standard edition (not Origins Edition) of Overwatch is on sale for $29.99. This deal is only for PC since the console don't even have a standard edition.

If you don't care about the exclusive origins skins or the items for other Blizzard games that come in the Origins Edition this is a pretty good deal. They also have the Origins Edition on sale for $40 but considering that they sold it for $35 a couple weeks ago it's probably worth waiting for a better price on that version.
I've always found it a bit of a slap to the face of console owners that they HAVE to pay an MSRP of $60. Why couldn't they get a $40 version also? They could have easily made it a digital only purchase. It's more insulting that Console owners are basically paying for extras that 95% of them can't even use. I mean, how many PS4/Xbox One owners also play D3, Starcraft 2, or Heroes of the Storm? If you play those games, then odds are you are going to get the PC Version. At least there's some sort of added value in the Origins Version for PC Gamers. Not quite the same for console users.

I've always found it a bit of a slap to the face of console owners that they HAVE to pay an MSRP of $60. Why couldn't they get a $40 version also? They could have easily made it a digital only purchase. It's more insulting that Console owners are basically paying for extras that 95% of them can't even use. I mean, how many PS4/Xbox One owners also play D3, Starcraft 2, or Heroes of the Storm? If you play those games, then odds are you are going to get the PC Version. At least there's some sort of added value in the Origins Version for PC Gamers. Not quite the same for console users.

Agreed. The reason I bought the Origins Edition was because it came with an unlock code for Tracer in Heroes of the Storm. If it would have just been the Origins Edition skins I would have bought the $40 version instead. Amazon also helped seal the deal for me since they had a pre-order deal on the Origins Edition for $36 for Prime Members.

Minecraft for Windows 10 has finally come out of Beta, and to commemorate the occasion you can get Minecraft for Windows 10 for $10. This is a limited time deal.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/minecraft-windows-10-edition-beta/9nblggh2jhxj

Maybe I will finally buy Minecraft and play it for the first time after hearing about it for so many years. The Windows 10 version is compatible with the Oculus Rift so that might be interesting.

Agreed. The reason I bought the Origins Edition was because it came with an unlock code for Tracer in Heroes of the Storm. If it would have just been the Origins Edition skins I would have bought the $40 version instead. Amazon also helped seal the deal for me since they had a pre-order deal on the Origins Edition for $36 for Prime Members.
And the only reason I got the Origins edition was because it's the only retail version you can get, and I got that for $18 via Gamestop thanks to Trade in Deals. One of the few times I actually "flipped" a game by buying it from GameFly and selling it to Gamestop.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided is $19.99 on Steam. I'm sure it will probably be the exact same price when the Winter Sale starts on Thursday but I'm going to wait just to be safe.

Playstation people are. PSN has it on sale this week for $39.59.
Yes but that's because the game is on sale. My point is that console gamers are being charged $20 extra for a version that comes with extras that 95% of the user base can't even use, and that a $40 standard Digital Only release would have been a better alternative, but apparently Activision are just too money hungry to understand this concept of not ripping off customers.

Speaking of Activision and not ripping off customers, turns out you can get both Overwatch and Infinite Warfare for $60 at Gamestop, meaning basically 2 games for the price of one.

http://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

Yes but that's because the game is on sale. My point is that console gamers are being charged $20 extra for a version that comes with extras that 95% of the user base can't even use, and that a $40 standard Digital Only release would have been a better alternative, but apparently Activision are just too money hungry to understand this concept of not ripping off customers.
Don't forget, the console makers charge a fee (per copy) to manufacturers for the "privilege" of being released on their console. That's why the same console game has historically been more expensive than the PC release (where there is no such fee). And is how they make their money, as the console itself is not the revenue generator.

Blame Nintendo, as they started it with the lockout chip on the NES, and forcing game publishers to release games through them in order to be on the platform.

Don't forget, the console makers charge a fee (per copy) to manufacturers for the "privilege" of being released on their console. That's why the same console game has historically been more expensive than the PC release (where there is no such fee). And is how they make their money, as the console itself is not the revenue generator.
Yes but that fee is quite small, which is why there's so many indie/small studio games in the digital market. And nowadays most AAA PC and Console games are generally the same price. And it's not like sub $60 games are a new thing. It just comes across as rather hypocritical.

Blame Nintendo, as they started it with the lockout chip on the NES, and forcing game publishers to release games through them in order to be on the platform.
That was more of a response to what happened to Atari and the gaming crash of 1983. Back in the day, ANYONE could make an Atari game and release it. Because of this, a LOT of broken, low quality games and shovelware was released. Nintendo didn't want that to happen again. It also wanted more control and to set some sort of standards as to what games would come out, so that they wouldn't have sexually based games coming out either, such as these (NSFW video)

And hell, back before Nintendo locked everything down there was stuff that would allow various consoles to play each others' games!

Yes but that fee is quite small, which is why there's so many indie/small studio games in the digital market. And nowadays most AAA PC and Console games are generally the same price. And it's not like sub $60 games are a new thing. It just comes across as rather hypocritical.

The cut actually isn't that small. I can't find the exact source but I remember hearing an interview with a developer where they said Microsoft and Sony take a 30% cut of the games they sell in their stores. According to Notch, the reason he didn't put Minecraft on Steam is because Valve takes a 30% cut too. That means if they sell their game on those platforms for $60 they actually get $42. If they sell it for $40 they get $28.

http://www.pcgamer.com/notch-on-why-minecraft-still-isnt-on-steam/

Multiplatform games that cost $60 on consoles used to cost $50 on PC since they didn't have to pay anyone a licensing fee. They are typically $60 on both now though. There is a good chance that the reason for that is because just about everything on PC is on Steam, Origin, or uPlay now and those storefronts are taking the same 30% that the consoles do.

I think in Overwatch's case Activision/Blizzard probably charged $60 because they knew they could get away with it. That is what people are used to paying. I'm not sure it has anything to do with Sony and Microsoft's cut but they are in a unique situation on PC where they use their own storefront so they don't have to give anyone 30%. Even on PC though, they did their best to make people buy the $60 Origins Edition. The main store page didn't even list the $40 version. You had to know it existed and dig a little deeper to find it. It kind of makes you wonder why they did a $40 version at all.

Edit: I also found this. According to Phil Fish, the developer of Fez, Steam and GOG take a 30% cut while Humble Bundle takes 5%.
http://www.pcgamer.com/steam-and-gog-take-30-revenue-cut-suggests-fez-creator-phil-fish/

The Steam Link is $19.99 on Amazon. If you have your gaming PC at a desk like I do you should get this thing. It gives you a console-like experience through Steam Big Picture in the living room by streaming from you gaming PC over your home network. Some games are just better on the couch with a controller on the big TV and surround sound system. Others are definitely better at a desk. This is a good way to get both and at that price it is a very good deal.

Origin also decided to go head to head against Steam by launching their winter sale today. Battlefield 1 is available for $35.99 and Titanfall 2 is $29.99.
https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/store/deals/holidaysale

The Steam sale is live. Like all of their previous holiday sales the website is down because of heavy load. You may want to just wait an hour or two before trying to mess with it. Even if you get in now there is a good chance you will be logged out or it will crash again before you are able to complete a transaction.