Was anything 'good' said in the conference call today?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rad

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Dripping Springs, TX
Just wondering if anything was said about things besides the financials, like Spaceway 2 status, new channels, new hardware etc???

Nothing about new HD channels--except those 12 top markets who will get HD locals later this year. Thats kind of old news.

Okay--now its Dish Network's turn to do/say something.

Sure there was plenty of news they said the 12 markets will get HD locals Nov 1st. Then as the call went on they began to backpedal and said well as it gets closer we will nail down a date.

Even better they said they will not be competivive in HD until they convert everyone to mpeg 4 which will happen late 06 or 07 oh and HD is really just a buzz right now there really isnt that much demand for it.

I dont know about you guys but it sounds like a great time to be a D* customer. :rolleyes:

That is definately backpedalling from earlier this summer. That sucks though. I thought D* wanted to be the HD leader??

This sounds just like E* a year ago. :mad:

minorthr said:
Even better they said they will not be competivive in HD until they convert everyone to mpeg 4 which will happen late 06 or 07 oh and HD is really just a buzz right now there really isnt that much demand for it.
OK, are they saying ALL customers, SD and HD, or just the HD folks?????

Some highlights from the conference call.

MPEG4 starting Nov 05 switchout mainly '06 thru '07.

Not aggressively competing in HD until MPEG4.

500,000 to 600,000 HD customers will have to be switched out.

96% new customers take local channels. 80% of all customers have locals.

MPEG4 HD receiver significant presence this holiday season.

Moving from Tivo to DirecTv+ DVR, will keep Tivo for customers who request it.

2 year commitment for all new DVRs.

Moving to leased receivers in '06.

Feel Sunday Ticket interactive in '06 will drive new sub growth.

225K new subs for the qtr. 100k of new subs were ParaTodos.

Interested in broadband wireless spectrum, have not decided what/how to do it.

Interested in mobile & handheld wireless video.

Losing subs in HD & HD DVR, doesn't think it is a material number. Waiting on MPEG4 to become aggressive in HD.

Mpeg 4 not until November - ESPN2HD probably will be pushed back then, from the latest rumor of a September launch. I wonder if they are going to try to have both the HD DVR and HD boxes available by the November launch of Mpeg 4.

Not aggressively competing in HD until Mpeg 4 - At they are finally (kinda) admitting it.

Moving from Tivo to DirecTv+ DVR, will keep Tivo for customers who request it - Kinda interesting on keeping the Tivo. I guess we can keep Tivo as long as our current SD Tivos work anyway. The HD Tivo owners will have to switch at some point.

Feel Sunday Ticket interactive in '06 will drive new sub growth - Not if there is another huge price increase.

Losing subs in HD & HD DVR, doesn't think it is a material number - Are they crazy of course it's a material number, we have not gotten any new channels in a long time, the package costs more than E*s + E* got Voom10, the HD DVR was $1000 until very recently, in order to get premium channels HBO & Showtime in HD you have to buy the full packages @ $23.00 (for both), Sunday Ticket now costs an extra $100 for HD, quality channels like TNTHD/StarzHD/InHD etc are still not available (I know I know it's a bandwidth thing) but they sure can show 5 NFL HD games at one time on Sunday Ticket.

Leased receivers is a bad idea. That means I don't get to refresh my equipment when I want to only when they want me to. Sounds just like a cable company.....Back to a BUD system then?

I just spoke to a customer service rep in the retention department. Much as I hate Cablevision, this news makes me want to get off D* until they start offering a better HD selection. I was particularly offended by the "not much demand for HD right now." I told him that I was a little miffed that the attitude was "well, if we lose a few customers over HD, no biggie." The CSR didn't say anything.

He said they plan on launching a "bunch" more HD channels by the end of this year, and then more in 2007. Looks like 2006 will be a "transition" year as they sort out the MPEG4 and local market stuff.

Just some more info.

well I am off to get a hot poker and stick it in my eye. That sucks! :no I have been with D* since 98' and when contract is up next month I might have to turn it off till they add something as I can save money by using local cable company (charter and they suck but offer same HD lineup).

I love my D* Tivos, but the complete lack for progress in HD is frustrating. I'm not waiting till 2007 for more HD and expecting customers to do so is ridiculous. I had hoped that by the time my deal I had with comcast ran out in Sept D* would have HD locals and more HD in place so I could completely dumb Comcast. I hate to say it but for the first time in the 5 years i've had them I think I have to dump D*.

Not good news if you like HD, this kinda sucks.
Charter is looking better and better. At least charter is adding more channels in my area. Maybe they think there is a demand for HD. Thanks again D*

If it wasn't being spoiled by my HR10-250 (and the chance for free upgrades to MPEG4 hardware) I'd be dumping D* today. But after having the Comcast 6412 for three months I can't put up with it's issues and will probably just stick it out. This does s*ck big time though, loose HD customers, no biggie is not the right thing to be saying.

I am terribly confused by this thread. I jsut got my service this week, 3 recievers on tripple LNB with one reciever a H10 for HD service, sunday ticket and superfan.

1) I was told that in september in my market I can expect the addition of between 15 and 30 national HD feeds at no charge with my HD package. The full roll out is scheduled for late fall but they are already up and running and doing internal testing and will be releasing in small dribs and drabs to test markets. This was a supervisor, the CSR couldn't handle the questions I was posing. A lie?

2) I do not have any local OTA HD antennae on my H10, didn't buy or order one, not installed. I have a ton of locals and half of them (NYC feeds) have HD... six or seven channels off the top of my head (fox, abc, couple of nbcs, cbs, etc).

3) Direct star is pushing HD in it's national advertising, how can they contradict themselves so publicly in their conference call? (more of an observation)

4) Counting ST/SF I have a boat load more HD than cablevision offered, though obviously not enough. HD units are flying off the shelves at stores, with crt units coming down to near SD pricing in sales. I actually don't know anyone but my parents who do NOT have at least one HD set in their house now. I may be 'special', but the numbers show a huge trend upwards in sales as the pricing comes down and the industry pushes things along... what friggen lack of demand is there? (another observation).

We all knew this was coming , D is so far behind in HD and they will be for some time to come. I for one will be calling D tomorrow and dropping the HD package and my HD receiver . I know this wont help the fight for more HD but I cant keep paying for 4 channels ( That show the same things over and over again , like the olympics on UHD I think they will be showing them until the next ones in 4 years)

gnnr said:
1) This was a supervisor, the CSR couldn't handle the questions I was posing. A lie? Don't know if I would say it's a lie, the supervisor might have actually believed what they were saying. However the call that I had earlier this week was ESPN2-HD in September then nothing until 2006.

2) I do not have any local OTA HD antennae on my H10, didn't buy or order one, not installed. I have a ton of locals and half of them (NYC feeds) have HD... six or seven channels off the top of my head (fox, abc, couple of nbcs, cbs, etc). Since you don't say where you are not sure what you're actually getting or why. D* has the NYC and LA feeds of ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX up on the 80 range of channel numbers. If you're in the NYC or LA market then you get those automatically if you subscribe to the local channel package. For other areas of the country you need to get waivers to receive them.

3) Direct star is pushing HD in it's national advertising, how can they contradict themselves so publicly in their conference call? (more of an observation) American business at its finest, I don't believe any of them anymore

4) Counting ST/SF I have a boat load more HD than cablevision offered, though obviously not enough. HD units are flying off the shelves at stores, with crt units coming down to near SD pricing in sales. I actually don't know anyone but my parents who do NOT have at least one HD set in their house now. I may be 'special', but the numbers show a huge trend upwards in sales as the pricing comes down and the industry pushes things along... what friggen lack of demand is there? (another observation). But if nobody's watching does it count? A good number of ST sub's did not subscribe to SF or cancelled ST outright (I cancelled my ST) because D* wanted to charge $99 more for the HD games that we had for no additional charge last year. If you take ST/SF out of the picture many cable systems now have more HD channels then D* has.

The delay of the Spaceway 2 satellite might have added a delay to additional channels. And the lines about not being competive until late 2006/early 2007 is what LonghornXP was saying earlier about needing D* 10 and 11 launched before national HD channels start to get rolled out.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I bit the bullet and called Cablevision for an install. I've had nothing but trouble with their cable service in the past (their internet service is A+), but I just can't justify having just spent $500 on an HR10-250 when they're only going to continue to have a handful of HD channels for the near future. I'm bringing it back to Best Buy. CV gave me a good deal being a sat subscriber, and they're even going to pay the $150 early termination fee, since DirecTV said even though I just bought the HDDVR three days ago, they consider me "on the hook" for another year now.

Sad day. I've always had great things to say about D*. Looks like I'll have to wait another couple years before I make my "love D*" speech to anyone again.

I just can't excuse the "oh well, we'll lose a couple subs because of HD, but so what?"

rad said:
The delay of the Spaceway 2 satellite might have added a delay to additional channels. And the lines about not being competive until late 2006/early 2007 is what LonghornXP was saying earlier about needing D* 10 and 11 launched before national HD channels start to get rolled out.

I certainly hope SW1 & 2 will allow for at least a good 30 national HD channels, assuming D* is not adding voom with SW1 & 2. If voom is not added having space for 30+ (the more the better) HD channels is probably all we will really need until 2007. I had put a list together ( http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=72106 ) of all the HD channels out there or soon to be launched and if you take the voom stuff out there is not much more than 30 or so channels although I am sure that between 2006 & 2007 more will be available.

CWS_kahuna said:
I certainly hope SW1 & 2 will allow for at least a good 30 national HD channels, assuming D* is not adding voom with SW1 & 2. If voom is not added having space for 30+ (the more the better) HD channels is probably all we will really need until 2007. I had put a list together ( http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=72106 ) of all the HD channels out there or soon to be launched and if you take the voom stuff out there is not much more than 30 or so channels although I am sure that between 2006 & 2007 more will be available.

Well, if we go back to the http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/aboutus/headline.dsp?id=09_08_2004A press release, even back then D* was talking only LIL HD channels for SW1 and 2, and waiting for D10/D11 for HD nationals.

The first two of these satellites, Spaceway 1 and Spaceway 2, will launch in 2005 with programming being offered to consumers by the middle of the year. These satellites will have the capacity for more than 500 local HD channels. With these satellites, DIRECTV will have the ability to bring local HD programming to most of the U.S. population, as well as continuing to expand standard-definition local offerings and other enhancements.

The next two satellites, DIRECTV 10 and DIRECTV 11, will launch in early 2007. These satellites will have the capacity for more than 1,000 additional local HD channels, more than 150 national HD channels, and other new programming offerings. These satellites will provide DIRECTV the capability to bring local and national HD programming and other advanced services to every U.S. household. Consumers will be able to receive all of these services, as well as existing DIRECTV® programming, with a single small satellite dish.

Hate to say it but what was said in the call today mirrors what they said back on 9/8/2004.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)