VIP222K Discontinued

Bob55

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 1, 2012
Ohio
Just noticed on some retailer sites that the Vip222k has been discontinued, but still some available.

Is it going to be replaced with another model?

From what I'm told there will be no replacement. Dish has decided to not offer dual location receivers like the 222 any more.

From what I'm told there will be no replacement. Dish has decided to not offer dual location receivers like the 222 any more.
I have my tv2 connected to a Magnavox DVR/DVD recorder. So it makes sense because Dish isn't receiving 2nd receiver or dvr fees.

As you probably know the 722K is still available and is the same dual location / dual tuner set-up but there is the $7 DVR fee.

I just push them a little bit and they credited the 7 bucks for 2 years :)
I got the same deal, but that was almost two years ago, so my credits will be expiring soon. I was hoping to be able to downgrade to a ViP222k when the DVR fee credits run out. (I will never pay a DVR fee if I can avoid it. I had too many years of using VCRs with no fees to ever think that it is worth paying a fee for the ability to record TV.) I like the MT2 module, so a ViP222k would have allowed me to continue using it. How soon will the ViP222k be completely discontinued?

there is no reason for it to be completely discontinued(treated as legacy equipment). Can almost guarantee it has many years left on t. It will be around just as long as All VIP receivers.. That said, dish does not sale or lease them, so you would have to get them third party.

there is no reason for it to be completely discontinued(treated as legacy equipment). Can almost guarantee it has many years left on t. It will be around just as long as All VIP receivers.. That said, dish does not sale or lease them, so you would have to get them third party.

If Dish doesn't sell or lease them, what option does the customer have for non DVR Duel-Tuner?

Ebay independent dealer or Craigs List would be your best sources. Your smartest would be two 211 single tuner receivers so you have HD at both locations.
While it costs a bit more, you could convert both to a single-tuner no-fee DVR -- something you can't do with a ViP222k

While it costs a bit more, you could convert both to a single-tuner no-fee DVR -- something you can't do with a ViP222k
That is true, but there is still the $7 per month additional receiver fee that way, so it is really no different from a dual-tuner DVR, fee-wise. The only advantages would be the ability to deactivate one of the ViP211's to save money and, as already mentioned, HD at both TVs.

Considering what Dish did to the 322 (converting it to a 311k) I wonder what Dish will do to all of the old ViP222's? Perhaps they will disable the TV2 outputs, add the ability to add a hard drive, and call it a ViP212 (or yet another letter variation of the ViP211)?

That is true, but there is still the $7 per month additional receiver fee that way, so it is really no different from a dual-tuner DVR, fee-wise. The only advantages would be the ability to deactivate one of the ViP211's to save money and, as already mentioned, HD at both TVs.

Considering what Dish did to the 322 (converting it to a 311k) I wonder what Dish will do to all of the old ViP222's? Perhaps they will disable the TV2 outputs, add the ability to add a hard drive, and call it a ViP212 (or yet another letter variation of the ViP211)?
Probably sell them off to 3rd party sources or just keep a small inventory for replacement purposes.

Probably sell them off to 3rd party sources or just keep a small inventory for replacement purposes.
Yeah, I figured something like that, but I like my idea better. A two satellite tuner and two OTA tuner DVR with no monthly fees (just a small fee up-front) would be ideal for me. Of course, they never added the ability to add a hard drive to a fully-functioning ViP222k, so it is probably pointless to hope that they would add that ability to a stripped-down version.

Reactions: TheKrell
That is true, but there is still the $7 per month additional receiver fee that way, so it is really no different from a dual-tuner DVR, fee-wise.
Apparently you didn't know that the ViP222 fetches double the monthly fee of the ViP211 ($14 vs $7). To get HD on both TVs and the possibility of DVR conversion is worth the additional power consumption.

The Duo DVR fee is $17 so there is a $3 difference and that still only brings HD to one TV.

Apparently you didn't know that the ViP222 fetches double the monthly fee of the ViP211 ($14 vs $7). To get HD on both TVs and the possibility of DVR conversion is worth the additional power consumption.

The Duo DVR fee is $17 so there is a $3 difference and that still only brings HD to one TV.
That is only if the receiver is not their primary. I have a feeling that this is the only receiver they have.

That is only if the receiver is not their primary. I have a feeling that this is the only receiver they have.
I wasn't looking at it that way. I expect that now that DIRECTV is charging for each and every box (including client capable TVs), DISH will soon fall in line.

I wasn't looking at it that way. I expect that now that DIRECTV is charging for each and every box (including client capable TVs), DISH will soon fall in line.
Chad, you are correct. I currently only have one ViP722k on my account and, as I posted earlier, the $7 per month DVR fee is temporarily being waived. My plan was to replace that receiver with a single receiver that still meets my needs with lower (hopefully $0) monthly fees. Neither the $17 or $14 fee would apply in this case.

Harshness, I hope you are wrong about Dish adding a fee for the primary receiver. I also have a Directv account, but I got grandfathered in for the primary receiver free. However, the way Directv bills the fee is a joke. There is one line item for the fee, followed by an offsetting credit. The credit does not cover the sales tax on the fee, so I am still indirectly paying a small monthly fee for the primary receiver, and my bill increased slightly following Directv's recent price increase on that fee, due to the sales tax. On the other hand, the DVR fee credits I am receiving from Dish work the same way: it is just a flat $7 credit with no credit for the sales tax, so I am also indirectly paying a small DVR fee each month in the form of sales tax. At least Dish hasn't increased the DVR fee recently. If a service such as a primary receiver fee or a DVR fee is supposed to be free, then it shouldn't even show up on the bill. Stop playing these games with charging a fee and offsetting it with a credit. Also, I wish both providers would stop playing games with all of the various fees and simply charge every subscriber (with the same level of service) the same monthly amount. Keep the billing simple, what a radical concept!

In defense, they do charge every customer with the same setup the same(except you are benefitting from the DVR service credit). Everyone can customize their account based on what programming they want, and what type of equipment. Thing I like about the Hopper system is the Joeys are all the same price... $7/Joey, and $12 per hopper. Makes it easy.
I don't see them charging a receiver fee for primary. They were very adamant about that being a savings early on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts