vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
December 26th 2007
Warner bitten by Bluray problems yet again

On December 21, news broke that Warner Home Entertainment's release of Terminator 3 was marred by a problem. It appears that whoever was doing the encode for Warner was doing a "Fake PiP" second encode. "Fake PiP" is a trick whereby a second encode of a film is done which includes the PiP commentary window "pre-encoded" into it (such as used by Lionsgate in the past) to get around the limitations of Bluray's BD 1.0 "profile", which is unable to decode two video streams, such as how it is done by ALL HD DVD players.

However, it appears that an error was made that forced the playback of the "PiP" version of the movie to only playback in 1080i, instead of 1080p.

The report came only a day after news broke of problems with the company's release of "Blade Runner" to the Bluray format. As a result of apparent Bluray production issues, the fifth disc in the set was actually an incorrectly labelled copy of the first disc.

This news, in turn, came only a week after ANOTHER Bluray manufacturing issue saw HD DVD discs, incorrectly lablled as Bluray, inserted into the Bluray version of some Harry Potter giftsets.

It is unknown what steps in the Bluray production and manufacturing are causing all these problems, but I'd imagine that Warner could NOT be all that happy about it - particularly as it has caused them to receive complaints from customers.

In a post to the one of the forums, an unverified insider who claimed to have insider info on Warner made the following statement:

The blu-ray production problems are pissing people off big time at the company. **'Harry Potter' set, 'T3', and 'Blade Runner' were mentioned by my contact. He said it was turning into some kind of "running joke" within the division but he's been hearing grumbles about it from just about everyone. The most interesting thing he told me was concerning the 'Pirates..' production problem and "at least Disney got it too". I asked my contact about Sony supplimenting Blu production for the Warner inventory and all he said was "that's the only reason certain people here haven't had heart attacks over it."**

As mentioned in the post, Warner is certainly not the only studio to be hit with Bluray production issues, but Warner is certainly the most critical studio for Bluray, if they are to stay in the game.

However, if I were Warner, it would be just another indication that Bluray might not be the best way to go...

HD NOW Online - Warner Bitten by Bluray problems again

Yea, I think there's some crack smoking going on at Warner.

You left out the story of them shipping thousands of canceled DVD orders.

This is really getting sad. "Bluray manufacturing problems"? How is someone at Warner putting an HD-DVD into a Blu-Ray box a "Bluray manufacturing problem"?

Same thing goes for the Blade Runner issue. That's a Warner problem, not a Blu-ray one (kind of like the Disney issues you've harped on constantly).

Even the Terminator thing is not really a Blu-Ray issue... yes, they had to do this because of the 1.0 limitation, but that didn't force them to screw it up.

Even coming from you, Vurbano, this is a little surprising. Well, no, I guess it's really not.

Even the Terminator thing is not really a Blu-Ray issue... yes, they had to do this because of the 1.0 limitation, but that didn't force them to screw it up.

No, that IS a Blu Ray problem because they didn't finalize the specs before releasing it.

When it's Blu ray it's a very BIG deal!! When it's HD DVD it's ok!!

It's only an issue with blue because you guys always harp how much better Blue is because everything is 1080p even the special features.

:D

So this one isn't. It derails all previous arguments you guys had that everything on blue was 1080p.

This is really getting sad. "Bluray manufacturing problems"? How is someone at Warner putting an HD-DVD into a Blu-Ray box a "Bluray manufacturing problem"?

Same thing goes for the Blade Runner issue. That's a Warner problem, not a Blu-ray one (kind of like the Disney issues you've harped on constantly).

Even coming from you, Vurbano, this is a little surprising. Well, no, I guess it's really not.
actually it was reffered to as a manufacturing "issue"

It's only an issue with blue because you guys always harp how much better Blue is because everything is 1080p even the special features.

:D

So this one isn't. It derails all previous arguments you guys had that everything on blue was 1080p.

You're mixing arguments here.

Argument #1: Blu-Ray has special features in HD. Some are in 1080p, some in 1080i, some are not in HD at all. But there have been some high profile releases (see: Harry Potter) where the BD version had extras in HD and the HD-DVD didn't. One would think that (apart from the 51 GB HD-DVD that no one's really using yet) this trend would continue because of the added space of the BD disc. That's different than comparing 1080p and 1080i.

Argument #2: Blu-Ray is better because all PLAYERS are 1080p (all movies are in 1080p for both formats). This is where the gray area comes in that says that 1080i and 1080p for the player doesn't matter much IF you have a TV that will properly convert the 1080i/60 signal back into 1080p. I once thought that this was a bigger deal than I now think it is (back before you guys properly educated me)... personally, I think BD should release a 1080i player that is as cheap as the HD-DVD versions that are 1080i, so there's no confusion any more as to what constitutes an "entry level" player. Then again, why bother if they're getting as close as they are in price now anyway?

You're mixing arguments here.

Argument #1: Blu-Ray has special features in HD. Some are in 1080p, some in 1080i, some are not in HD at all. But there have been some high profile releases (see: Harry Potter) where the BD version had extras in HD and the HD-DVD didn't. One would think that (apart from the 51 GB HD-DVD that no one's really using yet) this trend would continue because of the added space of the BD disc. That's different than comparing 1080p and 1080i.

Argument #2: Blu-Ray is better because all PLAYERS are 1080p (all movies are in 1080p for both formats). This is where the gray area comes in that says that 1080i and 1080p for the player doesn't matter much IF you have a TV that will properly convert the 1080i/60 signal back into 1080p. I once thought that this was a bigger deal than I now think it is (back before you guys properly educated me)... personally, I think BD should release a 1080i player that is as cheap as the HD-DVD versions that are 1080i, so there's no confusion any more as to what constitutes an "entry level" player. Then again, why bother if they're getting as close as they are in price now anyway?
I think the issue in the article was that the BD was playing back the movie at 1080i when it was supposed to be 1080p. But don't let me interrupt youre clever diversion. BTW arguement #2 is only valid if you can see judder or have a 1080p TV that can't do correct inverse telecine, in which case you should get rid of it ayway.

Both sides make whatever argument is convenient and accuse the other side of diversion when they see the other side use it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)