Warner tells BD "NO" again

December 17th 2007

Both formats' movies have been selling at very close to the same rates in the last few weeks, with Bluray just holding onto the lead, but it's averaged about 60:40 for the last 2 or 3 months, with some weeks as close as 51:49. This week is predicted to be another close week, with the report due on Friday, December 21st.

The Year-to-date 3 months ago was 64:36. 2 months ago 64:36. Current Nielsen Videoscan is 65:35.

Please explain by what mathematical process you arrived it your conclusion that the ratio has closed to 60:40 in the past 2-3 months.

Post by Penton Man ( BD Insider that was right on with the Paramount switch to HDDVD and seems to be very in the know)

Take it how you want, but I think Vurbano and the rest of the BD bashers are gonna be in for a rude awakening in the next couple of months.

Today at 12:17pm Pentan Man posted:

I’ve received a bunch of PM’s about HD DVD bogo sales and what not --currently going on somewhere, or already finished?

After discussions yesterday, I am not concerned about this or any other future HD DVD sales for that matter. Personally now, I think there should be sufficient sales data even without waiting for 5th quarter numbers or beyond.

The only thing on my mind at this time is whether a certain would be totally blu studio gets “exce$$ively mounted” like another one did several months ago to corrupt a reasonable assessment of the situation.

If you guys that are PMing me about HD DVD bogo sales want to worry about something, that is the only possible thing I can see that could potentially derail a good expedited outcome…… and so far, everything is still on track.

Later

Take it how you will. This will be my last post on this topic and in this forum until all of this shakes out, but I felt it needed to be posted since this forum is mainly used for Vurbano's (and a few others) quest against BD and Sony.

:haha I really get a kick out of this part of the article:

LOL

...on a related note, I also received anonymous information just yesterday that said Sony is considering going HD-DVD exclusive...you just never know!!

At least he admitted it (unlike Beatboy).

S~

The whole point of my post was attach rate, I guess I should have stated that so everyone would relize that. We all know PS3's buy some disks but not that many per unit, and that means less to the studios, but is is such a huge install lead that even if its 1 disk per unit it'll give them the lead. But the studios don't want 1 disk per unit they want 200 - 300 as with dvd, a PS3 will never give them that type of average up in the hundreds. A dedicated will.

200-300 with DVD? You're kidding, right? I have about 250 or so, but I'm not naive enough to think everyone else does. No one else I know has more than 100, and the vast majority of the people I know probably have less than 40-50.

Yes, there are some people that have a ton of DVD's, but there's no way the "average" attach rate will ever approach 200 for any format.

Post by Penton Man ( BD Insider that was right on with the Paramount switch to HDDVD and seems to be very in the know)

Take it how you want, but I think Vurbano and the rest of the BD bashers are gonna be in for a rude awakening in the next couple of months.

Today at 12:17pm Pentan Man posted:

Take it how you will. This will be my last post on this topic and in this forum until all of this shakes out, but I felt it needed to be posted since this forum is mainly used for Vurbano's (and a few others) quest against BD and Sony.

Personal quest against Sony. hmmmm.... I think that it all boils down to this.

I don't have it out for Sony. I hate their arrogance, But until they can prove a format is going to be around for 5 + years, I cannot justify buying blue ray.

Sony was smart in away this time with supporting their format. They attached it to their hot top selling console and tried to sell it to everyone that games would be so huge DVD 9 couldn't handle them.

Then they market themselves out of it by offering their system at $600 and $500.

They learned fast that most people are not going to spend that on Video player. So they dropped the price to $400. (first by dumping the $500 units then by creating a new SKU that lacked some of the features of the first 2).

The games are starting to get stronger, But really as the head of Squaresoft said. "Sony really needs to define what this system is all about."

I just don't like the PS3. I will probably own one when the 800lb Gorilla known as Squaresoft drops a couple titles I like on it. But I will buy the PS3 second hand because I do not support this product and don't want Sony to get my money for it.

But format issue is the key. Sony has a track record of screwing up video formats, and until they can prove otherwise. I plain and simple will not bite.

Since the article is on an admitted fan site for HD-DVD:

This web site was started and is maintained entirely by individuals who just love HD DVD

You have to give them props for taking a quote like:

Don Lindich writes on his blog that he got in touch with Jim Noonan, Warner Bros. Senior Vice President and General Manager, for clarification.

Once again Warner responded "We have made no decision to change our present policy which is to produce in both HD DVD and Blu-ray."

As meaning Warner is not going to go BD or even thinking about going BD. All the statement said is that they have not changed their current position. They did not deny thinking about changing positions, to BD, HD-DVD or staying neutral. I do not see how the statement:

the Business Week article (and the studio boss' statement) was false

Can even be concluded.

The article is a good way to counter rumors though, since Warner has not said anything, and continues to say at the present time we are not chaning positions. No way for either BD or HD-DVD to claim one way or another.

Oh My.. this is a hoot. The blue smurfs fawn over the BluFUD.com stories but go into absolute rage mode over artices from this site. Too funny. Entertaining to watch though.

The Year-to-date 3 months ago was 64:36. 2 months ago 64:36. Current Nielsen Videoscan is 65:35.

Please explain by what mathematical process you arrived it your conclusion that the ratio has closed to 60:40 in the past 2-3 months.
I believe in mathmatics its called rounding off. I would contact the author if you want to know more.

If the relationship is as constant as he says rounding is not the answer---unless you think that inconsistent to prove an imaginary trend is somehow a valid mathematical technique.

As for the notion that BD fans sometimes post from sites that exist to support the idea that BD is somehow superior you may have something there. but since you rage on against them when they do and then post this ----how are you any better.

This just reinforces the idea that you post not to shed light on the issue or generate discussion but to see what reaction you can get.

200-300 with DVD? You're kidding, right? I have about 250 or so, but I'm not naive enough to think everyone else does. No one else I know has more than 100, and the vast majority of the people I know probably have less than 40-50.

Yes, there are some people that have a ton of DVD's, but there's no way the "average" attach rate will ever approach 200 for any format.
Dead serious, I have over 200, and most of my friends are in that ballpark or more.

I'm pretty sure its common. Just look at all the DVD's sold and how cheap they are.

Anyone else have a simular amoumt.

Dead serious, I have over 200, and most of my friends are in that ballpark or more.

I'm pretty sure its common. Just look at all the DVD's sold and how cheap they are.

Anyone else have a simular amoumt.

I think people like us are in the minority (I'm around 750 DVDs last count). I have a buddy or two that is close. Most people probably have more like 10-30.

If the relationship is as constant as he says rounding is not the answer---unless you think that inconsistent to prove an imaginary trend is somehow a valid mathematical technique.

Rounding is commonly used around here all the time. I have let the 2 to 1 sales ratio slide for a while. 64:36 is not 2 to 1 but we all round it. It actually makes BD numbers sound better then they are. It rolls off your toung better then 1.77 to 1

Rounding is commonly used. but when you do it---especially when you do it when you are trying to prove a trend---you have to do it CONSISTENTLY. you can't say round to two places in one part of the statement and 3 places in another. it is the lack of consistency that is at issue not the use of rounding per se.

I believe in mathmatics its called rounding off. I would contact the author if you want to know more.

Are you serious?

The Year-to-date ratio increased from 64:36 to 65:35 in Blu-ray's favor over the past three months. So, even if, you took the absurd position of rounding off to the nearest ten, you'd have to state that Blu-ray outsold HD DVD 70:30 over the past 2-3 months. There is no possible way to support the assertion that the ratio has closed to 60:40 on average in the past 2-3 months. The author is lying, plain and simple.

Are you serious?

The Year-to-date ratio increased from 64:36 to 65:35 in Blu-ray's favor over the past three months. So, even if, you took the absurd position of rounding off to the nearest ten, you'd have to state that Blu-ray outsold HD DVD 70:30 over the past 2-3 months. There is no possible way to support the assertion that the ratio has closed to 60:40 on average in the past 2-3 months. The author is lying, plain and simple.
Go talk to the author, but in reality discs sold were probably more like 50:50 considering all the BD freebies maybe even 60:40 in HD DVD's favor. I still wonder what happened to the 3:1 ratio BD enjoyed earlier in the year. At no time did the author mention year to date, only an average over a few recent months.
There's no question that the "format war" is officially a "stalemate" at this time. Both formats' movies have been selling at very close to the same rates in the last few weeks, with Bluray just holding onto the lead, but it's averaged about 60:40 for the last 2 or 3 months, with some weeks as close as 51:49. This week is predicted to be another close week, with the report due on Friday, December 21st.
Why not read the article next time?

Last edited:

Well, you got me curious, I went and counted I have attached 63 HD-DVD items. Most single movies but a few series like Star Trek, Battle Star Galactica, Planet Earth, etc., and 57 BD items, some of them boxed series too (like Smallville).

DVDs I probably have at least 500. Laserdisc probably 250. I probably should go through and count the number that I have on 3 formats. I never really bought many VHS tapes. Only 150 or so prerecorded ones.

I think the key element here is that those who went the PS3 route aren't going to be as beholden to the Blu-ray format as someone who made the personal statement of purchasing a dedicated BD player. These PS3 buyers may be viewed as hedging their bets in the event that Blu-ray withers, they'll still have a game machine with some awesome specs (if not software).

I now own 98 BD movies and many BD owners own many of their movies. How can you make such a lame statement. The bottom line is that anyone with any knowledge of BD would have purchased a PS3 if they were very interested in the BD format as it was the only BD player that could be upgraded to 1.1 and 2.0 when it was released. Smart BD supports would have purchased the PS3 while others who were afraid of a game machine playing movies would be in the 370000 number. When a BD player can outperform the PS3 for the money then I and most of us will buy one. To not give the PS3 its due as the best high def player on either side is like putting on blinders and driving on the freeway. You are just asking for a wreck with your accessment of the slanted post that started this thread.

Toshiba HD-XA2 1080p HD-DVD Player

To not give the PS3 its due as the best high def player on either side is like putting on blinders and driving on the freeway.
Are you saying the PS3 is better then the Toshiba HD-XA2??? You must be joking. Whose got their blinders on now???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts