VOD question.

Symbol

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
Puerto Rico
I just rented my first VOD movie(probably my last), and the PQ is terrible while streaming. I let the download finish ASSUMING that the PQ would improve when it was saved to my hoppers hard drive but it still just sucks. Blurry SD HD is not HD... the movie is FF6. Any ideas?

Also I have 11mbps cable internet hard wired to the hopper.

What's going on here? I haven't paid for one yet, but the free stuff comes down to my receivers and plays with better PQ than the satellite. Even the SD is pretty darn good (for SD).

I have seen another post complaining about the same thing, but like TheKrell when I have downloaded the PQ has been very good.

Yeah, but that other case was about 1Mbps download. At the time I thought the receiver was going into adaptive streaming mode, and starving the movie for bits assuming the customer was trying to watch in real time. I have about 35Mbps download bandwidth most of the time, so I don't see the problem streaming. But I always select Watch Later anyhow, so I may not have noticed if Dish screwed up something recently.

I thought VOD was preloaded and PPV was streamed.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Symbol, which receivers are we talking about here? And what channel did you rent FF6 from? And what is this movie anyway? Fast and Furious? Final Fantasy?

Sorry for the long delay, Its from my HWS, Fast and the Furious 6. I purchased it using the VOD button on the remote(I selected HD $6.99). The movie was streaming at 6.9mbps (10mbps internet at home) and it looked horrible.

After a couple of hours I returned and noticed it was done downloading. I selected start over and the PQ was still bad.

VOD = preloaded (already saved on HD)
PPV = delivered via satellite, in real-time, just like normal programming
On-Demand = streamed via internet connection

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I do not have this problem on my 722 nor on my 612's. I think the other person complaining about this was also a Hopper owner. It's a little late to try this for this movie, but it would be interesting to know if you could hit the Watch Later button rather than Watch Now, and see if the result is any different. When my receivers temporarily (network issues, server issues) can't keep up, the video halts and it fills it's buffer again. Whatever the cause, I think Dish has a Hopper VOD bug and should refund your $6.99.

Ah... I think you could try my test above using a free download, and see if the adaptive streaming is at fault.

VOD = preloaded (already saved on HD)
PPV = delivered via satellite, in real-time, just like normal programming
On-Demand = streamed via internet connection

I think this Dish naming convention is confusing and hard to remember. Anything you pay for should be called PPV IMHO. I believe all VOD (by your above definition) is PPV. Plus I think Dish has referred to "On-Demand" as iPPV or iVOD (don't remember!), so Dish is muddying the waters further.

I do not have this problem on my 722 nor on my 612's. I think the other person complaining about this was also a Hopper owner. It's a little late to try this for this movie, but it would be interesting to know if you could hit the Watch Later button rather than Watch Now, and see if the result is any different.

I always use Watch Later because my internet service is awful, and the picture quality is always poor. It will range from barely-HD (during scenes with little movement) to worse than SD.

I do not have this problem on my 722 nor on my 612's. I think the other person complaining about this was also a Hopper owner. It's a little late to try this for this movie, but it would be interesting to know if you could hit the Watch Later button rather than Watch Now, and see if the result is any different. When my receivers temporarily (network issues, server issues) can't keep up, the video halts and it fills it's buffer again. Whatever the cause, I think Dish has a Hopper VOD bug and should refund your $6.99.

Ah... I think you could try my test above using a free download, and see if the adaptive streaming is at fault.

I called dish and they waived the fee. I will try with a free movie tonight when I get home.

I think this Dish naming convention is confusing and hard to remember.
I agree 100%. I've also stated multiple times that Dish's whole on-demand system is a clusterf*ck the way it's set up.

My explanation is only in reference to how Dish shows it to us. When I referred to "VOD", in the program guide, channels 1 and 501 are labeled "VOD". The OP referred to a "VOD" button on his remote. Not to nit-pick, but my remote doesn't have such a button. Maybe the Hopper w/Sling remote does.... My remote does have an "On Demand" button. Pushing that button takes you to content that is streamed via the internet.

I agree 100%. I've also stated multiple times that Dish's whole on-demand system is a clusterf*ck the way it's set up. My explanation is only in reference to how Dish shows it to us. When I referred to "VOD", in the program guide, channels 1 and 501 are labeled "VOD". The OP referred to a "VOD" button on his remote. Not to nit-pick, but my remote doesn't have such a button. Maybe the Hopper w/Sling remote does.... My remote does have an "On Demand" button. Pushing that button takes you to content that is streamed via the internet.

HWS remote has a "dish On Demand" button bottom right of remote. I see no "VOD" button.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)