Washington D.C. Metro area Voomers

WUSA-DT Multicasting and PQ Issues...

Received the following e-mail reply concerning WUSA-DT's PQ issues that appeared after they started multicasting the weather/radar (9-2). I haven't seen a problem with US Open tennis, but the real test will come with today's NFL action. I won't get an opportunity to watch much football today, but I'm sure everyone will keep an eye out for softness, artifacts, etc.:

Thank you for your e-mail.

We have been able to duplicate some of the issues you were seeing. We have made some changes to our Flexicoder configuration, including reducing the number of I-frames transmitted on 9.2. We were able to reduce the bandwidth used by 9.2 and give that bandwidth back to 9.1.

That seems to have cleared up the problems we were seeing.

Please let me know how it looks on your receiver.

We plan to upgrade the Flexicoder software later this month. That may allow us to further reduce the bandwidth needed for 9.2.

Regards,

Technology Mgr., WUSA-TV

Cool that WUSA is listening to you. :) I like the radar channels (2 & 9), and they shouldn't take much away from the HD picture. Only thing that I have noticed on 9-2 is they have the audio from 9-1. (2-3 has no audio). If they got rid of the audio, it would probaly save a little as well.

-John

I have always had problems picking up channel 7 ,voom upgraded antenna to the wineguard and i continued to have problems.
Today i went to RS and bought a 15-2160 antenna put it up and now have a 90+ signal on all locals i care about.
My question is i just unplugged the old antenna which was amplified and plugged the new one in.I am using a diplexor from the original install will i cause any damage to the stb since the old antenna was powered ?

Well Woot. VOOM came and installed an upgraded antenna that is powered. I am now able to get NBC, ABC, FOX, PBS, and CBS. Can't get the other channels. Might have to start doing some tweaking, but the antenna is huge. Hopefully the apartment complex doesn't have any issues with it.

I hate to break it to you, but WB54 hasn't shown any HD or DD5.1 material yet. It shouldn't be long though.

Yeah, they started HD on 9/22. Its funny that they usually have the SD material on the x.2 subchannel like they do for 45.2. Also they have the DD5.1 flag set on all the time, but they haven't yet had any DD5.1 material to broadcast.

Cyclone said:
Yeah, they started HD on 9/22. Its funny that they usually have the SD material on the x.2 subchannel like they do for 45.2. Also they have the DD5.1 flag set on all the time, but they haven't yet had any DD5.1 material to broadcast.

For me, I get SD on 54.1 and HD on 54.2. Seems backwards to me, but atleast I can tune it. Maybe its just the Voom box switching them up.

-John

RaginBajin said:
Well Woot. VOOM came and installed an upgraded antenna that is powered. I am now able to get NBC, ABC, FOX, PBS, and CBS. Can't get the other channels. Might have to start doing some tweaking, but the antenna is huge. Hopefully the apartment complex doesn't have any issues with it.
RaginBajin,

What ever happened with your antenna issues? I sure hope you got them squared-away and didn't have any problems with your apartment manager!

Just a miscellaneous note for anyone getting an new install. If Datalink is assigned to perform your installation, go ahead and request Tod. He was always been an outstanding Sat installer, but he is now very experienced with the PR-8800 and the CM-4228...and Richmond and DC OTA issues to boot!

Datalink also has two local number in the metro area: (703) 906-4540 and (410) 266-3964. Try and coordinate your install through Becky if possible. Insist on Tod and be willing to wait for him to handle your VOOM installation - you won't be sorry!

ota and preview guide comments

well, i'm not going to go into all the hassle because i happen to be pleased to be with this emerging technology. but after a lot of calls, and i mean a LOT (customer service remained outstanding) and 4 redos of my ota installation (datalink got it right - some others were screwing me), i get 18 ota channels, including a bunch of the strange ass Mhz channels and 4 wetas. still no 50 or 20. tho the thing on my roof looks like an cubist sculpture of an ancient greek sail done in aluminium.... overall, i'm pleased.

BUT - my preview guide pretty much sucks. the 10 voom movie channels are often wrong and the-powers-that-be don't even make an effort to support information for weta (my favorite channel - and i don't like missing "frontline" or "nova") or the Mhz channels.

does anyone experience the same?

btw & fwiw, i'm in the wheaton area.

cheers!

Panther61 said:
Anyone from Cecil country Maryland (specifically North East Maryland) receiving OTA channels w/o a gigantic antenna? I live in a condo.

Thanks!

Just a guess, but you will probably have good results with an 8 bay bow-tie antenna. I'm thinking you might be a bit far out for the Square Shooter. I've used both in Columbia, MD and the bow-tie design works significantly better.

-John

This thread used to be a lively place. What happened? Hopefully things will once again come-to-life with the new customer promotion, current customer promotion (December 1st), VOOM's announcement to support 70 HD channels by March, and the release of the HD DVR in January.

riffjim4069 said:
This thread used to be a lively place. What happened?

Thats good news in my book. That means that DataLink has finally figured out how to install an OTA antenna with Voom such that it will actually receive channels. :)

Seriously, tho. Not much new happening. All the locals are HD except UPN (24 & 20). 20 is still way underpowered. 11 still is strech-o-vision, and 7 still doesn't have DD5.1.

-John

Actually, I've read that UPN 20 is in HDTV. Its just that no one can see it outside of NW DC. I was able to tune in UPN 24 once, but it is SD only.

Good news! This morning, I had an appointment with DataLink to re-align my dish. They called ahead and arrived within the 4 hour window. The guy actually knew what he was doing as well. :) So now I have a nice 87/88 on a drizzly overcast day. Not too bad. He did say the dish was loose (probably the wind storms last week).

-John