Video Game Deals

https://www.humblebundle.com/assassins-creed-bundle

This week's Humble Bundle is a bunch of Assassin's Creed games. I guess I'll finally have to give in to yourbeliefs and give the series another chance.
Hah... looks like it's your destiny to play these games.

It's a little bit of a d*ck move that they didn't include Revelations to conclude the Ezio Trilogy.

Another note is that Assassins Creed 3 is currently free on uPlay.

I may throw in a dollar to get the rest of the Chronicles games. I'm not paying $15 to get a PC version of Unity. I already have all these other games (sort of wish I had waited so I didn't have to spend $6 on AC 1 on GoG.)

Hah... looks like it's your destiny to play these games.

It's a little bit of a d*ck move that they didn't include Revelations to conclude the Ezio Trilogy.

Another note is that Assassins Creed 3 is currently free on uPlay.

I may throw in a dollar to get the rest of the Chronicles games. I'm not paying $15 to get a PC version of Unity. I already have all these other games (sort of wish I had waited so I didn't have to spend $6 on AC 1 on GoG.)

Yeah, I went with the "beat the average" tier and spent $5. That got me the two Chronicles games I didn't have, Liberation, AC 1, AC 2, and the DLC for AC 3. I already had Unity and AC 3 so I wasn't going to spend $15 for this bundle.

I'm still having a hard time deciding whether CDKeys is legit or not. This is from their FAQ.

https://support.cdkeys.com/hc/en-gb/articles/200890562-Frequently-Asked-Questions#6a

Why are your products so cheap? Our management team have over thirty years of combined experience within the industry with an extensive network of suppliers and contacts from which to source products. We buy from all corners of the globe to ensure the cheapest possible prices and as we only sell products in digital form we're able to make significant savings on postage and related expenses - we then pass these reductions on to you, which ensures our pricing is the most competitive around!

That sounds an awful lot like the reason G2A and Kingquin are so cheap. They are buying codes in regions like Russia where games sell for a fraction of the cost because the economy is so poor. They are then able to sell those codes they got dirt cheap in countries like the US where games are more expensive. Because they bought the keys for such little money they are able to make a profit in the US while still charging significantly less than every other retailer here.

That's why Mass Effect Andromeda is only $39.99 on CDKeys even though it doesn't come out for over 3 months. It's also the reason that they are saying you will get your key on March 23rd even though the game comes out on March 21st. They have to get their hands on keys to resell first.

The only reason I feel slightly better about CDKeys than G2A and Kinguin is because those other sites are similar to eBay in that individual users are able to buy keys in other countries and sell them on G2A. CDKeys is buying and selling the keys themselves. One of the big knocks against G2A is that people keep buying a ton of keys with stolen credit cards and selling the keys there. On several occasions these keys have been deactivated and people who bought them without knowing how they were sourced lose their money.

Because CDKeys is sourcing all the keys themselves it seems like the end users are much less likely to get screwed. The developer and publisher are still kind of getting screwed though. They didn't intend for Americans to be able to buy Russian keys. They are still getting some money so it's better than piracy but they are making significantly less than they do when you buy a game directly from Steam. CDKeys is making most of the money that would have otherwise gone to the publisher/developer.

Well what I've read from various buyers, they haven't had the same issues they've had with G2A. G2A users have had their keys revoked, to the point where G2A has added an "insurance" plan to make sure this does NOT happen to you. PewDiePie has come under a LOT of criticism from people like Total Biscuit for supporting G2A, and one developer has even said that he'd rather have people PIRATE his game instead of buying it through G2A.

So yes there may be a slight "grey" area with CDKeys, but hell, GMG seems to do something at least vaguely similar. At least the developers seem to be getting their money, and I haven't read anyone say to not buy from them, although it seems that CDKeys primarily deals with AAA releases. I threw about 10 Indie games at the search engine and only 1 (Rocket League) was found.

So while CDKeys probably won't become my "Go To" shop for buying digital games, it'll definitely be on my radar.

Well what I've read from various buyers, they haven't had the same issues they've had with G2A. G2A users have had their keys revoked, to the point where G2A has added an "insurance" plan to make sure this does NOT happen to you. PewDiePie has come under a LOT of criticism from people like Total Biscuit for supporting G2A, and one developer has even said that he'd rather have people PIRATE his game instead of buying it through G2A.

So yes there may be a slight "grey" area with CDKeys, but hell, GMG seems to do something at least vaguely similar. At least the developers seem to be getting their money, and I haven't read anyone say to not buy from them, although it seems that CDKeys primarily deals with AAA releases. I threw about 10 Indie games at the search engine and only 1 (Rocket League) was found.

So while CDKeys probably won't become my "Go To" shop for buying digital games, it'll definitely be on my radar.

Yeah, It's exactly what Reddit users were accusing GMG of doing a while back. GMG's response was that they are an authorized seller for most of their games and get their keys directly from the publisher. They did admit that they sometimes buy keys from other authorized sellers if a publisher won't sell a game directly trough their website. This is apparently what happened with The Witcher 3 controversy.

They did make some changes to their website after the whole Reddit mess. Now they list the key source on every game's store page. I just clicked a bunch of random games on the front page of their store and the vast majority of them have the publisher as the source of the keys. The only games I clicked on that listed "authorized distributor" as the source of the key were EA titles and Overwatch.

I would argue that they should stop selling the games where they had to go through another authorized distributor to get keys, especially after Reddit users went after them for doing it. You don't see Valve going out and finding authorized dealers to make EA games available for sale on Steam.

At least GMG makes it easy to see which games they are actually authorized to sell so you can avoid the ones that came from sources they shouldn't be using. As far as I can tell CDKeys isn't authorized to sell anything they have on their store though.

I'm not saying that you or anyone else shouldn't buy games from CDKeys just like I wouldn't tell people not to buy used games. As we both already pointed out users probably won't get their keys revoked if they buy them there like they might if they buy them from G2A simply because individual users can't sell keys there. It's also better than pirating or even buying a used copy of a game because at least the publisher/developer gets something out of the deal. It might be a much smaller amount that they get if you bought it from Amazon or Steam but it's certainly better than the $0 they get from piracy and used games.

I would consider buying from CDKeys depending on the game, who made it, and how good the deal was. If it only saves me a few dollars or the game comes from a developer I want to support so they can continue to make games I would rather pay a little extra and get it from an authorized seller like Steam, Origin, or Amazon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 6)