Washington D.C. Metro area Voomers

Thanks for the useful information raf and jgan and great pics!

My voom will be installed in a few weeks and I'll see how the installation goes. If the antenna install has problems I may just go straight with Fairfax antenna and, like you say, just get it done right.

Was the rotor you goes got the kind you can move remotely? Would be nice to shift to Baltimore when needed.

John, you are 100% correct. By all means let Voom handle simple installs. However, be prepared to keep your broadcast cable subscription or contract an antenna professional if you live in a difficult reception area.

If you're going to use a rotator, Channel Master makes a pretty good remote controlled unit: http://www.warrenelectronics.com/antennas/9521A.htm

Personally, I prefer using two antennas with a remote controlled A/B switch like this one: http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?cookie_test=1&catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=15-1968 - just program a button on your universal remote and you can switch between DC and Baltimore in a heartbeat. I prefer to watch WUSA-DT, WRC-DT, and WTTG-DT out of DC and WMAR-DT out of Baltimore City. Anyway, it's your choice.

Riff...<EOT>

What's your OTA signal strength?

What OTA signal strength do you get? I'm right in DC, less than 2 miles from a transmitter, and I'm fluctuating between 35-40. I'd expect to be off the charts!

Can some other locals post their OTA strength, so I can get an idea whether I should get up on the roof and re-aim the OTA antenna?

So, here is a question regarding the value of getting both Baltimore and DC stations. I would normally get DC stations. What is the additional value added from getting the Baltimore stations? I know that Baltimore ABC does a better job at broadcasting HD stuff. Is there anything else?

Is Voom faking it

After reading the reviews on Voom (seems to be 50% love-50% hate)I decided to give voom a try.Called 7/23 and rep said install date was 7/30.After all the reviews I have read,with everyone waiting 2-4 weeks,seems as if I am being coned all ready.They had installers name but no number,company was Data Link.Three listed in the phone book-2 disconnected -1 number still active-left a message yesterday but no call back yet.I am self employed and if I wait around Saturday with a no-call,no-show I might get a little pissed(I could go out and make 300-500 instead)How many people here have been jerked around by the installers as far as install dates and workmanship.Has anyone heard of Data Link(info whould be great)Will keep D* up because I want to compare PQ,realibilty,rain fade and such for 4 months and see who holds their own.Would be much easier with a self install

Welcome to the Club
DataLink Installs- 1-888-316-4679
  1. Verify your install date and time
  2. Ask for a sooner date and time(Free Tyson fight on Friday the 30th)
  3. Verify that Tod Reinholtz is your installer- beware of Wiliam Hinkle
  4. If scheduled with Wil reschedule for Tod
  5. Kick back and wait to finally make good use of your HDTV :)

BTW, where in Alexandria are you located?

Datalink also has two local number in the metro area: (703) 906-4540 and (410) 266-3964. Try and coordinate your install through Becky if possible. Tod does an excellent job with the VOOM dish and the Stealth OTA.

Install

Was told that the installer was Chris Smith.I want to mount the dish across my porch on a brick column(opp the D* triple LNB dish)Was wondering if the base(mast support)was the same as D* that way I could drill the holes and set the anchors prior to the install and have the RG6 there already(maybe a cooler full of cold ones)To me this seems to be the best way to go as I am not sure that they will have the material for that kind of install.OTA antenna already on the roof, grounding bars (8') driven in.Iam located appox 1 1/2 miles from Ft Belvoir(north)

Ok, got the new software and did a scan towards DC. It picked up "4-1 CH1". Any idea about this one? Everything else was ok. I think if it's not recognizing Channel 4 as NBC, I won't get the listings for it.

-John

Just got my Voom install information. It is through DataLink -- a fellow named Vernon Cumberbatch. Anyone had experience with him?

I'm tempted to reschedule just because of the name. :)

CH1 4.1 is WRC NBC 4 in DC. They have something configured wrong in thier transmitter.

Hey, is anyone able to receive Channel 54 in Baltimore with the new software? I have a strong signal strength of 91, but Voom's box gives me "no signal" message.

-John

Hoopnoop said:
Just got my Voom install information. It is through DataLink -- a fellow named Vernon Cumberbatch. Anyone had experience with him?

I'm tempted to reschedule just because of the name. :)
Datalink backed out of the install,said I was out of their area(don't think so)was handed over AV Wiring Networks in Maryland(def out of my area).Then get an E-mail from Mike at Installs Inc showing the install at 12-5 as befpre.Get in touch with AV Wiring they don't even have Voom equipement,and can't do install 7/31/04 even if they did.Think they can in another week or so(maybe).So far this is not a good sign,I am not sure why they will not allow a self install,and I think that in the future this will hurt them,anyone can go to the store and buy D* equip and install single/dual/triple LNB dishes and they are on their way,or choose to have a pro install.as far as the software download I think that configuring a computer would harder than configuring a Voom box.
Sorry for the rant,communications are a must within a company and somethingis wrong here

Update:Was to get a call from the installer yesterday afternoon or early evening.Well that didn't happen-Vooms installers are not looking to professional at this time

Update 8/3/04 Well the second company has not called back as of this date,so I guess there is no install on 8/6/04.Voom did call to see how everything was going,reply was that it isn't going, wanted to know about a possible install in 10-12 days,they don't seem to have any idea whats going on,nice and polite but no idea whats going on.I said if they can get something rolling today and install this week before Friday, go for it ,if not I will get back too them about a date in the near future(which I probably won't ) This is starting to look like the Voom Comedy Hour.They really need to start self installs-hell your pointing a dish 166 S at an elevation of 42 degrees(for my location give or take a little) and down loading some software to a stb(and it's a single lnb with no tilt)my 15 year old son helped a friends father install a D* triple lnb,he a was able to set the azimuth/tilt/elevation

So, anyone else notice Baltimore 45 isn't broadcasting anymore? I have had 0 signal since yesterday. Hopefully they are just upgrading their equipment (I noticed they started using HD recently).

Also, rumor is that 54 will be HD/5.1 by the end of the month... we'll see...

-John

Hi all!

Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm now officially a Voomer!

I had my installation done yesterday with no problems. The guy was from DataLink though his name escapes me. He definitely knew what he was doing and even took the initiative to put the dish and antenna in a hidden spot on the roof (to appease my fiance). The appointment was for 8 to 12 -- he showed up at 8:30 and was done by 10:00. Very nice job!

Even though I'm in Leesburg, I didn't need an antenna upgrade -- he installed the Winegard Sensar which worked fine. Generally, the signal strength for the dish and locals is 90+. These are the channels that I get:

4,5,7,9,13 (strangely enough),26,30 I also had some come in in the 40s this morning.

I do have one problem. My channel 5.1 has a strong signal and says it is broadcasting Fox but it is showing NBC. So, I can't seem to get Fox. Any suggestions? Should I do a factory reboot?

Also, how does the STB update any new local channels that you might suddenly get? Do I need to run something or will it simply add these over night if I leave it on standby?

Anyway, only glitch so far is the Fox thing. Otherwise, I am very pleased.

Fixed Channel 5 Problem

So, I was able to fix my channel 5 problem by rescanning the local channels. I even fixed it in time to watch a fox show in hd last night (guess they were experimenting with it).

Anyway, the ota scanning function worked very well and I would encourage everyone with the new software to do it. There is little risk as it adds new channels without losing old ones. To scan, you push the green button and then select system setup. Then there is a menu and you select the last entry which I think is for installers. Then you select the installation wizard and the local scan and walla!

My local scan showed the following:

4 at 94 strength
5 at 90 strength
7 at 99 strength
9 at 99 strength
11 at 84 strength
13 at 88 strength
26 at 95 strength
30 at 90 strength

I also get 50 and 53 from my original scan but these fade in and out.

Keep in mind that the strength measures are not the normal OTA signal strength but are based on a special voom formula described in other threads. A scan in the low 80s, like 11 for me, tends to break up a fair amount. But my other locals have been clear and consistent.

I am still getting used to my setup but overall I'm a very pleased voomer! I have to say that the remote and program guide are great -- I love the ability to just see what's on in hd. The remote is simple but effective.

My only gripe is that some of the HD channels have limited programming and suspect PQ but I know that will improve in time. But I really enjoy having a lot of HD choice! Anxiously waiting on an HD PVR like everyone else!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts