Washington D.C. Metro area Voomers

Yes, strangely enough I get channel 13 very well and 11 is sort of hit or miss. I'm in Leesburg which is about 50 miles southwest of Baltimore (123 degrees or so on the antenna) and am using the basic Winegard Sensar antenna. DC is about 30 miles and is about at 85 degrees. The antenna is pointing towards Washington so just how I am getting some Baltimore channels is a mystery to me. But I'm having trouble getting WB50 which is in Arlington. Go figure. Perhaps the antenna is actually pointing a bit north of DC.

Anyway, I would encourage everyone to do the channel scan and see what happens. Maybe you'll pick up something you don't expect!

Rescanned again last night and added 2 and 22. Last night I got all the Balitmore stations fine in addition to DC. Total line-up is 2,5,7,9,11,13,22,26,30,50,53,66. Pretty amazing! I have to say that I feel like a kid in a candy store with this new software scanning!

Hoopnoop,

I'm down in the Fredericksburg area and receive both the DC locals (51+ miles) and Baltimore City locals (90+miles). However, the Baltimore locals will pretty much disappear from my radar screen during the winter months (Nov-Feb). I don't mean to burst your bubble, but you may have a more difficult time picking up the Baltimore channels later in the year. Personally, WJLA-DT has forgotten to flip the HD switch during a number of key events so I often depend on WMAR-DT to save the day.

VOOM is currenty running their limited "Free Installation" infomercial on WDCA...with old pricing too. The free installation link www.voom.com/free takes you right back to the main page. Ugh! Somebody screwed up!!!

I wonder if they are still running this old infomercial in other parts of the county?

Thanks for the feedback riff! I guess I'm just happy to be getting any Baltimore stations given that I haven't upgraded my antenna. I guess I'll just see what I lose in the winter and decide whether or not an antenna upgrade is needed.

2 ?s for you guys

Can you rotate the Winegard Senstar? I thought it was omni-directional?
I'd actually like to rotate it towards Baltimore (if it will make a difference) in order to pick up those stations, hoping that because of the close proximity to DC, the signal strength from the DC stations is enough for them to be able to be scanned. There are a couple of B-more staions that are tettering in the fifties that i figure if I rotate the antenna, that could make the difference.
I'm in northern PG county, just inside the beltway.

Also, I was out of town this weekend and was curious about how signal strength was with all the rain we got?

Also - I'm not happy about the lack of a NBC SD feed. I do not get either east or west coast feed.

Hey Franjo!

Not sure about rotating the Sensar -- I would like to find out for myself. I've checked the Winegard web site but couldn't tell from there. So, any info in that area would be useful to me as well...

Have you done a channel scan with the new software? Just wondering about your readings as mine tend to be in the 80s and 90s, based on a Voom formula. My Baltimore stations are typically in the low to upper 80s...

I also have basic cable on my other TVs so I'm not too bent out of shape about the Olympics on NBC SD. But it does suck that we are getting only the delayed HD feed on the NBC HD channels...

I also don't get 321 which is strange because DC NBC is an o&o station. Is anyone in the DC area getting 321?

Hoop,

I DO get 321. This is the tricky part of this whole deal. Channel 4 doesn't multi cast (in DC). So, I get the HD feed on Voom, but I also get the same feed on Channel 4's digital OTA, which means I get 2 channels of the same thing, but I no longer recieve regular NBC programming. NBC really messed this up. Now I'm going to have to pull of the diplexor (on the back of the Voom box), and split a feed from the antenna to go directly into my sets regular antenna input (i've done this before. it's a good way to get really good reception using the installed antenna to your other TV sets.)

Yep, i have done the new channel scan, i just cant get the B-more stations to 80 (which we need for it to lock in).

I got rid of Comcast when I got Voom.

Am getting 321 out here in Warrenton, as well as 593 for the regular NBC programming. It's a big shame that NBC is showing the HD feed on 24 hr delay, they really dropped the ball on this one.

I'm getting the HD feed on 321 down here in Fredericksburg (Washington DMA - 55 miles), but I am ineligible for SD feeds on 593 & 594 because, according to VOOM, I can receive NBC analog from Richmond (51 miles) and Charlottesville (52 miles). :confused:

I have two UHF antennas, one pointed toward DC/Baltimore and one pointed toward Richmond: can't pick up Charlottesville - don't have VHF antenna - the Richmond NBC DTV antenna is 500ft lower than their competitors (I receive ABC and CBS just fine). If it weren't for lineline cable, I would have no other reliable way of watching live Olympic coverage. What's really funny is Installs Inc. relies on Antennaweb.org, which says I am unable to receive any digital locals in my area:
:haha
WUSA-DT: 97
WJLA-DT: 98
WRC-DT: 94
WTTG-DT: 90
WBDC-DT: 88
WNVT-DT: 99
:haha
Eligible for High Definition Olympic Service
Not Eligible for Standard Definition Olympic Service

Call sign Is NBC OO?
WRC Yes
WVIR No
WWBT No

I called Voom and they added 321 for me but can't get 593 and 594. I assume this is because I am within striking distance of Baltimore (50 miles or so). I'm going to check tonight to see if the Baltimore NBC SD feed has the olympics as I usually get that channel. I also have Adelphia for now on my SD tvs so I can use those if need be. Its ashamed to have to choose between semi-live SD coverage and 24 hour delayed HD coverage. Its even a greater shame that some Voomers can't even get SD or have to go to a lot of trouble to get it.

This is probably obvious to all but I was able to get the semi-live Olympics feed on Baltimore channel 11-2 last night. Also, this morning my fiance wanted to watch the Today show but could night on channel 4 (24 hours of olympics) and so she had to use 11-2. Looks like getting the Baltimore stations has some value added.

Hoopnoop said:
This is probably obvious to all but I was able to get the semi-live Olympics feed on Baltimore channel 11-2 last night. Also, this morning my fiance wanted to watch the Today show but could night on channel 4 (24 hours of olympics) and so she had to use 11-2. Looks like getting the Baltimore stations has some value added.

Yeah, 11 doing something right for once. :) I think the SD is still streched, tho.

Well, I'm having trouble getting Baltimore the last few nights so no semi-live olympics. This experience is letting me know of the importance of getting channels from different areas OTA. Anyone find out if the Sensar can be rotated? Wondering if I simply get a rotor if it will work on the Sensar? Or, alternatively I can spend the big bucks and just get a new antenna installation with rotor? Any thoughts?

I just got VOOM installed. I live in Herndon over in the Dulles Green Apartments. Well the VOOM installation went just fine, but I am having some huge problems with the OTA channels.

Now I went through most of this thread, but I can't seem really to find the correct answer. I am going to call VOOM and Data LInk again to have them come and try to fix this. I had Chris Smith come out and do my install.

Currently, I have the Winegard Sensar antenna installed. What is the next one that they will try? Is there one I should have them try instead? Is there something maybe I can do instead. My apartment faces the south just fine, but my building is blocking the Norther, and Most of the Eastern Views..

Thanks for your guys help.

RaginBajin said:
My apartment faces the south just fine, but my building is blocking the Norther, and Most of the Eastern Views..

Given the DC and Balt transmitters are probably E or NE of you, you might be in for a tough time with OTA. I don't think Voom has a specific antenna they always upgrade to, it might be in your interest to do some research yourself, figure out what is best for your situation, then ask Voom for this specific antenna. I've read of people doing this. Try posting on the general forum here, or at AVS Forum, there are a lot of knowledgeable people out there who can help. Also, check antennaweb to see what exact direction the transmitters are.

Good luck.

RaginBajin said:
I think I'm doomed for HD Local channels.. There must be something else that I can do..
Where are you located and what are you specific issues? I'm down in Fredericksburg and received DTV from DC, Baltimore, Richmond and Charlottesville. Just as long as you can errect an antenna, aren't too far away and have clear LOS, then reception should be possible. VOOM will ensure you have an upgraded antenna!

Assuming that you have exhausted all of your options for getting the HD locals OTA, then this would seem to be your alternatives:

Voom is now offering NBC HD on channel 321 but that's it for now and I'm not sure if that will be permenant. As far as I've read, Voom does not plan to add any network HD feeds but you should check the various threads on that.

D* is soon to offer NBC and FOX HDs without need for OTA reception. You may need a waiver to get NBC.

Cox (I'm assuming they are your cable provider) has NBC, ABC and CBS at this point in HD. One would think they would add Fox soon but who knows. They also have an HD PVR (the Scientific Atlantic 8000) which can be used to record stuff in high def.

I think your bottomline problem is that Voom is designed around getting OTA reception of local HD channels so if you can't do that then you need to trade-off the extra Voom HD programming against the extra local HDs you could get elsewhere. A tough situation!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)