Visit by Dish Tect

Until I got upgraded to the Eastern Arc I had purchased and installed all of my Dish equipment. So the 1000.4 LNBf still belongs to Dish and the 1000.4 dish and mast belongs to me? I'll make a note of that.

With all the migration upgrades we've been doing, I always try to leave the old Dish 500 with the customer, telling them they can do whatever they want with it. If I took every one with me, I'd have 4-5 in the back of my truck by the end of the day. I do take empty receiver boxes if the customer doesn't want it, so I have something to put returns in, and if the customer owns their old 301 or whatever, I leave that with them too. Less paperwork is good.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

A couple of days ago Dish tect replaced my 301 receiver with a VIP211K and my dish 500 with a 1000.2. He insisted on taking the old dish saying he might need it on another job also the LNB which he said goes back to the shop.

Now inside when he finished hooking up the 211k he was taking the cardboard box along with the user manual which he never offered to me! I mentioned "I would like to have it" He says "You don't need it, everything is available on your tv!" I insisted that "I should have it in case the system is down, so I have some info to read on hand!" He finally let me have it before he left! Why is it called a User Manual if the user doesen't get to keep it?

Was this a normal visit by a tect? I've had my system since 2003 & have taken care of it myself all the time, by doing quite a bit of reading helpful info on the internet, like this place.
As a former tech, that sounds rather fishy....In fact, I insisted the opposite. I left the cardboard box, users guide and all the other crap behind. I had customers literally chase me down wanting me to take the refuse. I told them that the boxes and other stuff were "their property" and I had no right to remove them from the premises.

Sounds like you had in independent installer. He probably needed the box to send back the receiver to Dish or dispose of it. Also, a lot of the newer Dish receivers no longer come with a manual, but I an kind of surprised he didn't want to leave it. They can be downloaded from Dish's tech site. As far as the old Dish, you really don't own it (just like the old receiver) and it is possible the lnb may not be compatible with your new one so I don't see a reason to keep it unless you were going to try and sell them. The installer would probably be able to use it to replace a bad one for someone else (which they really don't get paid for). I understand why you may want to hold on to them, but I don't see as a big deal.
When I was a tech, we were required to return the LNB to Dish from any upgrades or failures. Except legacy LNB's...Dish did not want those back

With the current upgrades your installer contracted or not probably has access to many old dish 500s. If you were switched to Eastern Arc that probably means most customers being upgraded are moving away from dish 500s so they are of little value and I doubt DISH really wants them back. I expect it would cost more to return them than their salvage value.

Now I wouldn't be surprised to see the number of dish 500s on ebay and craig's list increase trying to tap into the number of uneducated people that don't read the forums and keep up with changing technology.

If you are really upset contact DIRT with information on your installer.
I always left the antenna. I did not want them. To me it was clutter.
"Aren't you going to take that with you( Antenna)?"...
No, it's your property....

Because if the tech took privately owned property claiming that he might use it on another install, he should certainly be held accountable.
Some customers actually went as far as to threaten a tech with bodily harm or threaten to call the police.
Some people are just nuts. They have absolutely no use for something, yet it's "theirs" and they will guard it like a Moray Eel keeps vigil over it's lair.

personally, I would just be glad that the tech didn't destroy something inside or outside my house & took all of the "junk" items & boxes. That would save me from having to throw them away
but......that is just me
I never took the boxes and other junk. I am not in charge of disposing of other people's garbage.
The contents and the cartons are the property of the customer. Period...

A dish 500 and its 2 satellite LNB are of no real value to you. Spacing may work OK, but not optimally, for 61.5 & 72.7. Designed for 110 & 119.

Be glad to be rid of them. I turned over my entire collection of old dishes, mounts, LNBs and tripod to a Dish Tech who really was less than thrilled to have them. Then, damned if I didn't find another mount. Keeping an eye out for a Dish installer in the neighborhood. When he comes out, he just might find a "gift."

Reactions: BBCInc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)