VIP222K Discontinued

In defense, they do charge every customer with the same setup the same(except you are benefitting from the DVR service credit). Everyone can customize their account based on what programming they want, and what type of equipment. Thing I like about the Hopper system is the Joeys are all the same price... $7/Joey, and $12 per hopper. Makes it easy.
I don't see them charging a receiver fee for primary. They were very adamant about that being a savings early on.
Once again, you are correct, Chad. That portion of my rant was more directed at Directv and how they keep changing the promotions for new customers but keep existing customers locked in to the old price scheme indefinitely. With Directv, I currently have a $10 per month Advanced Receiver HD fee. New subscribers no longer get charged that fee, but they do have the $6.50 primary receiver fee. I would actually save money under the new price structure, but Directv will not let me switch which fee gets waived. I apologize if my post was read as a harsh criticism of Dish, since Dish actually has been very fair to me, fee-wise. The DVR fee credits did disappear one time without warning, and I had to fight with Dish to get the credits restored for the remainder of the term that had been promised in writing. (They sent me a postcard stating how long the credits would be extended.) However, I have not had any problem with the credits since then.

Not really looking at it as a criticism of Dish. Was just pointing out some points that may get misconstrued elsewhere. That said, I honestly do not know how DTV gets away with charging a primary receiver fee. There was one of the companies(maybe Dish, maybe not) awhile back that got a class action lawsuit, and lost. The reason was they advertised a price per minth, but it was impossible to pay that minimum fee advertised because there was a primary receiver fee. There was no option to extinguish that fee, such as a solo non DVR receiver. No matter what they chose, they had to have at least one receiver and pay that fee. So I know shortly after that Dish said screw it and no longer charges that fee. If anyone had annual billing they may remember the $9 primary receiver fee, that got credited back automatically each month(if they checked their bills). Made complete sense. Unless there is service where a receiver is unneeded to decrypt the signal, then there should not be a primary receiver fee, as it is impossible to avoid.

There is one line item for the fee, followed by an offsetting credit. The credit does not cover the sales tax on the fee, so I am still indirectly paying a small monthly fee for the primary receiver, and my bill increased slightly following Directv's recent price increase on that fee, due to the sales tax.
This is how it works for pretty much everyone. The part that varies is that some jurisdictions taxed leased equipment at a different rate than owned equipment and for that, they have to break out the equipment fee.

Dish no longer wants the customer to have a non DVR dual tuner receiver. They want you to have a HD on all TVs or at least have a DVR.
This became obvious when they jacked the DVR Duo fee to $17, but until they charge for the first unit, it probably won't really impact most.

I can't imagine that they're pushing Hoppers for single TV installs and the ViP612 isn't really a desirable alternative to a ViP722.

I can't imagine that they're pushing Hoppers for single TV installs and the ViP612 isn't really a desirable alternative to a ViP722.

I have a 722 and two 612's, and you can have them when you pry them from my cold dead fingers!

Come sit with us... Would you like a drink? Orange, grape, wine, or beer? Let's discuss this set up.
Oh, I can provide the liquid refreshments. :D

In fact, as I take a certain member to be a vodka drinker, I've been working with our good Publican to come up with a nice, sweet refreshing beverage that is SOOOO tempting......

Reactions: ChadT41
Not really looking at it as a criticism of Dish. Was just pointing out some points that may get misconstrued elsewhere. That said, I honestly do not know how DTV gets away with charging a primary receiver fee. There was one of the companies(maybe Dish, maybe not) awhile back that got a class action lawsuit, and lost. The reason was they advertised a price per minth, but it was impossible to pay that minimum fee advertised because there was a primary receiver fee. There was no option to extinguish that fee, such as a solo non DVR receiver. No matter what they chose, they had to have at least one receiver and pay that fee. So I know shortly after that Dish said screw it and no longer charges that fee. If anyone had annual billing they may remember the $9 primary receiver fee, that got credited back automatically each month(if they checked their bills). Made complete sense. Unless there is service where a receiver is unneeded to decrypt the signal, then there should not be a primary receiver fee, as it is impossible to avoid.
Yeah, I thought about mentioning that $9 primary receiver fee. There used to be a message about it in the fine print on the Dish bill, under the Taxes and Fees section, explaining that the taxable $9 fee was included in the base package price. I always got a laugh out of that statement, since I had Locals Only for $9.99 per month at the time, so that would have made the entire locals package only $0.99 plus tax! The message about the taxable fee disappeared from the bill several years ago; I think it was around the time I got switched to Welcome Pack. I know that Dish no longer charges that fee, since in California the programming isn't taxable, only the fees are taxed. On my Directv bill, the tax for the primary receiver fee shows up on the bill, but there is no sales tax at all on my Dish bill. (I only have a ViP211k on my 2nd Dish account in California.)

I don't think dish will ever run out of 222's as long as customers are disconnecting :)
So why not continue making them available, in some form, to existing customers?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)